Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I Saw A Terrible Thing Today

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
janeez
janeez e2 Member 61182 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2009 - 8:09 PM

I had just got home with my daughter, full of christmas cheer as we had just bought the tree and were planning where it was going to go. I decided to take the dog for a walk in our local country park which is just a few yards from our home. The intention was to gather some holly, ivy and teasels to make decorations. Anyway, as I arrived a paramedic was just leaving and as I walked up the hill two police men were there and another paramedic. Laying on the ground was a young man, clearly deceased. I stopped to ask what had happened and one of them told me he had OD'd on drugs, he emphasised it had not been intentional. He was not one of the homeless from the night shelter, nor was he a 'customer' of the police. Just someone who had got involved with drugs.

I was very shaken by the experience. On the way home I saw the young police officer again sitting in his car. He opened the car door to talk to me and I said how sad it was that this young man had wasted his life on drugs. Tragically, it was now the responsibility of this officer to go and break the news to this mans mother.

The police are critisised constantly in the press but I have nothing but admiration for what they have to do. This officer did not condemn or disparage the victim. He was resectful of the situation and the grave task ahead of him.

Drugs are such a blight on our society. Those who supply them have taken yet another life. A police officer has the terrible task of informing this young mans family and they have to face Christmas and the future with that loss.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Dec 2009 - 8:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2009 - 8:23 PM

I feel sorry for the family, but unfortunately I can't say the same for the victim. It is the choice of life after all.

bangalicious
10 Dec 2009 - 8:40 PM

I agree with Cole 100%.

Sorry you had to witness it though Jane. Hope you are not too shoock up.

Anil.

User_Removed
10 Dec 2009 - 8:57 PM

Quote: I feel sorry for the family, but unfortunately I can't say the same for the victim. It is the choice of life after all.

I have some sympathy for the victim and the fact you call him a victim suggests you do too! But drug users are not always in a good state of mind when they start taking them. There are those who take them for pleasure but there are some who take them to escape mental illness. Itís hard to say you donít feel sympathy or sorry for someone unless you know the full story.

It is a choice but at times in life the choices seem few and escape seems the best option.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2009 - 9:04 PM

Quote: but at times in life the choices seem few and escape seems the best option.

Choices/Options nonetheless.
Sorry, that's my stand regarding drag users.

User_Removed
10 Dec 2009 - 9:10 PM

Quote: Choices/Options nonetheless.

You are obviously of sound mind. Which you should be grateful for.

bigalguitarpicker

Coleslaw, it looks like you've never met one of life's losers. Things quite often aren't as clear-cut as we might like them to be. Some unfortunates are born into terrible circumstances and have no chance of escape.

jimthistle73
10 Dec 2009 - 10:00 PM

Quote: Quote:but at times in life the choices seem few and escape seems the best option.Choices/Options nonetheless.

Wear a dress / don't wear a dress - it's a tough choice....

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61182 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2009 - 10:08 PM

I do feel desparately sad that this life had ended so abruptly. We all have choices but sometimes circumstances overtake us and some fall throught the net straight into an underclass who are all to ready to drag us into the mire. Yesterday I would have said he was a waster and not given him the time of day. Seeing him lying there, on the cold, wet ground today made me realise his life was valid and no one deserves to go like that. If the policeman had said he was a criminal, a drug dealer and parasite in society then I would probably have not been so sorry. But he wasn't. It could be anyones son or daughter found in those circumstances and that is what makes me sad.

Last Modified By janeez at 10 Dec 2009 - 10:09 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014682 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2009 - 10:11 PM

It wasn't that many years ago that the state of Maine in the US came within 3 votes in the legislature of approving the death penalty for any sellers or dealers of illegal drugs. Shows how some folks feel about it.

jimthistle73
10 Dec 2009 - 10:13 PM

janeez, I hear what you're saying, but today's unfortunate addict is tomorrow's casual dealer and next week's peddler of poison.

How far up the chain do we need to go before we point the finger and say, "Scum"?! They're all someone's kid...

uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2009 - 10:19 PM

Lets all jump to conclusions...

Perhaps he OD on prescribed drugs? How many people you think you know out there are on drugs? How many peoples lifes you know are held together by antidpresants?

Who knows how what and where happened. Perhaps the guy lost somone close to him and took the wrong path, there all sorts of reasons people walk on the wrong side of the rails.

Someone somewhere the nights crying there eyes out for that person today...

Coleslaw
10 Dec 2009 - 10:19 PM

Just notice my typo.
I hear what you are saying, Alexander. But as I said, their choice. Unless someone forces the needle into their flesh, or stick it up their nose with force, or stick a gun at their head, it is still up to them to decide.
It is not like having cancer. You can live as healthy as possible but still die of cancer. Now, that is not your choice!

jimthistle73
10 Dec 2009 - 10:22 PM

Just to clarify, all I'm saying is that it's hard to distinguish the victims from the perpetrators when it comes to hard drugs - aren't they all victims to a degree?

rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2009 - 10:28 PM

Sorry you and the policemen went through that today, and the victim, I'm sure none of you thought the day would end up this way. You're right, I think it is a thankless job breaking news like that, especially if it's going ot be unexpected to the family, which it sounds like this might have been.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.