Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

I scratched my Nikon

zebraboy 10 197 Australia
13 Aug 2012 11:35PM
I took the lens off my Nikon d3000 and decided to clean the mirror and that glass plate bit that sits in the upperside of the camera body. I managed to scratch the glass/plastic plate with my finger nail and now when you look through the viewfinder you see a horrorshow of inscribed lines and disorder. I think I will need a replacement part and the camera cleaned, can anyone recommened anyone who will do this at a reasonable cost. Grin Manfred

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

uzi9mm 3 79 United Kingdom
14 Aug 2012 8:16AM
my mate did the same thng with is sony a290 its not ment to be touched. only by blower brush have a look on ebay at camera parts you might be lucky to track one down then check youtube on replaceing screens...it all can be found if look.
sausage 10 287 United Kingdom
14 Aug 2012 8:26AM
You could send it to Nikon - they will give you an estimate. Whatever you do it may be expensive. Doing it yourself may be too technical - it all has to be lined up spot on!
Carrera_c 5 271 3 United Kingdom
14 Aug 2012 8:41AM
If you're in (or willing to send it to) Scotland then check out these guys, have used them for some stuff before and can recommend: http://www.ajjohnstone.co.uk/
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
14 Aug 2012 10:19AM

Quote: I think I will need a replacement part and the camera cleane

It sounds to me like you have scratched the focusing screen. That will be the 'glass and plastic thingy'. I don't know the d3000 but it would appear to have an interchangeable screen. They are on Amazon at 11. They are normally straightforward enough for the owner to install, a ten minute job at most.

From what you have said so far, though, maybe better to get someone to install it for you Wink
zebraboy 10 197 Australia
14 Aug 2012 10:28AM
Thanks all for some constructive responses. I know what to do now, cheers.
I love this site. Grin
thewilliam 6 4.8k
14 Aug 2012 10:43AM
In the future, never touch the mirror which is front-silvered and very delicate or the underside of the focussing screen in any SLR.
ray835 6 149 Wales
18 Aug 2012 5:07PM
i did the same thing on my d200 with a rocket blower scratched the focusing screen cost less than a fiver from nikon. that was 3 years ago and never got round to fitting it. still in the jiffy bag it came in .....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.