Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

If money was no object - advice on what to get!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Xiaoli
Xiaoli  5661 forum posts South Africa14 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2010 - 11:59 AM

If money was absolutely no object in the equation and you wanted to totally splurge - the only criteria being that the camera HAS to be a Canon (so no Canon vs other brands debates PRETTY PLEASE with cherries on the top) and you wanted to seriously get into wildlife photography at one end of the scale and macro photography at the other - with a good all-round lens inbetween for 'snap' shots.

What would you get?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Feb 2010 - 11:59 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2010 - 12:02 PM

If you are starting from scratch with body + lenses why does it have to be one particular make?

Xiaoli
2 Feb 2010 - 12:07 PM

It has to do with a personal situation that necessitates that choice. So it is non-debatable.

Last Modified By Xiaoli at 2 Feb 2010 - 12:10 PM
Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2010 - 12:11 PM

Probably because canon are the only ones who make a proper macro lens Wink

Well I would say the following would be a good list:
7D and a 1DMIV with grips and such
300mm f2.8 IS L - primary walk around lens and very good with teleconverters whilst remaining handholdable
800mm L IS - because its darn long!
400/500/600mm lens option - really down to personal taste this one since there are many options all in varying weights and ranges
1.4 teleconverter
2* teleconverter

100mm f2.8 IS L macro lens or the 180mm if you prefer a longer working distance and increased background blur
MPE65mm macro - if you really want the king of macro lenses

Canon twinflash - very versatil macro lighting setup and essential for work with the MPE
580EX2 at least one if not more - most likly with remote setups by radio
Better Beamer flash addon - for help with birds and other far off subjects and using flash for light boosting

That would be the core - add to that a good landscape lens (I won't recomend one as I don't know them well enough) and maybe something mid and shorter range - eg;
70-200mm f2.8 IS L v2
24-105mm f4 IS L - a bit more reach is often wanted by wildlifers though the 24-70mm f2.8 L is also a good option

Edit - for simplicity I left out 3rd party options but some might like to consider the Sigma 150mm and 180mm macro lenses as alternatives to the canon 100mm and 180mm.

Last Modified By Overread at 2 Feb 2010 - 12:13 PM
Xiaoli
2 Feb 2010 - 12:31 PM

Quote: Probably because canon are the only ones who make a proper macro lens

LOL I have no idea - seriously it is a choice dictated by circumstances totally unrelated to a preference or opinion about which brand is best.

Didn't think of landscape lenses - but have been informed that that would be of interest as well!

JJGEE
JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2010 - 12:34 PM

Quote: seriously it is a choice dictated by circumstances totally unrelated to a preference or opinion about which brand is best.

Perhaps Xiaoli works for Canon ? Wink

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2010 - 12:35 PM

If money were no object I would pay for a camera to be developed to my own specific requirements, including hand size. Smile

Xiaoli
2 Feb 2010 - 12:38 PM

Quote: Quote:seriously it is a choice dictated by circumstances totally unrelated to a preference or opinion about which brand is best. Perhaps Xiaoli works for Canon ?

Close .... very close ....but not quite

Last Modified By Xiaoli at 2 Feb 2010 - 12:38 PM
Xiaoli
2 Feb 2010 - 12:39 PM

Quote: If money were no object I would pay for a camera to be developed to my own specific requirements, including hand size.

LOL ok ... can you do that?

JJGEE
JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2010 - 12:41 PM

Quote: LOL ok ... can you do that?

Probably not for people like us but NASA have down exactly that with Hasselblad in the past.

Overread
2 Feb 2010 - 12:41 PM

Also what about tripods, tripod heads, remote triggors, trail cameras, hides. If you get into insect work in a big way laser trips and sound trips are also very popular for inflight captures as well as waterdrop playing Wink

With the video DSLRs in mind as well one would also want a video tripod and a video based tripod head - far smoother and more stable (and heavy) than the camera setups but essential for smooth panning and tracking motions when using a video setup.

I would also want an infra red modified DSLR for night work - that with a couple of IR lamps would give great oppertunities for nighttime shooting without having to resort to flash and/or regular spotlamps which would be at best distracting and at worst scaring the subjects.

justin c
justin c  104510 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2010 - 12:43 PM

A Canon 1DS Mk III for macro.
A Canon 1D Mk 1V for action.
A Canon 7D for the 1.6X crop factor.

Nikon 14-24mm with adaptor
Canon 24-105mm L
Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L and the f4 version
Canon 300mm f2.8 L
Canon 500mm f4 L
Canon 800mm L
Canon 1.4X and 2X extenders
Canon 180mm Macro
Canon MPE-65

Overread
2 Feb 2010 - 12:43 PM

Xiaoli knows someone who works for canon than Wink

Quote: Quote:If money were no object I would pay for a camera to be developed to my own specific requirements, including hand size.LOL ok ... can you do that?

If you have enough money yes!
Heck if you had silly amounts you could probably buy canon itself Wink

edit - I forgot about the fullframe option - important not just for macro but also for the landscape works as well. 1.3 crop and 1.6 crop can do both but full frame opens up other options (more frame viewing in the macro area - though I hear 1.6 is better for capturing finer details with lenses like the MPE65mm)

Last Modified By Overread at 2 Feb 2010 - 12:45 PM
Xiaoli
2 Feb 2010 - 12:45 PM

Quote: Xiaoli knows someone who works for canon than

Quote:Quote:If money were no object I would pay for a camera to be developed to my own specific requirements, including hand size.LOL ok ... can you do that?If you have enough money yes!
Heck if you had silly amounts you could probably buy canon itself

LOL - I suppose ultimately everything COULD be for sale LOL but NO I have NO intention of buying Canon - just maybe some of their camera equipment LOL

justin c
justin c  104510 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2010 - 12:48 PM

Quote: just maybe some of their camera equipment LOL

With Canon's recent track record, just make sure it actually works first Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.