Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

If a tripod says ...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Mozzytheboy
    Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Dec 2012 - 8:22 PM

Yes I know tripods don't speak. But, if the tripod detailing says weight or load eg 8kg, is that the weight in total it will cope with or what weight head it will accept as a maximum? I ask as heads in particular the SBH-250/300 from Vanguard suggest 25/30 kilo limit. and it seems impossible to find any tripod that will handle much more than around 8 kilos.

This is why I ask if they mean the head weight that the tripod is capable of handling.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Dec 2012 - 8:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    30 Dec 2012 - 8:28 PM

Quote: ...and it seems impossible to find any tripod that will handle much more than around 8 kilos.

What camera are you using Mozzy?? A brass and walnut 10" x 8"!!!

Mozzytheboy
    Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Dec 2012 - 8:35 PM

I know i'm old but not that old.Tongue

User_Removed
    30 Dec 2012 - 8:38 PM

8Kg's will be fine for your SLR and any lens combination you would normally use Mozzy... (Waits for the smarta**e to say 'Wot abaht the Sigma Bigma den??' !!)

Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 30 Dec 2012 - 8:39 PM
    JJGEE
    JJGEE  96308 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Dec 2012 - 8:40 PM

Weight refers to the weight of the tripod alone.... no head, no camera gear

Load refers to the weight that can be " loaded" onto the tripod

This will included the combined weight of BOTH head & camera gear.

The 25 / 30 kilogram limit for the head refers to the weigh that could be loaded onto that head

Have to say I am not sure what camera body / lens combination would be that heavy, pehaps a professional video camera with microphones attached etc.

If you are considering that particular head for general camera gear then the salient weight would be that of the head itself and not the maximum load limit.

As for tripods taking 25 / 30 kilogram loads then I guess, without researching, the Gitzo series 4 or 5 which are probably in the range of 600 to 1,000

Last Modified By JJGEE at 30 Dec 2012 - 8:41 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Dec 2012 - 8:42 PM

Quote: What camera are you using Mozzy?? A brass and walnut 10" x 8"!!!

Or as a jack for a reliant robin Smile

Mozzytheboy
    30 Dec 2012 - 8:52 PM

I'd not thought of that PaulSmile @Mike I'll say nothing ... hard as it is Tongue

You bad men youGrin

Jestertheclown
    30 Dec 2012 - 9:38 PM

Quote: 8Kg's will be fine for your SLR and any lens combination you would normally use Mozzy...

. . . just don't expect it to be able to support your wallet.

justin c
    justin c  104527 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Dec 2012 - 11:06 PM

Quote: Yes I know tripods don't speak. But, if the tripod detailing says weight or load eg 8kg, is that the weight in total it will cope with or what weight head it will accept as a maximum? I ask as heads in particular the SBH-250/300 from Vanguard suggest 25/30 kilo limit. and it seems impossible to find any tripod that will handle much more than around 8 kilos.

This is why I ask if they mean the head weight that the tripod is capable of handling.

The 8kg load would be the maximum load supported by the tripod, i.e. the tripod head and camera/lens/flash,etc.

There are loads of tripods that will take way more than 8 kg's. Most of the Gitzo Systematic tripods will take up to 40 kg's, and some up to 25 kg's.

Mozzytheboy
    31 Dec 2012 - 8:11 AM

Good point Jester. Thanks justin. Jeez they is expensive!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.