Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I wish ....

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2012 - 8:31 PM

When people go to the trouble of uploading an image to the gallery for votes etc, they would include a description. It seems odd to just dump an image and say nothing. Like where what and so on. Just saying.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Dec 2012 - 8:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

paulcookphotography

Personally i dont see the need for descriptions on many images. I prefer to let the viewer make their own story from it. Really depends on the image i suppose

User_Removed
5 Dec 2012 - 8:47 PM

Mozzy...

You are right - and I agree 100%.

A little information about the image - whatever is relevant - I find essential.

Personally, an image with no information does not get a vote from me.

Wink

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
paulcookphotography

Quote:

Wink

Nice to know image quality/originality/technique comes second Tongue

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2012 - 9:07 PM

Personally I prefer some information. When uploading to the critique forum it's useful to know what the poster was intending and how they got the shot, then it's possible to see if they've achieved their goal and how they may improve technique etc. plus, it's nice to know the 5 Ws, where, when, why, what and (w)how?

Nick

Jestertheclown

Quote:

Nice to know image quality/originality/technique comes second Tongue

Surely, the two are related. Can you base an opinion on "quality/originality/technique," if it comes "with no information?"
Although, for very sound reasons, I no longer use it, I was, for a long time, I was a regular in the critique gallery. It's so much easier to form an opinion/critique on an image if you know how it was taken and perhaps why.

Bren.

paulcookphotography

Quote: Can you base an opinion on "quality/originality/technique," if it comes "with no information?"

Bren.

Well, yes. Go to any gallery and look at the artwork there (whether its a painting, photograph, sculpture or whatever). You will find some you like, and some you dont. There may be little descriptions on some, and its very likely you might only read the ones belonging to the artworks you like, but you initially liked it because of the visual impact and not because of what the artist or museum said about it

Same goes with quality, originality and technique. You will see many works of art by the 'greats' that show obvious talent through the quality of their work. I can appreciate a great piece of work or design or product without knowing how it was done or made. Yes, sometimes its nice to know, but (for me) its the image thats most important

After all, if we want to know more info about an image, location or technique here on ephotozine, we can always leave a comment or contact the artist

Last Modified By paulcookphotography at 5 Dec 2012 - 9:27 PM
Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2012 - 9:36 PM

I personally enjoy reading for example ... "took while on holiday, on the road, walking the dog with camera on shoulder in wife's bag, at night or day, a touch of PS to clean haze, reflection, cloned out two donkeys etc etc. I just feel it means an effort has been made to not only upload an image for a vote or three, but to share 'stuff' for the benefit of those voting. I can fully understand and appreciate the exceptional talent that many photographers have. It is however just nice in my humble opinion to not assume the image alone speaks volumes. Just an opinion.

Jestertheclown

Quote: You will see many works of art by the 'greats' that show obvious talent through the quality of their work.

Peasant that I am, I have yet to see a 'work of art' by any of 'the greats' that has interested, inspired me or made me want to know more about it.

Photographs, on the other hand interest and sometimes intrigue me because I do want to know how it was conceived, composed and constructed.

Perhaps (and I am mechanically inclined) the technical aspects of photography make it interesting, whereas, in my opinion, anyone can use a brush to slap some paint on.

paulcookphotography

Personally i am not too bothered about votes, but thats just my taste. I share my images because i like others to see the work i do outside my professional capacity.

There are, however, many folks here who DO like to get votes and comments for encouragement and to get an idea of how they are progressing, or to judge which images are more appealing to folk, and its a shame that these people could have a great image that is ignored by some simply because they did not add a description, or by others because they may have added a logo or watermark on their work.

That, in my opinion is a shame, and a great image does not get the recognition it deserves because of the personal views and attitudes of others. I can understand that images may not get votes if the viewer perhaps doesnt like the subject matter or a particular style (still life, urban, etc), but that is more a matter of taste and not some pre-determined standpoint

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 5 Dec 2012 - 9:50 PM
Jestertheclown

Probably best not to bring the subject of votes into the equation because the whole thread will suddenly revolve around them and not the subject in hand but for what it's worth, I never, ever vote for any image by anybody and I have votes on my own work switched off.

I don't think that you can get a much more level playing field than that.

User_Removed
5 Dec 2012 - 10:55 PM

You don't vote on an image with no information Mike? Do you not like a movie til after you've read the end credits? Do you not enjoy a meal til you've been shown a list of ingredients and a description of how it was cooked Smile

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73878 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2012 - 10:57 PM

Quote: I personally enjoy reading for example ... "took while on holiday, on the road, walking the dog with camera on shoulder in wife's bag, at night or day, a touch of PS to clean haze, reflection, cloned out two donkeys etc etc.

I will say it

... Some don't want to share all their workflow. (doesn't concern me tho)

I tend to give basic info, but what good would it do to say I cleaned 43 dust bunnies, removed aunt flow cat and processed whilst drinking a glass too many of red.

With my DMs I try not to give my interpretation, surely for a story that should be in the eye of the viewer?

Would the Mona Lisa have been as fascinating if Da Vinci had said it was my neighbour who was bored but welcomed the couple of florins I gave her. Oh and the backdrop was an old landscape that didn't quite work?

Last Modified By Nick_w at 5 Dec 2012 - 11:00 PM
franken
franken e2 Member 123127 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2012 - 6:55 AM

I tend to give some information although I rarely go into great detail.

When I brows through the gallery I stop at images that interest me and if I like them I either vote, comment or do both.

I rarely feel the need to know what camera, lens, exif data, what Photoshop process was used or where it was taken.

I'm probably one of the old fashioned type of photographers who appreciates work worth looking at and respond to it. Smile

Ken

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3796 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2012 - 7:28 AM

Personally........When I browse the Thumbnails, there are many shots that have instant appeal, others have mysterious intrigue because of the reduction in size......all the Cliches can be spotted.....others hit the spot at first glance......which is why I am a member and a huge fan of this Forum, I have learned so much.......I must admit to preferring to see a little relative text.

Hobbo

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.