Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I think I need a new bag, but which one?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 7240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    1 Jan 2013 - 9:17 PM

Now that I am getting out with my camera more, I am starting to notice that my current bag (Lowepro fastback 350) is big and cumbersome to weild. So I have started to search for a new bag.

My requirements are:

Needs to be a shoulder/sling bag as I now carry my camera on a Black rapid strap. and would like to be able to access gear without taking the bag off.
    Carry a gripped 60D
    Needs to hold the following lenses, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 & Sigma 150-500
    Possibly a flashgun
    Ability to attach tripod or monopod
    Budget is under 100.

I know I'm asking a lot but what do you helpful folk suggest.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Jan 2013 - 9:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

min
    min  3519 forum posts England
    1 Jan 2013 - 10:07 PM

try this

i found this bag really comfortable and has lots of room Grin

maggie

bainsybike
    2 Jan 2013 - 11:44 AM

If you're going to carry all the gear together, I think you'll find it tiring to have all the weight on one shoulder. I'd suggest a rucksack type bag with side access, which your current bag is supposed to have - does the Black Rapid strap prevent you from using this feature? If you can find a way to make it work, maybe a smaller bag of similar style would be suitable.

chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 7240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    2 Jan 2013 - 11:53 AM

My current bag does have that feature. The main issue with the Black rapid is that for the camera to slide properly, the BR has to go over the shoulder strap, which means that to swing my rucksack round I have to remove the right shoulder strap. With a sling bag I could just rotate it round, I have looked at smaller bags, however my worry is that the lenses are quite long and wouldn't fit in. I always find that whichever lens I leave at home, that is the one I want Sad At the moment I'm leaning towards the 302aw

mikehit
    mikehit  46180 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jan 2013 - 12:21 PM

My question would be: when all your gear is in you Fastpack 350, how much space do you have left? If the answer is 'not a lot' then you are not going to find any bag that gets over the "big and cumbersome to weild" issue.

You want to attach a tripod/monopod to a shoulder bag? Hmm. There are some where the monopod will strap underneath but the tend to be expensive and bulky. Which means that the slingbags are your better bet but even then I have found that the tripod mountings are not very solid so it does not 'feel right' when I move around and I am in real danger of hitting people or objects with it.

Quote: I always find that whichever lens I leave at home, that is the one I want

I used to have the same desire to carry everything for every circumstance but soon realised one of the lenses was not used very much and the bulk was not worth it. For example, if I was off out with my 100-400 (or in your case 150-500) I was doing so for reasons (wildlife, for example) that would make my need for 17-70 unlikely. So when I have my 100-400, I take my S90 compact for wide angle shots plus 100mm macro and everything fits in a larger kata holster which leaves room to have my tripod comfortably on a shoulder strap.
    Conversely, if I intend to use the 17-55 seriously, then will I really need the 150-500 for anything more than an occasional shot and in most cases a cropped image from the 70-200 will likely do the job.

An alternative (at the risk of looking like Rambo's pacifist cousin) is LowePro's combination of 'Street&Field' combination of harness/belt/pouches with a monopod on a shoulder strap. The camera actually hooks onto two D-rings on the shoulder straps so this will replace your BR strap, taking the weight of the camera/lens on both shoulders and not just one.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.