Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

If you had 200

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
27 Feb 2013 - 9:58 PM

Quote: Are these two camera`s suitable for a working fireman though Smile

Depends what he's going to do with it! Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Feb 2013 - 9:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bigalguitarpicker
27 Feb 2013 - 10:55 PM

I had a student colleague who was a fireman. He told me his cameras usually succumbed to steam.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41215 forum posts United Kingdom200 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2013 - 11:28 AM

I'd like to think that a 'working fireman' would be more concerned with the task at hand than taking pictures.

If its for taking pictures at work, the fire brigade should supply the camera. I would have thought it was for non-professional use!

TongueWink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2013 - 11:37 AM

I believe the fire service do sometimes video fires, especailly if they think arson might be involved.

last ten
last ten  10416 forum posts Isle Of Man
28 Feb 2013 - 1:04 PM

Thanks guys

Just a point of clarification, I am a firefighter, however the camera has absolutely nothing to do with work at all and it is for my own peronal use Smile

last ten
28 Feb 2013 - 1:11 PM

Quote: I'd like to think that a 'working fireman' would be more concerned with the task at hand than taking pictures.

If its for taking pictures at work, the fire brigade should supply the camera. I would have thought it was for non-professional use!

TongueWink

Sooty_1

Cameras are a very important part of firefighters tools, every fire that I go into I take a camera as well as extiguising media and Breating Apparatus.

The Thermal Image Cameras (TIC) that we use, can so easily pick up body heat and enable us to carry out our rescue function so much easier.

So there is your lesson Sooty_1 on being a Firefighter for a day and a reminder that cameras play a huge roll in the Fire and Rescue Service and Fire Investigation too.

Peter

bigalguitarpicker
28 Feb 2013 - 11:35 PM

Quote: I'd like to think that a 'working fireman' would be more concerned with the task at hand than taking pictures.

TongueWink

Jesus Sooty, everybody takes a break! If ye can't skive for a couple minutes in a towering inferno, where can ye??

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41215 forum posts United Kingdom200 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2013 - 12:05 AM

Quote: Cameras are a very important part of firefighters tools, every fire that I go into I take a camera as well as extiguising media and Breating Apparatus.

The Thermal Image Cameras (TIC) that we use, can so easily pick up body heat and enable us to carry out our rescue function so much easier.

So there is your lesson Sooty_1 on being a Firefighter for a day and a reminder that cameras play a huge roll in the Fire and Rescue Service and Fire Investigation too.

Well, in my defence.....

I am perfectly well aware of what firefighters do and dont do, and should and shouldnt do. Someone I know very well is a high ranking firefighter, having been through the ranks for 35 years, and was quite interested in what you said. He is well aware that some firefighters take cameras into situations (though you're not supposed to, nor to take photos that aren't official) and is also aware that many take pictures on their phones. However, he thinks firefighters should be concentrating on other things..ie firefighting, safety, rescue and preservation of evidence, rather than being distracted by taking photos (paraphrased, but essentially his words). I'm well aware of the use of imaging in investigation and documenting procedures.
You don't mention being part of the Fire Investigation Service, and thermal imaging is completely different. It's not what you were talking about when you asked about pocketable compacts for 200.

I was under the impression from your early posts that you wanted a camera for general use, not to take gash photos at a fire scene,

Nick

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315605 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2013 - 12:11 AM

I think your being a bit over the top sooty, I`m sure Peter has no interest at all in pulling a camera out when he`s on a shout, he will have other things on his mind Smile

However there`s a whole lot more to being a firefighter than just dealing with emergencies.

Carabosse
1 Mar 2013 - 12:36 AM

Doesn't take long for a thread to turn 'controversial' on here does it? Grin

Anyway, I still think the OP might want to look into the Sony TX55. It is actually smaller in length and width, about the same depth and lighter than a smartphone. Just the thing for carrying in your shirt pocket when running up and down those ladders. Wink

I've been pleased with the quality of the 16Mp output.

779HOB
779HOB  21024 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Mar 2013 - 7:17 AM

I've got one of these : it was a lot more when I bought one and 74 seems like a good deal to me.

last ten
1 Mar 2013 - 10:06 AM

Sooty lighten up please and take a chill pill, I have been in the job for 29 years and know what is right and wrong Grin

Back on the photography track, thanks guys for all your ideas on a camera that I can take to work and even use as I am walking to the fire station Smile

Peter

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315605 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2013 - 2:47 PM

A little more expensive, but the same sensor and quality of the x10 and in a much smaller package.

Its amongst EPZ top ten compact camera`s of 2012 along with the x10.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-10-best-serious-compact-digital-cameras-16...
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-fuji-xf1-tan-digital-camera/p1532902

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 1 Mar 2013 - 2:49 PM
Sooty_1
1 Mar 2013 - 8:50 PM

Quote: A little more expensive, but the same sensor and quality of the x10 and in a much smaller package.

Its amongst EPZ top ten compact camera`s of 2012 along with the x10.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-10-best-serious-compact-digital-cameras-16...
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-fuji-xf1-tan-digital-camera/p1532902

But on Wex's site it's 100 more than the OP wanted to spend?

Paul Morgan
2 Mar 2013 - 1:44 AM

Yes 30% dearer, would be worth checking out some of the second hand deals.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.