Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I want another film camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Inspired_images

Ok folks I'm after a recommendation. I'm after another film camera. I want either a rangefinder or a folder that takes 120 film to shoot some street scenes. It needs to be usable, simple, relatively easy to fix (if needed) and inexpensive. What do you recommend? To give you a bit more context I also shoot with a Nikon F4 and a Bronny SQ but i'm looking for something much older and more basic but still usable.

Cheers folks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Oct 2012 - 7:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
franken e2 Member 113103 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 7:20 PM

Something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AGFA-RECORD-III-3-INC-105MM-F4-5-SOLINAR-CASE-/1709201...

Ken

Inspired_images

Yes that looks interesting i guess i don't know how long a 105mm lens is? In this camera, what would its equivalence be in 35mm terms?

Chris

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 7:27 PM

lubitel 2, cost peanuts and very capable, and its pretty compact as twin reflexes go.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Lubitel_2

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 11 Oct 2012 - 7:28 PM
Inspired_images

Thanks Paul but thats too bulky i don't want a twin

Chris

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 7:55 PM

Believe it or not it is smaller than the DSLR I`ve just given up Smile

Newdevonian
11 Oct 2012 - 8:04 PM

Quote: Yes that looks interesting i guess i don't know how long a 105mm lens is? In this camera, what would its equivalence be in 35mm terms?

Chris

I believe that is a standard (50mm / 35mm format equivalent) for 2.25 x 3.25 inch format

http://arukucamera.net/folders.html

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 11 Oct 2012 - 8:08 PM
Inspired_images

Cheers thats really helpful thanks

Chris

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41197 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 10:06 PM

It is standard length. 645 standard is 75mm, for 6x6 (2 1/4 sq) its 80mm. For 6x7 it's 90mm and for 6x9 it's 105mm.

I also use a 6x9 folder, an Ensign Ranger, but used to use a Zeiss Nettar 6x6, both of which had good ranges of shutter speed and apertures (depends on the lens you get on it, as various lenses were offered at different times.

I also had an Olympus mju 1 with no flash that worked brilliantly as a point and shoot.

For the ultimate experience, try a Leica! You can get into the system for a couple of hundred quid.

Nick

Inspired_images
11 Oct 2012 - 10:26 PM

Cheers Nick really helpful stuff. think the leica might be the end point!

Thanks again

Chris

Paul Morgan
12 Oct 2012 - 6:20 PM

Quote: Thanks Paul but thats too bulky i don't want a twin

Not a great pick but it gives you some idea of the size Smile

p1010012.jpg

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41197 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 11:48 PM

If you want to try rangefinders, you can pick up Voigtlander Bessas pretty cheaply, and if you get one of the screw ones, Russian Jupiter lenses are cheap but pretty good, or there's voigtlanders or even leicas. You can even get adapters to use other lenses. A wealth of choice!
Better to steer clear of Feds and zorkis as quality control wasn't their strong suit.

But if you find it works for you, you will end up with a Leica.

You can get a doggy leica 111 or 111a with a summar cheaply (for a 'special kind of image') or better still a summitar, or even an Elmar.

Nick

Sooty_1
12 Oct 2012 - 11:54 PM

Forgot to mention you can get the bodies for a couple of hundred and the lenses cheaper (a lot cheaper if you're careful). Or a Minolta/leica CL for another option.

Depends on your budget.

Inspired_images

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions - really helpful. I'm following a number on ebay just to get an idea of prices - seems there is quite some variability!

Thanks again

Chris

Newdevonian
15 Oct 2012 - 8:40 AM

Quote:

You can get a doggy leica 111 or 111a with a summar cheaply (for a 'special kind of image') or better still a summitar, or even an Elmar.

Nick

I think Nick is trying to say that the Summar was as soft as Kerrygold on a hot day! I have no experience of the Summitar but the Elmars are good lenses, but F2.8 max. I had a 39mm screw collapsible 50mm and that was always good for 20"x16" B&W prints.

As for Leica's of that age, they showed their usage on the outside. If you can see brass, avoid!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.