Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

I now have the D3200, but need help please?

I now have the new D3200 with the 18-55mm kit lense. I feel really restricted as I can't zoom in as far as I want to for macro shots or landscapes. Will it be worth buying a Tamron 70-300mm telephoto lense? And as I am looking to do a lot of portraits, indoor and out, which lense would you recommend for this?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

uzi9mm e2
3 79 United Kingdom
30 Jul 2012 6:51PM
have a look at nikons 55-300mm it complerments the kitt lens nicely and i've had some great pictures out of mine.
213hardy e2
6 643 England
30 Jul 2012 8:40PM

Quote:Have a look at nikons 55-300mm it complements the kit lens nicely and i've had some great pictures out of mine.

Like wise, alternatively you could get a set of macro filters.
Thanks for the comments however the Nikon 55-300mm is out of my price range.

??
213hardy e2
6 643 England
30 Jul 2012 9:50PM

Quote:Thanks for the comments however the Nikon 55-300mm is out of my price range.

I found one in the classified on here, before that i used a 55-200mm also nikon, could also try http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/
Ahh, I like the sound of the prices on that website. Will probably end up ordering on from there now then Smile Do you know if you can track the orders with parcelforce. I've had a lot of problems with deliveries recently etc
Could try the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro, about 190 and they are brilliant for the price
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
31 Jul 2012 11:19AM
I'd urge you to get used to the kit lens first and work out a way of taking meaningful pictures with the 18-55 lens.

Whenever you feel the need for some facility you haven't got, write it down in a notebook and in as much detail as you can. After a few weeks, you can review your notes and they'll give you a clear idea of what you need.

For example, if you often feel the need for the lens to go closer at the 55mm end, a sensible next purchase would be a 60mm Micro Nikkor.

When you buy your lenses one at a time, each new lens will get enough use to earn its keep.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
12 Aug 2012 8:46PM

Quote:I'd urge you to get used to the kit lens first and work out a way of taking meaningful pictures with the 18-55 lens.

Whenever you feel the need for some facility you haven't got, write it down in a notebook and in as much detail as you can. After a few weeks, you can review your notes and they'll give you a clear idea of what you need.

For example, if you often feel the need for the lens to go closer at the 55mm end, a sensible next purchase would be a 60mm Micro Nikkor.

When you buy your lenses one at a time, each new lens will get enough use to earn its keep.

Occasionally beginners will find some real gems of wisdom on here.

That was one of them.
Hinksy e2
2 7 United Kingdom
1 Sep 2012 9:27PM
When I first started out with the D3100 I also bought the Tamron 70-300mm and I loved it, it was brilliant, now I know it's nothing special the Photography veterans will probably tell you that, but at 100 which is what I paid for it, it was great, allowed me to toy about with a bit of macro and it was fast for bird shots.... (Birds that fly in the air!!)

I do recommend getting it, I know others will tell you not to get it, wait and see what you want to photograph first, get used to the kits lens and all of that, but if it's the Tamron I am thinking of at just 100 then it's a bargain and sure to keep you happy and motivated for a while.

The 40mm macro, is another one I bought, now it's not brilliant for macro with insects and fast moving creatures but it is superb for slow moving insects, bugs etc... It's also fantastic for close up's of flowers, it's not too expensive and it's a great start out to see if you want to do some serious Macro. That said the Tamron 70-300mm 1.2 macro is good enough for toying about with some macro shots.

You will not be dissapointed buying the Tamron, opens a whole new world!!
Focus_Man 4 481 631 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2012 11:30AM

Quote:I now have the new D3200 with the 18-55mm kit lense. I feel really restricted as I can't zoom in as far as I want to for macro shots or landscapes. /quote]

This lens is ideal for landscapes, at the risk of some challenges, I would say that 99% of landscapes are taken at or close to the widest FL of this lens so it should prove to be ideal for that.

Now macro is another thing, is the Tamron 70-300 a macro lens? I would doubt it although a lot of lenses like sigma 70-300, which I use, has a macro feature but as I understand it, not a true macro lens.

For close-ups which I think you mean, I can get very close with the Nikon 18-105 kit lens.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.