Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

If you were to "go professional" what would you shoot?

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
11 Aug 2014 3:52PM
This may be interesting...

SO you get enough cash to fund you for a year, maybe you get a redundancy payment, say...

It's your 1 and only chance to try to make a living from Photography

What would you do - in an ideal world where it's bound to work? Whatever you shoot sells and you live well....

and

What would you do - in the real world... where you have to find your own clients and niche to make it work

What would you do?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
11 Aug 2014 4:19PM

Quote:If you were to "go professional" what would you shoot?

The competition Wink

(Sorry Ade - I couldn't resist)
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
11 Aug 2014 4:23PM
touche Wink
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
11 Aug 2014 4:29PM
Documentaries about all aspects of London Life for prestigious magazines and to illustrate books.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
11 Aug 2014 4:32PM
yeah - that'd be cool - who would you start with? the rich, the poor?
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
11 Aug 2014 4:37PM

Quote:Yeah - that'd be cool - who would you start with? the rich, the poor?

Simultaneous, to show the contrasts, differences, but at the end of the day, the similarities. People are still humans despite everything.

(sorry for the hijack, Jeff)
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
11 Aug 2014 4:42PM
Would depend on the project but I prefer everyday folks. It's OK documenting the poor as long as they're OK with it too, otherwise it's a bit intrusive and patronising. And snapping people that live on the streets can be a bit too easy. I'm not comfortable with doing that just for the sake of it. But poor happy folks is fine. Smile

Not keen on rich folks - I might have to buy a frock to get access! Can't see that happening. We can't all be david baileys and turn up in our ripped jeans, unfortunately. Grin
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
11 Aug 2014 4:44PM

Quote:Simultaneous, to show the contrasts, differences, but at the end of the day, the similarities. People are still humans despite everything.
Very worthy. Grin
TanyaH e2
11 687 79 United Kingdom
11 Aug 2014 4:52PM
Jeez Ade - you don't ask easy questions, do you !? Grin

In an ideal world, I'd create photographic art that lifts people's spirits, gets hung on people's walls because it takes them away from the sh!t of life, and lets them believe in magic, even if it's just for the time they're looking at it.

In the real world, I'd stuff the money in the bank to earn interest and get something else that will pay the bills. Arty farty don't necessarily cut the mustard in the cut-throat world of making a living from photography Grin
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
11 Aug 2014 4:53PM
so how would you start... would this be a "fly on the wall" thing, or would you find willing subjects to "shadow"?

how would you find the right people - maybe look on Twitter?

would it be a "day in the life" kinda thing - or something longer, maybe a few shoots over a year ?
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
11 Aug 2014 5:01PM
You talking to me or Tanya?

If it's me, I'm thinking more of things like the Museum of London rings up because some archaeologists have just found some ancient buried bodies or treasure. I could do an article on the dig, the people, the artefacts, the history etc. Could be a magazine article or something for a book or the museum.

Or follow someone around as they go about their daily business or work.
Or find quirky corners of the City to illustrate an article.

Just general stuff.
TanyaH e2
11 687 79 United Kingdom
11 Aug 2014 5:07PM

Quote:You talking to me or Tanya?

Drat ... I'd just typed out a really witty reply about forests not having Twitter accounts, then didn't post it 'cos I thought he was talking to you! Grin

I think if I did people, I'd want to find the 'alternatives' in society, who have stories that maybe never get told because they're below the radar of the 'norm'. I sometimes want to go and speak to people who live on the streets, to find out what happened, and why they've arrived at the point in life that they have. Everyone has a story, and some are incredibly sad.

Knowing my luck, though, I'd probably get thumped and told (none too politely) to go forth and multiply ... Sad
Paul_Anthony e2
2 387 4 Wales
11 Aug 2014 5:16PM
Fund an education, use the BA / MA to go into an area of photography that doesn't involve weddings, portraits, commercial photography, gallery Sales, pretty much avoid selling my images in a highly over populated area of photography.

Perhaps clinical photography or teaching photography...
11 Aug 2014 5:34PM
Paul,

There are NO areas of photography that are not already over-populated, especially teaching photography...
TanyaH e2
11 687 79 United Kingdom
11 Aug 2014 5:37PM
One of my biggest regrets in life is that, when I was at school, there wasn't Photography offered as a curriculum subject. I think that if there had been, I would definitely have taken it as a subject and probably gone on to university or further education in that field. Who knows where I would have ended up?!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.