Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Iceland,Photo holiday

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
MikeH
MikeH  9217 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2008 - 7:01 PM

I am planning a photo holiday to Iceland next year and before I start trawling the internet I would like comments from members who have actually experienced this trip before.
I always find that true life experience is handy to know about and crucially from a photographers point of view.
Best time of year, accommodation and transport are my first items to look at. I anticipate travelling around and do not want luxury digs.
If anyone can put me on the right path to get started I would really appreciate that,

Mike

Last Modified By MikeH at 16 Aug 2008 - 7:02 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Aug 2008 - 7:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jeanie
jeanie e2 Member 105968 forum postsjeanie vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2008 - 7:10 PM

You might want to check out HappyOstrich's portfolio.. he lives/works that way and has some super images. He may be the chap to give you the best tips.

Jeanie

Last Modified By jeanie at 16 Aug 2008 - 7:11 PM
User_Removed
16 Aug 2008 - 7:15 PM

Quote: Best time of year

I would suggest that the summer months would offer you more options. There's some dramatic winter stuff includng the chance of an aurora or two but more of the country is accessible in the summer, widening your options. Then there's those long long slow summer evenings. No rush.

Quote:
accommodation

Outside of the main towns you're somewhat restricted to hotels, which can be quite expensive. But there's plenty of companies that will arrange it for you. Camping's always an option but the weather can be very unpredictable. There's also hostels, which tend to be fairly basic but cheap.

Quote:
transport

There's buses, which go 'round the whole island and if you hire a car you're faced with negotiating a lot of unsurfaced roads. It may be ensible to travel between stops on buses and then hire a taxi or take a tour at each of the stops. You'll get to all of the major tourist stops either by bus or by taxi but a car will get you to the out-of-the-way places. I'm not sure how much car hire is these days.

Beware dust, which can be a real nuisance. Fine, abrasive volcanic dust that can really get into the nooks and ruin your kit.

A fabulous, austere, fascinating country. I just wish they'd change thier whaling policy.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
bangalicious
16 Aug 2008 - 7:17 PM

I have some friends in Iceland, and they tell me that it is a photographers paradise for landscapes. I have heard that the northern lights are only visibe in the winter.

Anil.

loweskid
loweskid  132042 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2008 - 8:29 PM

Quote: I have heard that the northern lights are only visibe in the winter.

Not true - saw them three nights running in late August when I was there in 1985. The nights are getting dark by then. Spectacular too!

Quote: I'm not sure how much car hire is these days

Bloody expensive! If you are going for more than a couple of weeks it might cost less to take your own car across from Scrabster via the Faroe Islands. See Smyril Line. You won't be able to use the inland tracks though, unless you've got a suitable vehicle. I'm also thinking of Iceland next year - was going to Norway but it looks like the Newcastle-Bergen ferry won't be running any more after this year.

jon gibbs
jon gibbs  10147 forum posts2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2008 - 9:11 AM

Hi Mike
Was there in July.Simply stunning.
Tony (Hapy Ostrich) is your man to speak to.
jon

steveb
steveb  10330 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Aug 2008 - 10:10 AM

I was thinking of planning a winter trip, air fares are reasonable, hostel accomodation more cost effective than hotels, but vehicle hire is very expensive, as you need a decent 4WD to get to the interesting bits, thats whats put me off for now.

User_Removed
17 Aug 2008 - 5:51 PM

Quote: as you need a decent 4WD to get to the interesting bits,

Most of the interior is not actually accessible by conventional vehicle at all in winter.

Les_G
Les_G  7148 forum posts Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2008 - 7:42 PM

Watch out for the hostels being open in the winter, many are schools that are used when the children are on vacation.

Great country, but also as other folks have said driving off-road needs to be considered, most hire companies consider your insurance invalid as soon as the wheels touch water.

You might want to check out Daniel Bergman, very expensive but good photographer.

Also, remember to pick up some duty free on the way in, else it could be a 'dry' holiday!

scottishphototours

This site always amazes me.

I've been here for years and never heard of happyostrich, just looked up his site and the pic of the week is a STUNNER ! - go take a look...

We tried organising a photo tour to Iceland for 2 years running - had everything in place, but no customers ! - expect the costs put a lot of people off but the locals are well set up to cater for photographers and their transport, so it can be done.

Andy.

JamesBurns
17 Aug 2008 - 8:29 PM

Quote: I'm also thinking of Iceland next year - was going to Norway but it looks like the Newcastle-Bergen ferry won't be running any more after this year.

Vince,

Don't know if it's of any interest, but you can now fly direct to Tromso from Stanstead... I'm planning a trip up that way for the Northern Lights Festival in 2010...

As for Iceland - I went at the end of March last year - best of both worlds really - enough snow and ice to make it interesting, but enough of a thaw to mean that there was plenty accessible. We hired a car in the UK to pick up when we arrived, and it worked out significantly cheaper than hiring once we were out there.

In terms of accommodation, outside of Reykjavik and Aakueri you're going to struggle. Best bet is to get hold of a copy of a Rough Guide or a Lonely Planet guide.

loweskid
17 Aug 2008 - 8:36 PM

Thanks James but I have a small camper van (converted Mazda Bongo) and I'm planning taking this across to either Norway or Iceland, for up to two months. Accommodation won't be a problem - I just park up anywhere and get a brew on!

Last Modified By loweskid at 17 Aug 2008 - 8:37 PM
JamesBurns
17 Aug 2008 - 8:41 PM

Ahhh... No worries Vince.

Can I just say that I'm so incredibly jealous though? Wink

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2008 - 8:49 PM

Quote: Can I just say that I'm so incredibly jealous though?

Me too.
:-(

loweskid
17 Aug 2008 - 9:30 PM

You wouldn't be so jealous of the MPG! Averaged over two years - 22mpg (it's 2.5 ltr diesel 4WD auto). However, I don't spend much on accommodation Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.