Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I prefer to get it right in camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014814 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

In less than 1000 words, describe your gut reaction to reading those words in a forum discussion
Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AlanPerkins
12 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

I spy a blue touch paper about to be lit Wink

JohnParminter
12 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

Flawed. One word is enough.

I prefer to get it right about 6 months to a year before I use the camera in research, vision, inspiration, commitment, planning and preparation.

Last Modified By JohnParminter at 12 May 2013 - 10:14 AM
tpfkapm
tpfkapm  3142 forum posts United Kingdom
12 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

when?

LesJD
LesJD  2146 forum posts Wales
12 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

I prefer to get it right in camera to make it easier to perfect in post.

pmorgan
pmorgan  7217 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

Presumably you want a few honest answers here as well Ade, as opposed to the hornets nest that you've just smashed open Wink

I like to get things as good as I can in camera, but I also enjoy the processing of my images just as much. Shooting in RAW as I do, a certain amount of work needs to be done in the "digital darkroom" just to process the shot to get it looking like the scene you initially captured. However, then comes the fun part, which is where I guess most "purists" get all out of shape, is the creative or artisitic side of taking things further and producing an image that has more mood or drama than the flat processed original had. At the end of the day it's all down to personal taste - you do things for yourself first and foremost, and if anyone else likes it, then that's a bonus.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

No camera can replicate what the eye sees...and no one person will "see" the same picture, therefore, I would suggest that "get it right in camera" is not a phrase that is definable.

You can shoot the image to any setting you like and it may please you...but a RAW shot is the camera's interpretation of the settings (or even a mathematical equation based on the parameters programmed into the circuit board (Digital)) which leaves you to decide how you wan the end product to look. Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014814 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

Its a bit like saying

"I prefer not crashing"

when referring to driving

or

"I prefer not stabbing myself in the eye with a fork"

when referring to eating

or

"I prefer hitting the right notes"

when referring to musicians playing tunes

It doesn't need to be said, ever, because it's axiomatic.

so my reaction is.... "what a t0sser" Wink

llareggub
llareggub  4698 forum posts United Kingdom
12 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

I will avoid poking the bear, but I like to get it right in the camera too but my thoughts on that differ from the typical tirade offered by those that usually utter those words.

"Getting it right in the camera" to me means that I use the camera as a tool to produce a foundation of the final image that I want to produce, quite often that means that the RAW "product" direct from my camera looks relatively over exposed with a fairly neutral colour palatte, it is also quite often a little looser in the framing than the final image in order to enable me to make the final tweaks and produce the image I want to produce and not the image that the camera wants to produce.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73878 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

Quote: In less than 1000 words, describe your gut reaction to reading those words in a forum discussion
Wink

One word would suffice Ade "B*****ks" Tongue

But to expand, if you would say optimise the image as best you can in camera, then I would agree, then use the digital darkroom to fine tune just as it was in film days, just as was / is used in a wet darkroom.

I would even say that for DMs as each element should be photographed to get the best out of it.

Why restrict yourself to a single tool it's like asking a painter to use only one brush.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 12 May 2013 - 11:04 AM
Big Bri
Big Bri  1315586 forum posts United Kingdom
12 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

Ade, what you said.

"I prefer to get it right in camera" - implying, that if the poster doesn't get it right, he/she throws it away?

When someone says that, it usually sounds like sour grapes to me - read "I'm crap at Photoshop".

Or perhaps it's a purist who believes that photographs should only ever represent what you actually saw, possibly aided by some grad filters, and that anything else is heresy.

??

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315586 forum posts United Kingdom
12 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

Or an artist - "I prefer to finish a painting in one sitting"

scottishphototours

I prefer to get it as right as possible in camera to reduce the time I have to sit at a computer mucking around with it afterwards. Simple.

But that's just me. I know that these days I'm in a minority...

Evertonian
12 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Nick gets it right with B******S.

'Getting it right in the camera' means getting the result that the camera's PC programmer prefers as the best option for those who cannot process it further.

Last Modified By Evertonian at 12 May 2013 - 11:08 AM
kodachrome
12 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

I see what you mean but 'getting it right in camera' can only be the base for further tweaking out side camera, unless you are pleased with the in camera results.

I often process RAW files in camera, but mostly PP out of camera. It depends if more PP/tweaks are required. Don't forget, that the final image will be subjective as good as it might be to your eyes.
I had these on going problems at my camera club competitions where you could never please all the judges all the time.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.