Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

if compact camera can take such good quality photo, why do we have to spend thous...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Enough Already
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2013 - 4:28 PM

I just been asking myself the very same question, why get a compact camera with a tiny sensor when you can find m4/3 camera`s that are in some cases even smaller than some compact, but giving quality more or less equal to dslrs.

See this thread.

http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/m-4-3-101830

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Mar 2013 - 4:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139461 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2013 - 9:06 PM

You won't get a smaller compact than mine! Wink But I do agree really, a compact which is not shirt-pocketable is scarcely worth having, these days.

1-sony-dsc-tx55.jpg

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2013 - 9:09 PM

Yeh but I think most people that would be looking at compacts that small will already have it coverd by there mobile phone Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139461 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2013 - 9:13 PM

It's smaller than a smartphone! Wink

Also mobiles don't have optical zooms, a fairly decent 1/2.3" sensor (16Mp) and AVCHD video.............

Paul Morgan
6 Mar 2013 - 9:30 PM

Did you see the small pic I added to the other thread, a M4/3 camera that is smaller than my point and shoot Smile

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2013 - 10:16 PM

Here are some other reasons for buying a compact camera rather than a DSLR:-

From Ren Kockwell's only slightly OTT review of the Fuji XE-1:- Wink

"It's better built than anything today from Nikon or Canon, and the same as LEICA "

"The X-E1 just shoots, and the results are always super-sharp and well exposed better than I get from DSLRs, whose exposure and focus aren't always dead-on as they are with the X-E1."

"The almost all-metal X-E1 is better-built than a Nikon D4"

"The X-E1 has image quality and lenses more like my LEICA M9 than any DSLR, and it's smaller and lighter than any DSLR or LEICA. The X-E1 does what the LEICA M9 does well, even better than the M9 does it!"

"Fuji lenses are as good as the Zeiss lenses for the Contax G2 and LEICA's lenses."

"The X-E1 is a fraction the price of a Canon 5D Mark III or Nikon D800, so if you already have a 5D Mark II or D700, you might want to get an X-E1 for half the price of the 5D Mark III or D800, each of which are mostly the same as the older models, while these new Fujis are in a class by themselves."

And, believe me there was a lot more about how much better the XE-1 is than anything Canikon make and all for a fraction of the price of any of them.

We all believe Ken, now don't we? Wink

Carabosse
6 Mar 2013 - 10:44 PM

Ken will say anything to get people flocking to his website. It's how he earns his living.

daveth1956
6 Mar 2013 - 10:45 PM

I have a Panasonic TZ20 for when on nights out or parties etc, like to have a few beers and don't want to be watching my equipment all night, the results usually say to me "bet you wish you brought big brother, don't you" I like my big kit, you see I am not bothered what others say or think, I don't have to justify my equipment to anybody. I just have to be happy with me and my results.

Last Modified By daveth1956 at 6 Mar 2013 - 10:50 PM
iancrowson
iancrowson e2 Member 4211 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom129 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2013 - 11:12 PM

I own an Fuji X-E1, it's fairly compact. I bought it with street photography in Cuba in mind. It is superb and has produced great prints up around a metre long. It's beautifully made, discreet, dead easy to control and certainly gives as good and in some cases better results than the average DSLR. And I bought before reading Ken Rockwell review which I would agree with anyway. I previously had a Canon Gx1 which was good but a long way behind the Fuji.
Ian

chrisheathcote
chrisheathcote e2 Member 8241 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
7 Mar 2013 - 9:30 AM

Quote: Don't forget the street-cred!

At FOCUS, you can always spot the "proper photographer"s because they always wander round with expensive cameras round their necks.

Don't forget the all important 600mm attached to the front of it Grin

I went and all I had was my 60D body attached to my BR Sport under my jacket. So that I can try a couple of lenses I was thinking of buying.

Anyway back on topic, I think there will always be a market for both, I know that I for one also have a point and shoot, which is used for nights out or those occasions where I can't carry my main kit. I will have a P&S in my pocket just in case. I've missed too many shots due to not have a camera with me in the past. Its also great on holidays for snorkelling because its waterproof to 10m.

TonyCoridan
7 Mar 2013 - 12:19 PM

Quote: I own an Fuji X-E1, it's fairly compact. I bought it with street photography in Cuba in mind. It is superb and has produced great prints up around a metre long. It's beautifully made, discreet, dead easy to control and certainly gives as good and in some cases better results than the average DSLR. And I bought before reading Ken Rockwell review which I would agree with anyway. I previously had a Canon Gx1 which was good but a long way behind the Fuji.
Ian

You wouldn't an expensive DSLR+lenses to Cuba?

And why?Grin

Tony?

ChrisV
ChrisV  7786 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2013 - 12:50 PM

The Fuji XE1 isn't a compact - none of the CSCs are including the GF1 [and I owned one of those with the 20mm lens - a cracking combination].

The two main influences on technical image quality* are sensor size and lens quality - not necessarily in that order.

Unfortunately both these things have consequences for the bulk of the equipment. Some people it must be admitted, walk around with a 'mine is bigger than yours attitude'. I think that's probably responsible for a sizeable proportion of portrait grips sold at the consumer end of the market. Personally I know of few people who have to carry about hefty gear as part of their normal working days, wouldn't be grateful for the chance of reducing the bulk. The problem is that that would also reduce their capabilities/options.

Having said that, technology moves on and today's CSCs are definitely more capable of capturing technically better images than their DSLR counterparts of ten years ago and less. Many Pros are carrying around kit that is of a fair vintage [because their employers have invested a fair amount in it and expect to get a few years' use out of it].

But when they do replace those 1dsIIs and 1dIIIs it will likely be with 1Dxs - because the system is in place and it's workhorse equipment that will give the greatest practical options in the here and now (or of course Nikon equivalents depending probably on continuing lens/peripheral investment).

*[apart from the ambient light which trumps everything, but which you have no control over unless using some form of artificial light - but then you're moving away from the whole compact kit idea anyway]

DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY  61432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2013 - 6:09 PM

There are advantages and disadvantages to all types of camera. I recently gave my slr to my granddaughter as my photographic needs are quite simple these days and I no longer wish to carry around a bag full of equipment when I go out. I now own a Canon travel zoom compact which has a 25-500 mm equiv lens and is small enough to fit into a coat pocket. It produces good, sharp images and is ideal for holiday use and as a take anywhere camera. I also own a bridge camera which offers a few more options than the compact.

Where compacts and bridge cameras fall down against an slr is their limited range of apertures which, in turn, limits control over depth of field and shutter speeds, but the extra depth of field that you can get from compact/bridge cameras can be of value in subjects like landscapes and close-ups.

At the end of the day it's horses for courses. Decide what your photographic needs are and buy accordingly.

Paul Morgan
7 Mar 2013 - 6:30 PM

Quote: The Fuji XE1 isn't a compact - none of the CSCs are including the GF1 [and I owned one of those with the 20mm lens - a cracking combination]

The GF2 and the GF3 is, I believe the GF2 is about 18% smaller than the GF1, the GF3 is even smaller.

The newer GF`s are certainly compact enough to class as compacts when fitted with the 14mm or 20mm pancakes lenses, its one of the reasons I got myself one.

1-p1010073.jpg
Top Fuji x10 compact, bottom Panasonic GF2 + 14mm Pancake.

Quote: The two main influences on technical image quality* are sensor size and lens quality - not necessarily in that order.
Unfortunately both these things have consequences for the bulk of the equipment

Not any more.

Carabosse
7 Mar 2013 - 6:46 PM

Quote: The two main influences on technical image quality* are sensor size and lens quality

Quality of pixels also comes into it.... big time! Wink

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Enough Already