Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I've finally given myself a web presence!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2012 - 5:27 PM

Great stuff Lemmy and I thank both for your valued opinions and the effort you've put in giving all the constructive criticisms, all of which have been taken fair and square on the chin! Wink Seriously though, what a great response to my original post.

It was kinda rushed in the end as I wanted to get all up and running for the weekend, but I've copied all your comments and pasted them into a Word document so I can refer back to the issues as and when I have the time and address each one individually. I've been really busy today and will be again tomorrow, but hopefully I will sort out everything you mention in the week when I have more time and if I'm honest, the right head on for it. Wix's own Flash based software for designing the site is a little clunky and tricky to use when you want to get more in depth with it. Don't get me wrong I'm not making excuses, but it isn't without it's foibles and has a habit of doing things you didn't quite expect, but I will sort it out you have my word. I'm feeling compelled to now especially after all the effort you've put in telling me where I've gone wrong!

This was just the kind of reply I was hoping for and I can't thank you enough, I'll post a reply back here as and when I've sorted it all, hopefully before then end of the week so if you have the time you can scrutinise it all once again.....

Best regards......Ade

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 22 Sep 2012 - 5:29 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Sep 2012 - 5:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy
lemmy  71941 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Sep 2012 - 5:45 PM

Quote: This was just the kind of reply I was hoping for and I can't thank you enough,

I'm glad it was useful Grin

Putting togther web sites I find totally absorbing but it is easy to forget that any web site can only be as good as its content.

With the material on your site the content is taken care of so it's just a matter of presenting it in the most logical way. Take a look at writing HTML pages some time with style sheets. It's far easier than you might think (not to say it is easy) to write a page just using just notepad. Photographers tend to be good at it because, like photography it is a mixture of art and technical.

There are some great teaching pages at the WW3 School. Basically, HTML looks complicated but is just a straightforward list of instructions.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2012 - 6:03 PM

I did a bit HMTL when I was re-training at college some 7-9 years ago and I have to be honest I have no interest in it whatsoever, hence the reason it's taken me this long to get a site organised. I've only done it now really because I've had a few media researchers banging at more door wanting to see my work and what makes me tick, up to now I've just pointed folk to my p/f on EPZ.

It needed to be done, but it was low down on my long list on priorities, still at least I have something for folk to look at now. Now that I've actually done it though I must admit I do feel compelled to keep it up to date and to add more to it, so I will look into it in a little more depth.

Thanks again.....Ade

lemmy
22 Sep 2012 - 6:08 PM

Quote: I have to be honest I have no interest in it whatsoever,

Yes, best to stick with the site maker software then. I always find the sites they produce are immensely clumsily coded but I am a purist like that!

Since no-one viewing sees the code, it doesn't matter, of course.

Ade_Osman
23 Sep 2012 - 10:54 AM

Well I've taken all of Lemmy's advice and tried to iron out some of the issues he quite validly made concerning my recently created website Sue'n'Ade's Wildlife Photography I've PM'ed Lemmy direct and asked if he would cast his critical eye over it once again, but would also like anybody else who fancy's a look to do the same thing. Any constructive criticisms good or bad would be warmy received, so if you find yourself with nothing to do for 10 minutes have a look and do your worst Wink

Cheers Guy/Gals........Ade

philhomer
philhomer  437 forum posts England32 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2012 - 4:20 PM

Ade, my own experience with such is limited but i find it easier to improve something once in situ then to try and get it right from the beginning - lemmy above clearly knows his stuff but overall i would say a good start

only thing is i cannot get the images to link to anything - i presume a larger image is the aim?

phil

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64538 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2012 - 4:40 PM

Hi Ade. Great to see all your excellent images presented together on your website.
Just a couple of thoughts.

Being an orderly sort of person, I thought the headings and front page images should match in order. i.e. Birds, Butterflies, Moths, Insects. Then Hedgehogs, renamed "Hedgehog-cam" to indicate it's a videostream. Then lastly Other Images. Then put the front page pictures in the same order.

I wondered why we couldn't just click on the front page large image to get to the gallery rather than having to click the wording.

On your "About" page you say you sadly lost out two dogs, instead of our. Sad
Perhaps a few more bits of wording etc. need tidying up but I'm sure you're more than capable of doing that.
I wondered if perhaps you could make the font bigger as there's a lot of writing.

Hope that's OK.
Well done - great stuff.
Smile

lemmy
23 Sep 2012 - 5:13 PM

Quote: but overall i would say a good start

I agree. You've certainly put in some fast work, ade.

Problems first. Links on the home page aren't working (noted above). Neither are links on the 'birds' page. (They are on all the other pages, though.) And I agree with Slowsong that the font on the about page could be a little bigger. I see that it is currently 12px, 14px would be perfect, I'd think. Tiny things, easily fixed. I think you've done a great job.

Might be nice to add an occasional blog, how the latest pics were taken, funny stories about the animals, expert tips for budding wild life photographers? Definitely optional, that, of course but I'm sure plenty of people would find it interesting.

The site itself now: it looks very pleasing to my eyes. Clean and clear, nothing extraneous or jarring, easy to use and navigate.

The images, no one could disagree, are superb. Once the links are working I don't see how you could improve it.

Ade_Osman
23 Sep 2012 - 7:11 PM

Righty ho guys thanks for all that, I will play around and try and sort it out Smile

Thanks again for all the feedback......

Ade

Ade_Osman
23 Sep 2012 - 8:28 PM

Right all sorted more or less Grin

Quote: Being an orderly sort of person, I thought the headings and front page images should match in order. i.e. Birds, Butterflies, Moths, Insects. Then Hedgehogs, renamed "Hedgehog-cam" to indicate it's a videostream. Then lastly Other Images. Then put the front page pictures in the same order.

Makes sense........Done.

Quote: I wondered why we couldn't just click on the front page large image to get to the gallery rather than having to click the wording.

.......Unfortunately and it's been annoying the hell out of me, I can't get this to work because of WIX's quirky Flash based software. I've been all through the help files and think the only way I might be able to do is get under the hood and into the HTML coding, something which if I were to do would probably result in problems elsewhere, so discretion being the better part of valour and because I'm a wussie, I'm going to leave it as is.....For time being Wink

Quote: On your "About" page you say you sadly lost out two dogs, instead of our.

.......Done.

Quote: I wondered if perhaps you could make the font bigger as there's a lot of writing.

Another fair comment......Done and I've also fixed all the link problems hopefully.

Quote: Might be nice to add an occasional blog, how the latest pics were taken, funny stories about the animals, expert tips for budding wild life photographers? Definitely optional, that, of course but I'm sure plenty of people would find it interesting.

All to come in the future! Well I need to find something to busy myself now the long dark night are drawing in. So 'Watch this space' or should I say 'that space' Grin

Once again thanks for all the advice and constructive criticisms folks. What amazes me is you proof read these things before publishing and yet you always miss things that other people find easily and that when commented on are blazingly obvious! Sad If anyone else would like to comment or add criticisms, please feel free to do so.....I'm thick skinned Smile Or should that really read I'm thick!Smile

AdeGrin

Paul1972
Paul1972  746 forum posts
3 Oct 2012 - 9:13 AM

Excellent well done Ade you need not be so hard on your self you have a done a great job in putting your site together and I have enjoyed looking at your photos a nice way to start the day.
PaulSmile

Ade_Osman
3 Oct 2012 - 12:18 PM

Cheers Paul, much appreciated.....

Ade

Ade_Osman
22 Dec 2012 - 9:00 AM

Just a quick heads up for those interested......Whilst I'm been ill, I've still been very busy with the wildlife that were lucky enough to have visit the garden.

I've now added a lot of video content to my site, this includes both a Live View of the garden webcam, usually the bird tables during the day, plus edited highlights from the previous nights footage. There is also a page that contains highlights of footage taken over the last few months, this includes the Foxes, Hedgehogs, Wood Mice and other mammals that we've been lucky enough have visit. It's still all looking a bit rough around the edges at the moment, but I'll be improving this over the next few weeks as well as adding even more content.

I'm still a little out of sorts health wise, but am slowly getting better, fortunately I've had the wildlife in the garden to keep me grounded, they need looking after no matter how bad I might be. We currently have two juvenile hedgehogs in shed that were found in the garden way underweight and because of this they would never have survived the winter without out intervention. They'll be staying with us until the spring when they'll be soft released back into the the wild, as yet I've not exploited them by taking their photographs, but once they are fully out of hibernation I've no doubt I'll be firing off a frame or two before they're released. We've also had an injured fox visit the garden on a regular basis and we did consider catching him so he could receive veterinary treatment, however after much discussion with Secret World in Somerset if was felt it would be of more benefit and cause a lot less stress to the fox in we added painkilling and other drugs directly to the food we put out for him.....He still shows a slight limp, but I'm glad to say he's slowly get much better as time progresses.

Thanks to everyone who have passed on their messages of goodwill while I've been out of sorts, hopefully once Christmas is over I should be back partaking in the site as normal....

Best wishes to all and here's hoping everyone has a great time over the festive period and prosperous New Year......

Ade

Sue & Ade's Wildlife Photography

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.