Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Iceland Volcano shots...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    JamesAppleton

Perhaps a good indication of the flawed "voting" system here - this shot, and others from the same location of a slight variety, has made a number of national and international papers, as listed below

Le Figaro (French)
    The Sun
    The Daily Mail

It was also published in the Metro, the Cambridge Evening News, and will be published in the Swedish Metro tomorrow. Professional photographer and What Digital Camera are also running small articles with this trip featured.

And for all that coverage nationally/internationally? 25 votes - not even enough to garner a readers choice :-p

Not that I'm bitter or anything...

J

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Jul 2010 - 1:33 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mohikan22
    mohikan22  102188 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jul 2010 - 7:56 AM

I for one "like it" but then what is a click if you have made the papers? i have a HC and many RC but no papers, BUT i am happy enough to know my "hobby" works and others also enjoy it.
    matt.

JohnParminter

Hello James,
    The amount of votes don't always correlate to image success in other areas. You have a very newsworthy image that is understandable that the press would like to use, the volcano was big news especially as it directly affected folk's daily business but there can be differences between what is a news interesting image and one that could garner say an RC in votes.

I think it is an interesting news related image but for aesthetic reasons I don't particularly like it, not enough to vote on, the composition is a bit cluttered especially in the foreground which doesn't reinforce the volcano against the sky, the colours are a bit garish and uneasy on my eye (not suggesting it is photoshoped and could have been reality) and I don't really get an overwhelming sense of the power of the volcano. These are just simply a few reasons why I personally didn't vote on it, perhaps others feel similar as images are all very subjective.

I don't doubt that you experienced a fabulous scene and it must have been pretty exciting and spectacular being there but that sense hasn't been translated too convincingly to me in your image. I have seen quite a few images that did translate the power of this volcano and at the same time display beautiful aesthetic qualities, I won't link here as I don't want to start comparing but if you are interested I can forward to you for reference.

Regards,
    John

samfurlong
    1 Jul 2010 - 8:27 AM

Hahaha yes James I know what you mean. I work for the parent company of Masons, the guys who syndicated your pictures for you and my work is all over the place like your recent images, almost daily.
    I have had images make double page spreads in the guardian / mail / telegraph etc.. and get barely a sniff on here.
    It's just peoples tastes, what floats the boat of newspaper picture desks isn't nessecarily going to float the boat of photo enthusiasts.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jul 2010 - 8:34 AM

I 100% agree with what John said.
    Newsworthy, but not quite work from photography pov.
    In fact I prefer the 2nd shot in Daily Mail, more than that one you uploaded.

BTW, congrats on huge success!

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 1 Jul 2010 - 8:35 AM
    davidbailie
    davidbailie e2 Member 11451 forum postsdavidbailie vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jul 2010 - 8:35 AM

I am no champion of the way votes are cast on this site - however - (
    Quote: Perhaps a good indication of the flawed "voting" system here

) - I am not sure that the fact that your shot appear in a dozen newpapers has much relevance to the voting system here -

Perhaps if they were voting for the bravest photographer around you may have a point -

I reckon it's a highly colourful shot of a very dramatic event and was particularly relevant at the time -

Must admire your energy tho!!

Good stuff Smile

db

JohnParminter

Hello again James, I was going to go on and say but I forgot, that votes on EPZ aren't really the be all and end all in the big world of photography. You are obviously enjoying press success with these images of your trip and being paid maybe, this could be more satisification than a few dozen votes of appreciation.
    I wouldn't assume the voting system is flawed from your scenario, the voting is just what it is.

I once entered a mono image in a local photo contest and it won me 1000 but I didn't even upload here as it was one I didn't particularly want to share with others and I knew it would get very few votes. The photo had its use without even troubling the good folk here to vote on it.

Smile
    John

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.