Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

If a tripod says ...

Mozzytheboy e2
4 702 3 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2012 8:22PM
Yes I know tripods don't speak. But, if the tripod detailing says weight or load eg 8kg, is that the weight in total it will cope with or what weight head it will accept as a maximum? I ask as heads in particular the SBH-250/300 from Vanguard suggest 25/30 kilo limit. and it seems impossible to find any tripod that will handle much more than around 8 kilos.

This is why I ask if they mean the head weight that the tripod is capable of handling.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
30 Dec 2012 8:28PM

Quote:...and it seems impossible to find any tripod that will handle much more than around 8 kilos.

What camera are you using Mozzy?? A brass and walnut 10" x 8"!!!
Mozzytheboy e2
4 702 3 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2012 8:35PM
I know i'm old but not that old.Tongue
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
30 Dec 2012 8:38PM
8Kg's will be fine for your SLR and any lens combination you would normally use Mozzy... (Waits for the smarta**e to say 'Wot abaht the Sigma Bigma den??' !!)

Wink
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
30 Dec 2012 8:40PM
Weight refers to the weight of the tripod alone.... no head, no camera gear

Load refers to the weight that can be " loaded" onto the tripod

This will included the combined weight of BOTH head & camera gear.

The 25 / 30 kilogram limit for the head refers to the weigh that could be loaded onto that head

Have to say I am not sure what camera body / lens combination would be that heavy, pehaps a professional video camera with microphones attached etc.

If you are considering that particular head for general camera gear then the salient weight would be that of the head itself and not the maximum load limit.

As for tripods taking 25 / 30 kilogram loads then I guess, without researching, the Gitzo series 4 or 5 which are probably in the range of 600 to 1,000
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
30 Dec 2012 8:42PM

Quote:What camera are you using Mozzy?? A brass and walnut 10" x 8"!!!

Or as a jack for a reliant robin Smile
Mozzytheboy e2
4 702 3 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2012 8:52PM
I'd not thought of that PaulSmile @Mike I'll say nothing ... hard as it is Tongue

You bad men youGrin
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
30 Dec 2012 9:38PM

Quote:8Kg's will be fine for your SLR and any lens combination you would normally use Mozzy...

. . . just don't expect it to be able to support your wallet.
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
30 Dec 2012 11:06PM

Quote:Yes I know tripods don't speak. But, if the tripod detailing says weight or load eg 8kg, is that the weight in total it will cope with or what weight head it will accept as a maximum? I ask as heads in particular the SBH-250/300 from Vanguard suggest 25/30 kilo limit. and it seems impossible to find any tripod that will handle much more than around 8 kilos.

This is why I ask if they mean the head weight that the tripod is capable of handling.

The 8kg load would be the maximum load supported by the tripod, i.e. the tripod head and camera/lens/flash,etc.

There are loads of tripods that will take way more than 8 kg's. Most of the Gitzo Systematic tripods will take up to 40 kg's, and some up to 25 kg's.
Mozzytheboy e2
4 702 3 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2012 8:11AM
Good point Jester. Thanks justin. Jeez they is expensive!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.