Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I've changed my website Layout, comments please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2013 - 3:37 PM

I've had my website running with a white background since I set it up and I've recently had some feedback suggesting I change it to a black background which, it was suggested, would improve the presentation of my images.

I've given it a go but can't really judge if its worked or not (too close to it) so would appreciate any feedback on how it looks to you now (just click on my Header logo and it takes you there)

Thanks

Brian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Jan 2013 - 3:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett
ikett  3339 forum posts England
23 Jan 2013 - 4:00 PM

Hi Brian, thought I'd take a look, your header logo goes to.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93489 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
23 Jan 2013 - 4:30 PM

...not for me it doesn't...."ikett's" link goes to a white BG but header goes to a blck BG.
In any event it's a question of taste, I prefer the black many on epz prefer the white...gonna' need to do 1 of each Smile
....Mike

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2013 - 4:35 PM

Thanks Ian and Mike.

I wonder how you got the White version Ian, as with Mike, mine goes direct to black (could be the answer to Mike's point and I now have random access to both versions Grin )

AlanPerkins
23 Jan 2013 - 5:11 PM

Black for me every time - much easier on my rapidly aging eyes! Wink

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022902 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2013 - 5:37 PM

Now weirdly I'm moving to a lighter bg as black now seems a bit old hat.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2013 - 5:50 PM

I think people are getting confused with which link goes where. Brian's portfolio on ePHOTOzine is white (and linked to from ikett)
The foliopic web site (linked to from the header in the portfolio page) is black.
There is no white web site...unless someone has viewed it before and has a cached version

I prefer black but struggle to read it for long before an impression appears in my eye and cause discomfort when I look away. I like it for viewing photos where most of the area is taken up by the photo or thumbnails, but not for reading text pieces where the issues start (but I do have sensitive eyes)

Black or white can seem stylish it just depends on what elements you add.

I changed to a lighter shade for my foliopic site as a prefer the cleaner look. It's not white either - I chose the template with a very light mottled grey which lets me read without discomfort and I feel it's quite stylish. pete.foliopic.com

brian1208
23 Jan 2013 - 7:06 PM

Thanks for taking the time to look and leave comments everyone, even if the answer could be "Yes but, No but" Grin

Pete, the readability of white on black was something I worried about, particularly for my Blogs so its a useful comment there

brian1208
23 Jan 2013 - 8:51 PM

Picking up on some of your suggestions I've made another change, this time to a light grey background which I think may solve Pete's problem (and other viewers) reading the text rich parts such as my blog but also is a better background against which to view the pics than the stark white

What think you?

Keith-Mckevitt
28 Jan 2013 - 11:03 PM

As previously mentioned...one link shows white BG the other the updated one. The link from your header shows the best in my opinion and I absolutely love your home page image. Smile
Keith

brian1208
28 Jan 2013 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for taking the time to look Keith and comment, odd that some are still seeing the original white background layout, I can't call it up at all

The Home page image is a famous stretch of the Avon Royalty fishery, the Parlour Pool, which is five minute walk away on our route into Christchurch Smile

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jan 2013 - 11:25 PM

Yes that's a better background colour
Are you happy with the spacing of the links page? If you go into your editor where the CSS is and add this at the end of the Advanced CSS editor page

.link {
padding-bottom:20px;
}

You will see the spacing better between each link
Try

.link {
padding-bottom:10px;
}

if you think its too open.

brian1208
29 Jan 2013 - 9:03 AM

Thanks Pete, I'm doing this in between getting ready for a big exhibition which starts in a month so it may be a while before I get round to it but that is very helpful as I had noticed some of the spacing had gone awry.

Not played with CSS before (don't even know what it means Tongue) so time to learn something new

brian1208
29 Jan 2013 - 2:14 PM

Hmm? I had a quick look at this between jobs and I can't make head nor tail of it. What's the Asset Manager I need to access to change CSS and where do I find it (foliopic help was no use to me)

Like I say, I don't even know what it means and guess my poor old brain may just be too loaded with other stuff to get a grip of this

(Least I sound negative - I've had a good morning and now got all my Photographers notes for the exhibition in final print form and bound ready for use - so it was all going OK until I diverted my attention off the job in hand Wink )

Last Modified By brian1208 at 29 Jan 2013 - 2:17 PM
AlexandraSD
29 Jan 2013 - 2:31 PM

On the foliopic homepage, click the Site Template from the Layout sub menu, you will now see your site templates, you need to edit the one your using, which will be the top template, now click on Edit.

Your now on the upload template page, dont be confused, your on the right page now, just click the Assets link where you see Edit: HTML | Assets | Info, you will then see a link to edit the CSS, dont click that directly, click the pencil icon next to it. Choose either the simple editor or the advanced editor, i would advice using the simple editor if your not au fait with CSS attributes and values.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.