Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I've bought a Portaflash Kit to use with my 300D, and my shot's have got worse???

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

dmd photography
22 Feb 2006 - 2:06 AM

I've bought a Portaflash Kit to use with my 300D, and my shot's have got worse, what am I Doing wrong? I've set up the lights as best i know, and my flash, the light and the slave flash are creating darker, less professional images... HELP.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Feb 2006 - 2:06 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

park my ferret
22 Feb 2006 - 2:09 AM

put your camera onto M (manual) mode, set the apperture to about f7.1 and the shutter speed to 160, and your iso speed to 200. now try it, and make sure the flashes are triggering.

If it's still too dark try taking the apperture down to f 5.6 or less, or turn up the iso to 400. if it's too light turn up the apperture to f 11 or highr if it's still too light., if none of this works then book yourself on our course quicksmart! Wink

keithh
keithh  1022726 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2006 - 2:11 AM

I think the operative words here are...'my flash'...in other words you bought a couple of blocs and now you're using the camera flash to fire them, when more than likely they are firing with the pre-flash. Use the sync lead that very likely came with the kit or buy an infrared trigger for about 30 quid.

park my ferret
22 Feb 2006 - 2:14 AM

yup, keiths right, but there should be a sync lead with the portaflash units that you bought, so have a look ... but you may neet to buy a hotshoe adapter trigger from jessops for about a tenner, cos the 300D doesnot have a dedicated sync socket on the camera like the 10 or 20D does.

MoWiz
MoWiz  9114 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Feb 2006 - 2:15 AM

as keith mentioned you need a trigger, I'm not sure if portaflash work with IR, may need a radio trigger. get a flash meter too makes life a lot easier.

dmd photography
22 Feb 2006 - 2:25 AM

Thanks very much guys, will get onto jessops for the hotshoe adaptor.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111897 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Feb 2006 - 3:37 AM

Before you use the sync lead that came with the flash kit check the trigger voltage of the Porta Flash usits are not too high (> 6V) or your 300D will be fried.

jazzygf
jazzygf  10537 forum posts Scotland
22 Feb 2006 - 4:54 AM

redsnapper is right you need to buy a radio or ir trigger your camera and the portaflash use diffrent volts. I use a canon 10d and i got a trigger from www.studioflash.co.uk

wolf666
wolf666  8497 forum posts England
22 Feb 2006 - 5:03 AM

If you buy the right hotshoe adaptor then it should have a voltage limiter on it to protect the camera.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2006 - 5:06 AM

Buy the Wein SafeSync from www.speedgraphic.co.uk approx 40

It has also a pc socket.

stuwhitt
stuwhitt  91357 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Feb 2006 - 5:10 AM

The Wein Safe-Sync is the way to go, it will regulate trigger voltages to a safe 6V, if you don't use this or a similar product then you risk frying (literaly) your 300D

HTH

Stu

chrish4
chrish4  889 forum posts
22 Feb 2006 - 7:09 AM

Hi, this is the same kit as I have, I was advised by Jessops that the 336vm has 9v trigger voltage - to overcome this I bought the little infrared wireless kit from studioflash.co.uk and have found it to be excellent - the wein safe synch is also a good option but depends how you feel about still being wired up? The little unit I bought was about 50 and there isno need for hotshoe adaptor as trigger unit fits directly onto hotshoe.

Re the dark light on your images, the max shutter speed for 336vm to correspond to is 1/200th so anything quicker than this will get dark line across bottom. For my shots I tend to shoot in manual at
ISO 100 shutter speed 1/200 and f5.6 or F8 - for general shots.

anyway hope this helps

Best of luck

christine

Anthony
Anthony  125645 forum posts Scotland17 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2006 - 7:29 AM

which Kit are you using, I am thinking of getting one, and as well as bookmarking the thread, I am keen to find out which one you have, and will follow the same advice.

Hope you dont mind me asking.

Anthony

keithh
keithh  1022726 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2006 - 7:37 AM

Anybody thinking of purchasing an 'affordable' lighting set up, should wait until Focus and visit the Flash Centre stand for the new Elinchrome units.

389 for a lot of kit.

BradUK
BradUK  9553 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2006 - 8:42 AM

Any advice for anyone thinking of purchasing a less affordable Elinchrome kit?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.