Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

I wish ....

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
6 Dec 2012 - 4:19 PM

I agree with Mike (mozzy) - I like to see a few words in the description field. It doesn't affect whether or not I like the image. In fact I'd put it the other way around - if I like it, I'm more likely to be curious to know more about it, or the photographer's inspiration. It's not a requirement though.

For myself, I feel that it's part of sharing my photos to also take the time to add a few words. However, that's just my personal view. Sometimes it's not easy to find much to say!

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Dec 2012 - 4:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315487 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2012 - 7:33 PM

If a picture needs a title or any more than a few words to describe it, its failed Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 6 Dec 2012 - 7:34 PM
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73886 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 8:22 AM

Quote: EXIF data is also a great way of learning how people got the shot. For them to go out and try it for themselves.

So why would knowing someone used 1/3 sec at F18 at ISO100 help? ...without understanding what each of the perimeters control, then if you know that you don't need the EXIF.

Quote: Also a description would be nice when people do work in Photoshop

Some of my DM have run into as many as 60 layers, if I discussed every layer in detail, it would take hours.

Surely this should be a site to display photos, not be judged on your ability to write English prose.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 7 Dec 2012 - 8:26 AM
mikehit
mikehit  56545 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 9:42 AM

Quote:
So why would knowing someone used 1/3 sec at F18 at ISO100 help? ...without understanding what each of the perimeters control, then if you know that you don't need the EXIF.

Flowing water for example - to see what sort of shutter speeds give you water with a bit of 'freeze' or turns it milky
Birds - what shutter speeds will 'freeze' the birds wings and which speed will give a bit (or total) blur
In many cases, you can just go out and try it, but with (for example) birds wings you may not have too much time to try so it is good to have a starting point.

Quote: Some of my DM have run into as many as 60 layers, if I discussed every layer in detail, it would take hours.

Some people are interested to read if the picture is 'as shot' or if they have tweaked curves etc. I know quite a few tricks on PSE, but often my stumbling point is knowing what trick to use when, I don't think anyone is asking for a blow-by-blow account of your workflow.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73886 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 9:53 AM

Quote: Some people are interested to read if the picture is 'as shot' or if they have tweaked curves etc. I know quite a few tricks on PSE, but often my stumbling point is knowing what trick to use when, I don't think anyone is asking for a blow-by-blow account of your workflow.

But that is what was said earlier in the thread - marking as "Digitally Modified" tells you its not "as shot"

Unless I've missed something know where in the EXIF does it says "Freeze and turns it Milky"

If someone wants to learn more now that's different. Why not PM the member and ask? Or there a very good tutorial section here under inspiration, I fail to see why every image uploaded needs to have war and peace written about it.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 7 Dec 2012 - 9:57 AM
Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 4550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 10:03 AM

Quote: When people go to the trouble of uploading an image to the gallery for votes etc, they would include a description. It seems odd to just dump an image and say nothing. Like where what and so on. Just saying.

As I said. 'War and Peace' would be plain daft. A few snippets would seem to me to be more than sensible, helpful and considerate. Sure there are some mind blowing amazing images on the photo gallery almost always on a daily basis but I for one do actually find it quite frustrating when it is assumed the image is so brilliant it needs no explanation whatsoever. I often find myself wondering where it was taken, as I do when health permits like to get out and about to enjoy this magnificent land. One a long time ago was very local to me; I had no idea , but with a brief description both my wife and I went there to enjoy the landscape, enjoy a cup of tea and a slice of fruit-cake. There was just thirteen words, but I'll wager it conjured up a fair image without a picture. A picture with no words is just that. It could be anywhere, anyhow, anywhatever. I'll say again, I personally don't feel it is a lot to ask.

Nick_w
7 Dec 2012 - 10:17 AM

Quote: A picture with no words is just that

Had DaVinci issued a description when he painted the Mona Lisa, do you think it would have held the interest it still does today?

To me the photographer or artist creates an image, the real interest is in how the image interacts with the person viewing it (and not words).

If the artist tells you all about it that interation is gone, and you move on to the next click.

BTW - I generally do include a few words, certainly with landscapes - location is nearly always in the tags

Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 4550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 10:34 AM

Great Nick, I'm pleased you include a few words then on your own uploaded images.

User_Removed
7 Dec 2012 - 10:51 AM

I've had a bit of a change of heart about this subject after reading more.

I still think Mike Otley's refusal to vote on pictures with no description is ridiculous but I do take the original poster's point that it would be nice to see some info with pictures for those who like to know more about where they were taken and how. It doesn't take people long to write a short line about that or choose some menu items. I think that's all the OP is asking rather than arguing that pictures without descriptions aren't any good.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110310 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 11:31 AM

Interesting thoughts and comments, I tend to fall into the camp that prefers a few words of explanation, either to give a context or to describe a technique associated with the shot.

I find that whenever I put work into an exhibition (or have my own exhibition) the gallery always requests an "Artist's Statement or Commentary" to give the viewers a better understanding of the work (even though a picture should be worth a thousand words Smile )

Last Modified By brian1208 at 7 Dec 2012 - 11:32 AM
tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95919 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 9:03 PM

Quote: I still think Mike Otley's refusal to vote on pictures with no description is ridiculous

Why Chris?

I can see Mike's point of view

Top shot maybe, but where did you take it, when did you take it, how did you take it and so on and so on?

An image say, taken on a wet Friday pm, might have had a lot more effort and nous put into it, than say the same image taken on a a Tuesday amSmile

I for one, still bemoan the total lack of EXIF data submitted by some posters

Is it that big a secret - I think at times it is, because the correct EXIF would not be compatible with the actual upload - we are talking about total manipulation, which should be described as such

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315487 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 9:10 PM

Quote: I can see Mike's point of view

So can I, the reasons for voting are probably more subjective than the votes themselves Smile

This is a community and we are all very different.

scrimmy
scrimmy e2 Member 6367 forum postsscrimmy vcard Scotland5 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 9:28 PM

jesus I struggle with a title never mind a description Tongue

franken
franken e2 Member 123143 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 9:47 PM

Quote: Is it that big a secret - I think at times it is, because the correct EXIF would not be compatible with the actual upload - we are talking about total manipulation, which should be described as such

Exif data can be whatever you want it to be really as you can manually input it.

Ken

Paul Morgan
7 Dec 2012 - 10:05 PM

I`ve never much seen the point in Exif, its too easy to change Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.