Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

I prefer to get it right in camera

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
13 May 2013 1:09PM
Smug was indeed the first word that came to mind, but axiomatic is a great word - now i looked it up.

The real answer is what's the task in question? 100 subjects to shoot in an hour in what ever the weather is doing at the time, or one product shot in a studio with 2 days to take the shot.

Self evidently (axiomatic) its much nicer to get it much closer first time, but we don't all always have the luxury of time, kit and helpers at shoot time to achieve this. If indeed its even possible as the client may indeed want a blended composite image anyway.

If its a self made pinhole film camera competition then maybe I'd agree on banning PS and only exhibiting on slides and projectors.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
13 May 2013 2:11PM
At the recent 1st 10th NW Meet I was interested to see that Pete (Goggz) had a new camera which allowed him to tweak things like the tone curve actually in camera.

Does that mean that these people will now be saying "I prefer to get it right at the point at which I press the shutter release"?

Either way I can think of a number of words to describe their attitude, none of them very complimentary.
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
13 May 2013 2:42PM

Quote:In less than 1000 words, describe your gut reaction to reading those words in a forum discussion

Ade is trying to stir things up again.

Smile
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
13 May 2013 3:39PM
Axiomatic - Great! I learnt a new word today. Smile
Now all I've got to do is take a perfect photo in camera. Never done it yet. Smile
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
13 May 2013 4:38PM

Quote:In less than 1000 words, describe your gut reaction to reading those words in a forum discussion

Ade is trying to stir things up again.

Smile

....someone needs to Wink

like a morgue in here these days!
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
13 May 2013 4:42PM
20 years ago most people had no choice but to get it right in camera, so much so that the phrase wouldn't have even registered with them. ....

...and there are still photographers today who having pressed the shutter button envisage a minimal amount of post processing beyond contrast, color and sharpening. So the phrase cannot be dismissed with the word bollocks, without belittling those who choose to work in such a way.

Crap in, crap out
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
13 May 2013 4:48PM
In the days of film I must admit I did try harder. Well, either that or waste a whole shedload of money. Maybe only three or four on a roll of 24 would turn out OK though. B/w was much more forgiving than colour too.

But who wants a perfect in-camera shot? Do the best you can, but personally I enjoy the pp work and if I can make a silk purse out of a sow's whatsit then I feel as if I've learned or achieved something. If/when I take a shot that needs minimal work I feel a bit cheated. But that doesn't mean I don't try - I just don't sweat it.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
13 May 2013 6:35PM

Quote:If/when I take a shot that needs minimal work I feel a bit cheated.

Love this quote Chris - made me smile Smile
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
13 May 2013 6:39PM

Quote:If/when I take a shot that needs minimal work I feel a bit cheated.

Love this quote Chris - made me smile Smile

reach for a texture layer and some mysterious text.... or a musical score at least Wink
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
13 May 2013 7:18PM

Quote:reach for a texture layer and some mysterious text.... or a musical score at least
I find running it through a couple of artistic filters works for me. I'm a simple soul. Grin But a poem might be a good idea. Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
13 May 2013 7:52PM

Quote:20 years ago most people had no choice but to get it right in camera, so much so that the phrase wouldn't have even registered with them. ....

...and there are still photographers today who having pressed the shutter button envisage a minimal amount of post processing beyond contrast, color and sharpening. So the phrase cannot be dismissed with the word bollocks, without belittling those who choose to work in such a way.

Crap in, crap out

I wonder how many of today's wedding photographers would use film if the customer requested it, I bet more than a few will run a mile Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
13 May 2013 7:57PM

Quote:At the recent 1st 10th NW Meet I was interested to see that Pete (Goggz) had a new camera which allowed him to tweak things like the tone curve actually in camera.

Does that mean that these people will now be saying "I prefer to get it right at the point at which I press the shutter release"?

You can do this with the OMD, works in live video as well, and no more guess work in long exposers, you can watch the scene develop on the rear screen, using live bulb mode Smile
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
13 May 2013 7:59PM
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark?

Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
13 May 2013 8:08PM
Only if your using IS, it sings Smile
redhed17 9 679 England
14 May 2013 1:42PM

Quote:20 years ago most people had no choice but to get it right in camera, so much so that the phrase wouldn't have even registered with them. ....

A lot of people think they got perfect exposures when they were shooting with film, but there was a big latitude for getting the exposure incorrect. (transparency aside) And if you sent the film away to be processed, which the vast majority of people did, their machines corrected a lot of your mistakes, giving you the impression that you were getting the exposure 'correct' more than you were. Only when you got things very wrong did you get a sticker informing you of your mistakes.

The person who processed their own film, and printed their pictures in a dark room had most control over the whole process, but they were few in number despite the impression you may have in a place like here. Now similar levels of control are within reach of more people, and you have to make the best image you can, rather than accepting what you got back in your prints. There are still those who want the final image to come out of the camera with little or no input from themselves. If they are happy with the results, then good luck to them. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.