Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

if compact camera can take such good quality photo, why do we have to spend thous...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Enough Already
weseeyou
weseeyou  3112 forum posts
21 Mar 2013 - 8:40 PM


Quote: y
The Fuji has a lens with focal length of 4mm to 160mm
its 4mm to 185mm actuallyWink
. Or with a 35mm lens you can put a 400mm lens on, crop 6-fold and have a better image still.


try blowing a bridge camera up to 36"x24" Blush

sorry ... tell me again why would anyone actually want to do that ?

Another key issue for wildlife is that shutter lag in bridge cameras is much longer so you are more likely to miss the shot

This silly comment really does show up your ignorance doesn't it. The Fuji HS50 has a .5second start up time ,0.5 second shutter speed and 0.5 second shot to shot speed (ie faster than you could press and release the shutter release button. Plus an 11fps rate at 16Mp
Always best to make sure of your facts when slagging something off
Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Mar 2013 - 8:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy
lemmy  71768 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Mar 2013 - 9:17 PM

Old Chinese saying

No matter what it is, someone, somewhere, take it too seriously.

llareggub
llareggub  3664 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Mar 2013 - 9:30 PM


Quote: There are 11 photos in this group, I took a look at the 1st four, the 1st 2 are only available at 1024X761, the third is available @2048X1761 and the 4th at 1600X1181... If you are looking at them on a monitor then they are acceptable but view the 3rd or 4th at full resolution as far as I am concerned they are fit for nothing other than the trash can!

!

in your haste to rubbish a £400 compact camera you are losing sight of the fact that there is no DSLR camera on the planet that can match the HS50 in any respect at this price level or probably even double this price.Wink

I want an image that I can upload to various forums and show to other wildlife enthusiasts and view on my lcd monitor . The HS50 does this perfectly .I certainly do not want to print any of my 1000's of images I take every year. What on earth do you do with all your mega sized prints?

There is nowhere that will host and let you view the 6.5MB images of this camera without professional subscription let alone full size 20Mp+ DSLR images

You are so rabidly anti compact cameras and yet you have not even bothered to read up and aquaint yourself with the specs of this amazing camera, how can anyone take your opinions seriously? .

Tell me... do you spend all evening pixel peeping your huge images at 100% and wonder what you are going to do with them ?

Personally I sell them so my relatively modest 1000GBP worth of DSLR kit has made me 2k pure profit!

I'm not rubbishing the HS50, so long as you are reducing your images from 16MP to 3MP then you are good to go, but you cannot argue that its IQ is anywhere near that of a DSLR.

I'm not anti compact/bridge cameras, in fact I advise lots of my friends to purchase one when they ask me what camera to buy, but horses for courses my kit that cost me a grand is capable of doing stuff that your 400GBP kit cannot even get close to and I do not consider myself remotely talented!

But I want it to do X and it does it, if you want to take a 16MP image and show it at 1080p then well done son you have a good camera to do that. Don't jump on your high horse and play the big man, your magic bridge camera can not compete with any DSLR with a modestly priced 300mm zoom lens and I would gladly go toe to toe in any image test you like to prove that!

ChrisV
ChrisV  7725 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 10:37 PM


Quote: Bridge cameras are for people who only selectively like big numbers

What a stupid comment.

Penis comes to mind Chris, little boys, big toys and all that Smile

If I ever wanted a none DSLR bridge with good reach, something like the Fuji X-S1 would do me.

I believe the latest bread of Fuji X`s use phase detect autofocus, as good as any dslr.

Ah well - there's one bread every minute. You won't get a rise out of me. I don't knead the aggro, so yeast said, soonest mended.

Last Modified By ChrisV at 21 Mar 2013 - 10:39 PM
weseeyou
weseeyou  3112 forum posts
21 Mar 2013 - 10:55 PM


Quote: There are 11 photos in this group, I took a look at the 1st four, the 1st 2 are only available at 1024X761, the third is available @2048X1761 and the 4th at 1600X1181... If you are looking at them on a monitor then they are acceptable but view the 3rd or 4th at full resolution as far as I am concerned they are fit for nothing other than the trash can!



!

the images that you are critisising so scathingly were all made ion the past 10 days with a new camera purchased on the 9th March which I am completely unfamiliar with. The weather during this period has been atrocious, overcast with snow, hail and gale force winds and appallingly light levels .
All the images are exactly as they have been taken with zero PP and all have been reduced to meet Flickr's image size restrictions. The majority of the images have been taken at full zoom ie 1036mm! for demonstration purposes so hardly a test of the cameras IQ capability is it.

Before you critisise someone elses pictures I suggest that you make your own images available for us to critique Wink

Last Modified By weseeyou at 21 Mar 2013 - 11:14 PM
ChrisV
ChrisV  7725 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 11:31 PM


Quote:

Before you critisise someone elses pictures I suggest that you make your own images available for us to critique Wink

Except of course there are a large number of his images on this site available simply by clicking his name.

I won't make any comment on their quality, other than to say my best advice to you is to make a speedy tactical withdrawal.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314903 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 11:36 PM


Quote: Ah well - there's one bread every minute. You won't get a rise out of me. I don't knead the aggro

Well don`t dish it then Smile

I like and do use compacts but most of these super zooms leave me cold apart from the odd exception, a 3 or 4x zoom is about the limit for me, matched with a good sensor and lens.

Sure they can deliver good results, but your going to have to put the extra work in to squeeze every little bit extra out to get the sort of results a fairly basic DSLR and lens can manage with ease and this will be in the better conditions.

llareggub
llareggub  3664 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Mar 2013 - 7:17 AM


Quote: There are 11 photos in this group, I took a look at the 1st four, the 1st 2 are only available at 1024X761, the third is available @2048X1761 and the 4th at 1600X1181... If you are looking at them on a monitor then they are acceptable but view the 3rd or 4th at full resolution as far as I am concerned they are fit for nothing other than the trash can!



!

the images that you are critisising so scathingly were all made ion the past 10 days with a new camera purchased on the 9th March which I am completely unfamiliar with. The weather during this period has been atrocious, overcast with snow, hail and gale force winds and appallingly light levels .
All the images are exactly as they have been taken with zero PP and all have been reduced to meet Flickr's image size restrictions. The majority of the images have been taken at full zoom ie 1036mm! for demonstration purposes so hardly a test of the cameras IQ capability is it.

Before you critisise someone elses pictures I suggest that you make your own images available for us to critique Wink

I am not offering critique on the pictures I am debunking the argument that this specific camera is capable of IQ that can compete with a DSLR, it is not personal slight at all, the pictures are well exposed and composed, however the IQ is poor. That is a result of the camera and not the photographer.

As for claiming that I have no images, as Chris says just click on my name, there are plenty here and hundreds if not thousands more on my website.

I strangely find myself in a similar position, I too received a new lens on Saturday and I offer a crop of an image taken with my Canon 50D and new to me Tamron 70-300 VC USD lens on Sunday cropped to an equivalent 1100mm focal length and the resized to fit in with EPZ rules of 800px on the longest edge.

img-9445.jpg

mikehit
mikehit  46148 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2013 - 9:15 AM


Quote:



try blowing a bridge camera up to 36"x24" Blush

sorry ... tell me again why would anyone actually want to do that ?


You asked why anyone wouold want to heft around a DSLR righwhenyou Fuji has a focal length of 1000mm - so I gave a clear example of why they would want a DSLR.




Quote:
Another key issue for wildlife is that shutter lag in bridge cameras is much longer so you are more likely to miss the shot
This silly comment really does show up your ignorance doesn't it. The Fuji HS50 has a .5second start up time ,0.5 second shutter speed and 0.5 second shot to shot speed (ie faster than you could press and release the shutter release button. Plus an 11fps rate at 16Mp
Always best to make sure of your facts when slagging something off Wink

Be careful throwing qround accusations of people making 'silly comments' and 'check your facts' because it seems you do not know what I mean by 'shutter lag'.
By the way, putting a smiley on the end of condescending comment does not make it any less condescending.

For the record, I think the HS50 is a very good camera of its type. But DSLRs do things that the Fuji is incapable of - they may not be things you need but they are there.

Last Modified By mikehit at 22 Mar 2013 - 9:16 AM
mikehit
mikehit  46148 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2013 - 9:18 AM


Quote: the images that you are critisising so scathingly were all made ion the past 10 days with a new camera purchased on the 9th March which I am completely unfamiliar with. The weather during this period has been atrocious, overcast with snow, hail and gale force winds and appallingly light levels .
All the images are exactly as they have been taken with zero PP and all have been reduced to meet Flickr's image size restrictions. The majority of the images have been taken at full zoom ie 1036mm! for demonstration purposes so hardly a test of the cameras IQ capability is it.

It was you who pointed to these pictures as an example of how wonderful this camera is but it seems we cannot rely on them after all. I would genuinely be interested in seeing some well-controlled pictures once you have had more experience with the camera

ChrisV
ChrisV  7725 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2013 - 10:19 AM


Quote: Ah well - there's one bread every minute. You won't get a rise out of me. I don't knead the aggro

Well don`t dish it then Smile

Whoosh - is it a bird, is it a plane? It might even be a submarine - it wasn't particularly subtle.

Back to the topic, I think we've established here that superzoom bridge cameras are OK[ish] downsampled for the sizes used on the internet. Even then the difference in quality between such an image and a heavy crop from a DSLR/decent glass combo is easily apparent.

For me personally the Bridge format is the worst of both worlds - not pocketable and hideously compromised in terms of IQ.

Having said that I carry around with me a Fuji 550 because it goes in a coat pocket and I can almost forget it's there. But the reason it is there and the only claim I'd make for it is that it allows me to capture images I would otherwise miss altogether.

weseeyou
weseeyou  3112 forum posts
22 Mar 2013 - 10:19 AM

where have I suggested that Compact images are equal to DSLR images ? ????Smile

You lot are banging on about image quality because you know that in the main you are on safe ground .

What you are all missing each and every one of you is the bigger picture .The convenience of a bridge camera. I would suspect that the vast majority of amateur photographers would prefer the convenience of using a Bridge camera for their versitility. You have admitted that you sell your images and are therefore classed as a professional so you cannot really compare your photographic requirements in a camera with the rest of us.

A bridge camera isn't about image quality ,although IQ of the best can certainly match any comparably priced DSLR .Bridge cameras were never designed to match DSLR's on IQ .

Its about all the important things that the DSLR cannot match the bridge camera in . Thats why bridge cameras as a concept were developed .

The image that you have supplied for comparison is an interesting choice.( We have to accept your word about the focal length and cropping etc being the equivalent to the 1036mm FL. of my images ) The image has clearly been PP'd which mine haven't and the reason the bottom half of your image has been cut is presumably to disguise the blown highlights ! We also have no exif data for comparison!.. your image may be capable of being blown up to poster size and printed however personally I would choose any of my images over that one for picture quality.

My last critism of your image choice for comparison is this . If you took the picture of the sparrow under the same conditions as mine (through double glazing in low light) at the same actual distance from the camera ( 14 feet) and then cropped it I reckon your IQ wouldn't be half as good as the image that you have shown

ChrisV
ChrisV  7725 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2013 - 10:25 AM

Staggering. Stupefying. Sane. Not.

llareggub
llareggub  3664 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Mar 2013 - 10:51 AM


Quote: Where have I suggested that Compact images are equal to DSLR images ? ????Smile

You lot are banging on about image quality because you know that in the main you are on safe ground .

What you are all missing each and every one of you is the bigger picture .The convenience of a bridge camera. I would suspect that the vast majority of amateur photographers would prefer the convenience of using a Bridge camera for their versitility. You have admitted that you sell your images and are therefore classed as a professional so you cannot really compare your photographic requirements in a camera with the rest of us.

A bridge camera isn't about image quality ,although IQ of the best can certainly match any comparably priced DSLR .Bridge cameras were never designed to match DSLR's on IQ .

Its about all the important things that the DSLR cannot match the bridge camera in . Thats why bridge cameras as a concept were developed .

The image that you have supplied for comparison is an interesting choice.( We have to accept your word about the focal length and cropping etc being the equivalent to the 1036mm FL. of my images ) The image has clearly been PP'd which mine haven't and the reason the bottom half of your image has been cut is presumably to disguise the blown highlights ! We also have no exif data for comparison!.. your image may be capable of being blown up to poster size and printed however personally I would choose any of my images over that one for picture quality.

My last critism of your image choice for comparison is this . If you took the picture of the sparrow under the same conditions as mine (through double glazing in low light) at the same actual distance from the camera ( 14 feet) and then cropped it I reckon your IQ wouldn't be half as good as the image that you have shown

You made a reference to your images in terms of their image quality and focusing here!

"If you are in any doubt about IQ image quality have at the images on this this Flickr group Fuji HS50 owners group", I simple commented that the image quality is poor and something that any DSLR would wipe the floor with. My image was cropped to 1280px which gives an identical field of view on my camera as you would get at 1100mm on a 35mm sensor!

The only PP I have done was to convert from RAW to JPEG with standard adjustments using ACR and then resized to fit with the uploading protocols of the site. The crop is positioned where it is as that is the focal point of the image as chosen by me, image was shot outdoors on a fairly naff day, there are no blown highlights anywhere in the image!

By uploading directly to the forum the site has stripped the EXIF data, I have subsequently uploaded to my port here for the avoidance of doubt and you can now see the EXIF data. With a little mathematical knowledge you can work out that my calculations are correct re the focal length!

Please feel free to to upload an image at a comparable size to confirm the discussion re-image quality, please bare in mind that your insane ramblings can be confirmed by going to your previous link and viewing any of your images at "full upload" size on Flickr and your argument quite frankly falls on soggy ground!

As I have gone to lengths to state I am not bashing Bridge cameras or your skills as a photographer, just purely and simply that bridge cameras are a jack of all trades and masters of none and when side by side comparisons are made with a DSLR the Bridge camera falls short.

"Its about all the important things that the DSLR cannot match the bridge camera in . Thats why bridge cameras as a concept were developed ."

The only things that bridge cameras offer that DSLR's do not are convenience and price, in every singe photographic area other than one, which I will be amused to see if you can work out, a DSLR camera is superior in every sense!

weseeyou
weseeyou  3112 forum posts
22 Mar 2013 - 10:52 AM


Quote: Staggering. Stupefying. Sane. Not.

and that is the sum of your vocabulary and intellect is it ?Smile

I enjoy a good discussion as much as the next person but generally one hopes to learn something in the process. The only thing that I have learnt in this thread is that there are many individuals on this forum with a closed mind .

This thread has reminded why for the past few years I have studiously avoided posting on this and the dpreview forums .

Bigots and trolls

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Enough Already