Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

If It Ain't Broke, Don't fix It!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
janeez
janeez e2 Member 51147 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jun 2010 - 12:18 AM

My sentiments to the latest changes to the Home Page. I really liked scrolling down the page to look at the latest pics and then the topics being discussed in the forums. Now I have to open them up in a new section. A message eventually directed me to this as I had no idea where it had gone! Please restore this to the original setting as it is the only place your members have the most input and we have been completely hidden. We are being sidelined by more important content, i;e Advertising!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jun 2010 - 12:18 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
25 Jun 2010 - 7:12 AM

Here here.
What's the point of making it more difficult to find what you're looking for?
Let's get it back to the way members like it.
Like Jane says (and a few others I would imagine!) if it ain't broke..................Sad

Last Modified By User_Removed at 25 Jun 2010 - 7:12 AM
User_Removed
25 Jun 2010 - 8:20 AM

have to say i agree with this. Something else i noticed. It says that if you select whatever tab, then the site will remember it for the remainder of your visit. Every time i click back to the front page, its gone back to the welcome tab. Much preferred the old way

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013936 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jun 2010 - 8:23 AM

Quote: now I have to open them up in a new section.

Sorry, don't understand what you mean by that. All you have to do is click on the tabs accross the top:
11-capture.jpg

or am I missing something ?

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jun 2010 - 8:38 AM

Quote: Every time i click back to the front page, its gone back to the welcome tab

Not what I see on mine.

Quote: Every time i click back to the front page, its gone back to the welcome tab

Yeap, it does.

Quote: I really liked scrolling down the page to look at the latest pics and then the topics being discussed in the forums

emmm......nothing stop you from doing that.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72236 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
25 Jun 2010 - 9:00 AM

Well, this shouldn't be happening. We have even tested it in many different browsers and it does remember which tab is selected. I click on a tab on the homepage, then I go and browse a few other pages on ePHOTozine. I then went back to the homepage to find that the tab I selected was still selected, thus making it easier for those who like to view recent activity on the homepage. I don't have to scroll down the homepage at all, its right there at the top.

This feature was built to make the more common parts of the homepage quicker to access. So no scrolling is required for Latest Photos and Recent Activity. This is based off statistics of what you guys use the most, not just what we want. Alot of the feedback we have had in the past is that people hate scrolling down pages to find what they need and many people believe the homepage was too busy and too much information, not easy to take in. So we kept that in mind when we built this. Nothing has been removed from the homepage, in fact, if anything, we have made it quicker for you to access your favourite parts of the homepage.

Now, if for whatever reason, you feel the tabbing isn't remembering what you have selected, could you please submit a report so we can capture some important information about your computer so we can see if maybe there is a particular browser we overlooked.

User_Removed
25 Jun 2010 - 9:05 AM

it seems to be working now, not sure why it was defaulting to the welcome tab before. Have tried it a few times now and it seems to stay on the forum tab

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72236 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
25 Jun 2010 - 9:09 AM

Quote: It seems to be working now, not sure why it was defaulting to the welcome tab before. Have tried it a few times now and it seems to stay on the forum tab

Great to hear that its working now. We did have a bug when we first launched it in older versions of firefox and camino browser, but that has been fixed now.

User_Removed
25 Jun 2010 - 9:12 AM

just out of interest David it is firefox i am using, but like i said i have tried it a few times now and it is working at the moment

MikeA
MikeA  91133 forum posts England
25 Jun 2010 - 9:15 AM

Click Item on forum activity page, click back button and straight back to the Home page, Firefox latest, I would expect it to go back to the forum activity page.
What was wrong with the old format.... retrograde step this IMO.

Last Modified By MikeA at 25 Jun 2010 - 9:17 AM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jun 2010 - 9:21 AM

Works fine on mine, but can I just ask (if we didn't have what appears to be a potential bug in some browser/computer sets ups) isn't it far easier to make one quick mouse click than use the scroll wheel to get to the place? We're certainly helping reduce your RSI risk if not just save you a few seconds each time you visit the home page.

davidburleson
25 Jun 2010 - 9:23 AM

Quote: Click Item on forum activity page, click back button and straight back to the Home page, Firefox latest, I would expect it to go back to the forum activity page.

Interesting, now with that I can replicate the issue. This is because when you press the 'back' button on any web browser, it remembers the 'state' of the page you selected when it loaded, not when you left it. You will see that is with any page on any site.

The way to get around that is instead of clicking the back button to go back to the homepage, click the logo or the home link.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 25 Jun 2010 - 9:25 AM
User_Removed
25 Jun 2010 - 9:55 AM

ah that is what was happening to me, then i started clicking the logo and as you said the status is remembered

davidburleson
25 Jun 2010 - 10:07 AM

I know us here on the web dev team are pretty quiet at times. I want to assure everyone, that here in the Web Dev team, we don't just sit around thinking of new things to put on the site. We spend the majority of our time listening to you, our members, providing help and using your suggestions to improve ePHOTOzine and provide the type of experience you want.

At the moment we are going through a log of user feedback and applying features/upgrades/fixes/changes and usability improvements to older sections of the site.

Unlike any other site on the web, your feedback allows you to have the power to mold ePHOTOzine into the photography site you have always dreamed of. We read the forums, reports, emails, we listen to everyone and take on board everything. So have alot of great plans for the future from what you guys have told us to make the site so much better than it currently is.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 25 Jun 2010 - 10:08 AM
AlanPerkins
25 Jun 2010 - 10:19 AM

Dissenting voice here - I like the new front page. It's cleaner than it was, and finding a particular section is much simpler than scrolling down the page.

It's horses for courses, I suppose...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.