Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I wish ....

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2012 - 9:24 AM

Chris, with respect I feel your comparison of a movie, be it a 60 minute one or 3 hours is quite irrelevant as a dialogue is running throughout explaining. Or subtitles throughout. Even old Charlie Chaplin silent films told a story through acting. One solitary image in my own humble opinion would certainly benefit by saying at the very least where it was taken. Even landscapes or Britain from the air had a narrative.

I often gaze on these wonderful images and frequently wonder where it was taken, and indeed on occasions ponder if it was a fully set up image, or one taken almost by accident. These are just very very basic inclusions that would make a world of difference; again my opinion. Yes I know I can contact the member and have done in the past, and have always received a polite answer, but I also feel I am bothering them as I do not know them from 'Adam!' It really would not take more than a few seconds (depending on how fast you type) to include a really basic description. It certainly does NOT need to be 'War & Peace,' that would almost certainly be counter-productive. But is a very short description that much to ask? I think not.

For me it makes a world of difference. For others; I appreciate it will not. I know .. can't please everyone all the time.Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Dec 2012 - 9:24 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Newdevonian
6 Dec 2012 - 9:37 AM

Quote: You don't vote on an image with no information Mike? Do you not like a movie til after you've read the end credits? Do you not enjoy a meal til you've been shown a list of ingredients and a description of how it was cooked Smile

No, but having enjoyed the meal, my wife will always ask what it is called and where can she get the recipe?

paulcookphotography

I went to an exhibition while visiting Japan some years ago. Fascinating and creative works, but I had no idea what was said in the little description cards next to each piece (as I can't read Japanese). Still managed to enjoy the exhibition though and found it quite inspirational.

For all I know, the descriptions could have been saying what the artist had for lunch or that they were out with the grandkids that day

Last Modified By paulcookphotography at 6 Dec 2012 - 10:11 AM
Jestertheclown
6 Dec 2012 - 10:21 AM

Quote: For all I know, the descriptions could have been saying what the artist had for lunch or that they were out with the grandkids that day

You'll find that on Facebook.

puertouk
puertouk  21012 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2012 - 10:38 AM

It would be nice for everyone to put in a description, especially if its a landscape image. Also a description would be nice when people do work in Photoshop, giving people an idea on how they came to the finished article. EXIF data is also a great way of learning how people got the shot. For them to go out and try it for themselves. Donīt forget, we are here to try and help other photographers, so why not share your experience with others to help them along the way.
Stephen

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
paulcookphotography

The point is that not every description or bit of info is relevant. If someone was looking for critique, then yes, i think some sort of information about their set up and what they were aiming to achieve or what restrictions they had would be very useful, but in the general gallery its not really that important. In that sort of scenario a description might add something to some images, but an image would certainly not suffer from the lack of a description.

In many cases the exif is uploaded with the image so that will show at least some of the technical side for those that are interested to know more, and as for further info, a decent or relevant title pretty much covers it

User_Removed
6 Dec 2012 - 10:56 AM

Quote: but having enjoyed the meal, my wife will always ask what it is called and where can she get the recipe?

But you see she's already enjoyed it and doesn't need the information in order to enjoy it.

Mike Otley claims "an image with no information does not get a vote from me"

He must visit art galleries and is unable to decide whether he likes a painting until he finds out what brush was used Tongue

User_Removed
6 Dec 2012 - 11:49 AM

Quote: When people go to the trouble of uploading an image to the gallery for votes etc, they would include a description

Funnier still is, despite backing you up, lack of description hasn't stopped Mike Otley from giving such images User Awards Grin

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2012 - 12:27 PM

When seeing an image I like, I typically think - how did they do that.
So Model/Lens/Exif is a great start, added descriptions around the process are cooler still. Then background text is the icing on the cake.

But mostly I want to see great images that trigger a reaction in me - if you don't provide details then I'll imagine my own description purely from the image alone - Maybe as a photo viewer this is a good discipline, And as a photo taker a good question - does my photo work to the general public viewer with no text?

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53992 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2012 - 12:33 PM

When I first see an image I instantly (usually) make a connection in my mind to something straight off. I'll then read the blurb because I do like to know a bit of background, but will most likely comment as per my initial reaction. I do occasionally like to see the exif data but only out of interest. You can't really tell much from that further to what you can deduce from the actual image but sometimes the equipment is interesting to note.

KNS
KNS  4106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2012 - 2:17 PM

Each and every image comes with its own set of comment fields - if you want details you can always ask LOL

photography is as much about inspiring the viewers imagination and their inquisitive spirit as it is about providing answers.....or indeed technical details.

Last Modified By KNS at 6 Dec 2012 - 2:22 PM
Newdevonian
6 Dec 2012 - 3:13 PM

Quote: but having enjoyed the meal, my wife will always ask what it is called and where can she get the recipe?
But you see she's already enjoyed it and doesn't need the information in order to enjoy it.Tongue

I never said that SHE enjoyed the meal!

I enjoyed the meal, so she wants to know how to prepare it again for me.

Oh well! We all live with our fantasies!GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

User_Removed
6 Dec 2012 - 3:23 PM

Ah I thought you were talking about your wife not yourself when you said "having enjoyed the meal, my wife..."

So you've enjoyed the meal, is that before your wife knows how to make it again?

Are you able to enjoy a photograph that doesn't have a description (like Mike Otley does Wink )

Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2012 - 3:45 PM

Please please don't take it somewhere that my original post didn't mean or intend. It is after all just my own personal observation, wish & opinion. Like I said, it would be nice if peeps did just to know where if nothing else!

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2012 - 4:18 PM

Quote: Ah I thought you were talking about your wife not yourself when you said "having enjoyed the meal, my wife..."

So you've enjoyed the meal, is that before your wife knows how to make it again?

Are you able to enjoy a photograph that doesn't have a description (like Mike Otley does Wink )

Let's get this right: you want to know if Mike enjoyed the photograph made by NDs wife of the meal that ND had enjoyed, even though the photograph of the meal had no caption to show which meal it was before they had enjoyed but before they had eaten it? Hm.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.