Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I prefer to get it right in camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MichaelMelb_AU
12 May 2013 - 2:20 PM

Many digital cameras have an option for blown highlights being indicated on the camera monitor. RAW or JPG - not much (if anything) to be saved there.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 May 2013 - 2:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes
12 May 2013 - 2:22 PM

Quote: In less than 1000 words, describe your gut reaction to reading those words in a forum discussion

Oh not again - quick hide the thread Grin

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72344 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2013 - 2:42 PM

Getting it right in camera might involve blowing the highlights.
Getting the rest of the image details exposed correctly might mean that the highlights are blown,
in order that the darker shadowy areas of the image retain detail/colour information.
This is based on the assumption that 'exposing to the right' is a safer bet for 'getting it right....'?

Last Modified By arhb at 12 May 2013 - 2:42 PM
redsnappa
redsnappa  121936 forum posts United Kingdom
12 May 2013 - 3:20 PM

Quote: I prefer to get it right in camera

when translated means "I don't know how to work computers and I can't fathom out how to use Photoshop".

Last Modified By redsnappa at 12 May 2013 - 3:21 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315691 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2013 - 3:34 PM

Quote: Its a bit like saying

"I prefer not crashing"

when referring to driving

or

"I prefer not stabbing myself in the eye with a fork"

when referring to eating

or

"I prefer hitting the right notes"

when referring to musicians playing tunes

It doesn't need to be said, ever, because it's axiomatic.

so my reaction is.... "what a t0sser"

Not the same is it, what if its someone photographing your wedding, surely getting it right in camera is just the base line, or would you just regard them as being tossers as well Smile

snapbandit
snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2013 - 3:39 PM

Quote: when translated means "I don't know how to work computers and I can't fathom out how to use Photoshop".

when translated means "I don't know how to use my camera & will rely on a software programmer to fix my pix for me" TongueTongue

Seriously though, both statements are black & white generalisations - neither is totally correct!
WinkWink

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014846 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2013 - 4:24 PM

unusual for you to be so way off the point Paul Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315691 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2013 - 4:27 PM

Yeh my heads hurting Smile

But I know were your coming from.

Like when you question someone over a picture, they say the like to get it right in camera, yet there`s no emotion, just nothing Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 12 May 2013 - 4:31 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014846 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2013 - 4:31 PM

awwww - too much shandy last night Wink

send you some co-codimol down lol

ok - are there any people out there who don't like getting it right in camera?

Flip it a bit...

ade_mcfade
12 May 2013 - 4:33 PM

a few more ....

when playing snooker, most people would like to get it right - i.e. get a good safety/snooker/pot (whatever's appropriate)

when striking in football, I would prefer to score a goal

when taking a photo I prefer to get it right in camera

when cooking a meal, I prefer not to ruin it

when breathing, I prefer oxygen to be present

Wink

Paul Morgan
12 May 2013 - 4:38 PM

This all depends, right is sometimes wrong Smile

Depends on what your doing Smile

ade_mcfade
12 May 2013 - 4:41 PM

not the oxygen one though Wink

I do enjoy breathing that...

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315605 forum posts United Kingdom
12 May 2013 - 7:04 PM

Bored today Ade?

Wink

mikehit
mikehit  56748 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2013 - 9:18 AM

In my film days 'getting it right in camera' meant I knew what the printer's auto machines were going to spit out into that little envelope (and different labs may do different things).
In digital, 'getting it right in camera' to me means knowing what jpeg file is going to come out of the camera's processing engine for any given picture style.
Shooting raw, its meaningless because what comes out depends on how I process it - I can, however expose in a way that maximises my options: for example, ETTR goes against everything that 'getting I right in camera' means but it gives you the best option for maximising detail (if that is what you want) and it often makes a sh!t photograph if processed using a defined picture style.

ade_mcfade
13 May 2013 - 9:45 AM

Quote: Bored today Ade?

Wink

yeah - mild hangover (so listless) and crap weather (so stuck inside)

I'd read this just once too often... and it always comes across a bit like "Sheldon" talking down to everyone. Everyone who has ever held a camera prefers to get it right in camera.... what they do after that is up to them, but getting a good shot is whole point of the exercise Wink

anyway - got a few meetings today so best get off here

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.