Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I think being shy is holding me back....

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

scruffytrafford

This may sound a very small issue to some of you out there, but I was wondering if any of you had any tips on dealing with being shy when taking photographs, I love photography but I feel shy about taking my pictures, I find I rush the shot just to get something and move on, I am currently doing a course, which involves having to take some night shots of cars on slow shutter speeds in order to capture the light trails, but I keep putting it off, because not only will I have to take a picture in public at night but even worse I will need my tripod, (in the absence of a wall to put the camera on so less conspicuous). I know I have to over come this, and I could take someone with me, but my partner says I have to over come this shyness/fear???.
On the plus side I live in a tourist area so in the summer I am an undercover tourist with a camera and am an English girl abroad so fit in quite well, which makes it easier I just need to have a cover for my fear in the winter in the rain and snow, when there are no tourists around. Any tips gratefully received.

Nikki

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Mar 2013 - 5:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 5:42 PM

It's not a small issue, Nikki. Do you have a monopod? You will often find that will suffice and it is less intrusive to other people.

scruffytrafford

No mono pod Carabosse just the tripod, but I can see what you mean, just looking for a confidence boost really i suppose so,

JJGEE
JJGEE  96207 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 5:51 PM

Quote: which involves having to take some night shots

Quote: but I keep putting it off, because not only will I have to take a picture in public at night

Quote: I know I have to over come this, and I could take someone with me

good idea.

I would not say your concerns are shyness, more like being responsible and understanding of the potential dangers of a female being out alone at night with expensive camera gear.

lawbert
lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 5:56 PM

I can understand the shyness but once you nail the pics you envisage this will inspire confidence.
have you got a country road that passes over a motorway nearby?
That would be a good place to start on the light trails and you would have some privacy to set up the tripod and concentrate purely on the shot.

Last Modified By lawbert at 12 Mar 2013 - 6:00 PM
JJGEE
JJGEE  96207 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 5:58 PM

Quote: have you got a motorway bridge over a country road nearby

I think you meant a country road bridge over a motorway Wink

lawbert
lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 6:00 PM

Quote: have you got a motorway bridge over a country road nearby
I think you meant a country road bridge over a motorway Wink

Just edited it as you posted it!!Smile

scruffytrafford

I live in a small town by the sea in southern Ireland, so I don't have any safety issues, I can walk around by myself at 3 am and no hassle in this place although I am not complacent, I lived in Bristol before so this is the back of beyond compared to that, it is just that I am horrified to think someone is watching me, and I stand out, I was just wondering if other people had encountered these feelings and if so how they overcome it, or deal with it, the good shots creating confidence is a good train of thought though.

robthecamman
12 Mar 2013 - 6:48 PM

just do it

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72123 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 6:48 PM

Do some habit forming sessions Nikki.
Make a point of going into a public place to do some photography,
just for a short while to start with, but then extend the time you're out with each session you do.
In my experience, the general public give a wide birth to someone with a dslr, more so with a tripod, as they will assume you're a pro!

pablophotographer

Can you shoot cars passing from your bedroom window at night? Can you see boats at night gliding on the sea?

if you live upstaits and there is parking space below, tell your friend or a family member with a car to assist you as you record them turning on the lights on and reverse to come out of the parking.

Stay in your parking lot and shoot an indicator light...

Set the camera on the tripod in your porch and tell a friend to press the brakes at night, when the car lights are on. Zoom in and out of the lights.

Stay indorrs in a dark room, set the camera to shoot at a direction and draw with a flashlight or a laser pointer something on that direction where the lens points.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 7:11 PM

I can understand your issue.
I am a shy person myself (ok, some might not agree...lol). I have issue approaching and asking people if I can take their pictures in the public. But I know if I don't force myself to do that, then I would come home without anything and that's is unbearable. So, the only way to do it is to force myself to approach them and ask. What's the worst that could happen.
If taking someone else with you makes you feel better, then do that. Ask your partner, or go out with other photographers.

Graysta
Graysta  91131 forum posts England
12 Mar 2013 - 7:59 PM

A suggestion might be to find some like minded photographer's local to you through this site and arrange a meet.
You may then find the public will just accept that you are a group of tog's off for a session and expect you to be taking pictures of whatever, Once one member ask's to take a picture you will find it easy to ask if you can take one. Also if you are setting a tripod up for a shot it is more comfortable if you are with another person.
Do not feel shy about taking picture's and do NOT rush them, take whatever is in your head when you set out and make it work, you do not have to feel shy about taking picture's, show what you have taken to other people and put them on this site,once folk's look at your work and like it you will gain confidence in what you are doing.

Last Modified By Graysta at 12 Mar 2013 - 7:59 PM
ErictheViking
ErictheViking e2 Member 1124 forum postsErictheViking vcard Scotland102 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 8:19 PM

Like many members writing here I am quite a shy person but I found my real issue was my confidence and feeling of embarrassment at taking my photography.

To over come this you need someone to go with you to reassure you and boost your confidence that you can do this. Once you confidence grows so will your ability to go on your own.

Is the photo course run through college? If so ask another student to buddy up with you. If its a home learning course tell your partner to stop giving you grief and to realise these things don't vanish on their own they need to be worked on and a companion does help.

for the record I've got dyslexia with huge confidence issues and chronic depression so I have an idea what I'm talking about.

Erik

janeez
janeez e2 Member 51161 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 9:34 PM

Get yourself a fluorescent yellow safety vest with photographer on the back and people will automatically stop to let you take the picture. They'll probably be interested in what you are doing as well. It's just a crutch to give you some confidence but I can guarantee it will work. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.