Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

if compact camera can take such good quality photo, why do we have to spend thous...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Enough Already
ChrisV
ChrisV  7771 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 3:54 PM

That lens is actually under 200mm - the crop factor is 5x because of that massive 1/2" sensor. Why that's so big, you could only fit 29 of them in the area taken up by a 35mm format sensor.

Bridge cameras are for people who only selectively like big numbers.

Last Modified By ChrisV at 21 Mar 2013 - 3:55 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Mar 2013 - 3:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

weseeyou
weseeyou  3112 forum posts
21 Mar 2013 - 5:04 PM

yes Chris but why would anyone needing a 1000mm lens reach for wildlife photography want a 35mm format sensor camera ?
You are just arguing for the sake of it .. a troll....

Bridge cameras are for sensible people who recognise that 35mm format sensor cameras are for people who are impressed with size and how much things have cost themWink

mikehit
mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 5:11 PM

Quote: yes Chris but why would anyone needing a 1000mm lens reach for wildlife photography want a 35mm format sensor camera ?

The Fuji has a lens with focal length of 4mm to 160mm but it is '1000mm equivalent' due to the sensor size (the sensor is 4mmx6mm compared to 24x36 on a DSLR). In other words you can get the same effect by putting a 200mm lens on a 35mm body and copping to 1/6 in each dimension. Or with a 35mm lens you can put a 400mm lens on, crop 6-fold and have a better image still.

Quote: Bridge cameras are for sensible people who recognise that 35mm format sensor cameras are for people who are impressed with size and how much things have cost them

try blowing a bridge camera up to 36"x24" Blush
Another key issue for wildlife is that shutter lag in bridge cameras is much longer so you are more likely to miss the shot

Last Modified By mikehit at 21 Mar 2013 - 5:13 PM
ChrisV
ChrisV  7771 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 5:21 PM

Quote: Yes Chris but why would anyone needing a 1000mm lens reach for wildlife photography want a 35mm format sensor camera ?

Great image quality?

Quote: Bridge cameras are for self deluding people who don't mind noise at base ISOs and purple halos around any areas of contrast; or think you can get the performance of a Ferrari for the cost of a Lada

That is what you meant to say, right?

Last Modified By ChrisV at 21 Mar 2013 - 5:22 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 6:01 PM

Quote: Bridge cameras are for people who only selectively like big numbers

What a stupid comment.

Penis comes to mind Chris, little boys, big toys and all that Smile

If I ever wanted a none DSLR bridge with good reach, something like the Fuji X-S1 would do me.

I believe the latest bread of Fuji X`s use phase detect autofocus, as good as any dslr.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 21 Mar 2013 - 6:03 PM
lemmy
lemmy  71835 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Mar 2013 - 6:52 PM

Quote: What a stupid comment.

Do we have to be so rude? We complain about MP's behavior in Parliament but they are discussing matters of national importance at least. Here we discuss trivial matters of camera preferences and we get the same thing.

Is a comment stupid because someone doesn't agree with it? Remarks about penises aren't made better because a smiley is put after them. It just devalues the use of smileys.

llareggub
llareggub  4683 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Mar 2013 - 6:52 PM

Quote:

If you are in any doubt about IQ image quality have at the images on this this Flickr group Fuji HS50 owners group

There are 11 photos in this group, I took a look at the 1st four, the 1st 2 are only available at 1024X761, the third is available @2048X1761 and the 4th at 1600X1181... If you are looking at them on a monitor then they are acceptable but view the 3rd or 4th at full resolution as far as I am concerned they are fit for nothing other than the trash can!

I say post up a 100% 800px crop of your 1100mm and compare it to a 100% 800px crop from any DSLR and run a poll on which is the better camera the answer would be simple and the bridge gets nowhere (I'm not afraid to offer one of mine in that challenge). They are great when it comes to posting on the web but the minute you want to take to print they lack in every single area!

Last Modified By llareggub at 21 Mar 2013 - 6:54 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 7:10 PM

Its no different to wine tasting really: you can buy a big ballsy Aussie Shiraz for a fiver that is quite drinkable. You can spend an extra tenner and get one that has subtle overtones that enhance the experience - some people think it is worth paying that extra, others don't even if they agree the wine is better. Some people say that because the cheaper one is good value (drinkable and cheap) they claim that it is de facto a better wine and nothing will convince them otherwise. If someone is happy with a supercam image of a bird in the distance then that is fine - and to behonest I am sure that for 70% of my photography something like the Fuji is probably good enough, but I buy the DSLR for the 30% of the time I want something better, particularly low light shooting and telephoto work.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 7:13 PM

Quote: Do we have to be so rude?

Rude, who is being rude ?

lemmy
21 Mar 2013 - 7:20 PM

Quote: Rude, who is being rude ?

I thought you were. But if you don't see your remarks as rude, then I suppose they aren't. To me calling someone with a different opinion stupid is rude but I'm probably in a minority of one on that.

Paul Morgan
21 Mar 2013 - 7:23 PM

Quote: Bridge cameras are for people who only selectively like big numbers

I was replying to this stupid comment.

lemmy
21 Mar 2013 - 7:26 PM

Right, I'm in a minority of one on that, then.

petebfrance
21 Mar 2013 - 7:33 PM

"One day me Ma's relations came round to visit me,
Just as my father's kinfolk were all sitting down to tea.
We tried to smooth things over, but they all began to fight
And me, being strictly neutral, I bashed everyone in sight.

Chorus:
Oh, it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen,
Me father has a DSLR, me mother has a bridge....." oh Tongue it doesn't rhyme Sad
Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 7:38 PM

LMAO! Grin

weseeyou
weseeyou  3112 forum posts
21 Mar 2013 - 8:26 PM

Quote:

There are 11 photos in this group, I took a look at the 1st four, the 1st 2 are only available at 1024X761, the third is available @2048X1761 and the 4th at 1600X1181... If you are looking at them on a monitor then they are acceptable but view the 3rd or 4th at full resolution as far as I am concerned they are fit for nothing other than the trash can!

!

in your haste to rubbish a 400 compact camera you are losing sight of the fact that there is no DSLR camera on the planet that can match the HS50 in any respect at this price level or probably even double this price.Wink

I want an image that I can upload to various forums and show to other wildlife enthusiasts and view on my lcd monitor . The HS50 does this perfectly .I certainly do not want to print any of my 1000's of images I take every year. What on earth do you do with all your mega sized prints?

There is nowhere that will host and let you view the 6.5MB images of this camera without professional subscription let alone full size 20Mp+ DSLR images

You are so rabidly anti compact cameras and yet you have not even bothered to read up and aquaint yourself with the specs of this amazing camera, how can anyone take your opinions seriously? .

Tell me... do you spend all evening pixel peeping your huge images at 100% and wonder what you are going to do with them ?

Last Modified By weseeyou at 21 Mar 2013 - 8:29 PM

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Enough Already