Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I think being shy is holding me back....

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Blackcrag
Blackcrag  136 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Mar 2013 - 9:37 PM

Hi,

My suggestion is having the `shoot` planned.
Go to the site in the day - know were and what you are going to shoot.

Go home and make a list of your shoot - down to the smallest thing and list it in order.
When you go out to the shoot follow this list and concentrate on the list rather than who might be watching you.

Gary

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Mar 2013 - 9:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scruffytrafford
12 Mar 2013 - 11:17 PM

Thanks everyone,

I guess I just have to push myself to do it, perhaps not outside a pub on a Friday or Saturday night but I have a spot planned in my head so am moving forward right now, I am thinking tomorrow night if the weather is right, might be a good time to dip the toe in the water.

Thanks all again
Nikki

Nigeyboy
Nigeyboy  5534 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Mar 2013 - 8:14 AM

Hi Nikki,

I am very much in the same boat as you at the moment, so can sympathise with your situation. Without going into too much detail, I have been suffering from severe depression and my photography has taken a dive these last 18 months or so. Part of my counselling is to get out and 'just shoot'! Easier said than done mind you - however I have booked a few hours off work in the next week to go somewhere to take some pictures in a public place - this will in turn build back my confidence.

Good luck with your shoot - hope the weather is kind to you this evening! Let us know how it goes!

Nige

scruffytrafford
13 Mar 2013 - 12:54 PM

Thanks Nige,

It is good to know your not alone, as such, and good luck with next week and your shoot.Yes confidence is a very strange emotion, some days I feel like I could take on the world in my head but another day I just want to hide from the world.

It's strange life..

Good luck,
Nikki

Nigeyboy
Nigeyboy  5534 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Mar 2013 - 1:28 PM

You too Nikki! Dont forget to let us know how you get on.

onetrickpony
13 Mar 2013 - 6:48 PM

I used to have this problem. Actually in many situations I still do :-( .

Try going for walks at night, taking your camera along 'just in case'. Even if you don't take any pictures, you can still go for a walk, or just photo empty streets.

Something I did for a while was to 'tail' photographers with DSLRs who were taking photos everywhere and anywhere. It helped to realize how little people react to having their photo taken (they don't react at all, they just keep walking).

If al else fails - how about a little liquid confidence? Smile

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2013 - 12:55 PM

Hi Nikki,

If dealing with people is the issue, maybe try getting a retail customer facing part time job - just to build up rapport with people. Or go out selling raffle tickets or conducting surveys - all of these things can get you used to dealing with strangers.

I think many share the dilemma of feeling uncomfortable about street photography and the perceived discussions that may ensue. Start small and build up. Or force yourself to spend 10 mins in each location with the camera out and ready whether you shoot or not - this will stop you feeling like you are rushing on from each shot.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.