Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Im so sorry

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Kali
Kali  875 forum posts
16 Mar 2006 - 12:56 AM

I posted my rape/murder image and was pretty horrified by the feedback.I choose a image that did not look as lifelike as some of them. actually it makes me sick to look at now.My whole theme for this brief is based around shocking and very challenging issues. I have to hand it in in a couple of days.Im thinking if this portfolio was handed in by a middleaged man rather than a young woman id be thrown off the course. I feel really depressed at myself. Just dont know why my head is full of dark stuff lately. I just get bored of looking at the same old stuff.I know you can push the borders carefully and tastefully....but i dont want to be tasteful sometimes.Oh I dont know. The idea that someone could use the image for gratification literally(really literally) has made me sick.
I feel terrible for having upset you all and offer my heartfelt apologies.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Mar 2006 - 12:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2006 - 1:02 AM

Laura you dont need to apologise, I'm sorry you felt the need to delete it. Yes it was graphic, yes it was shocking. It wasnt art, and it probably wasnt a good depiction of rape but its a photographic site and I would have thought that you could get advice on how to depict this subject more realistically. It shouldnt be swept under the carpet and not discussed and it can be done sensibly, and without condemnation.

ljesmith
ljesmith  91092 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Mar 2006 - 1:03 AM

Don't apologise for it, I think you need to find a way to express yourself as we all do, and eventually you will get it right, there have been plenty of photographers who have pushed the boundaries of taste, take a look at Robert Mapplethorpe or Weegee.

sillyconguru
16 Mar 2006 - 1:05 AM

Quote: It wasnt art...

How wasn't it?

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2006 - 1:07 AM

Quote: How wasn't it?

Do you think it was?

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2006 - 1:10 AM

We never know what we can/can't/shouldn't/ do until we push ourselves...the idea that it wasn't art (yes, I did see it) is wrong, as art is sometimes art for the fact that it challenges and attempts to develop new boundaries. Unfortunately, and you won't perhaps know this at your age, but the internet is full of that type of image, but that doesn't stop it being art in your eyes.

I think the image would have worked on the same level with out the blood, but as for gratification...well to be fair there are people who can find that in a Next Catalogue...I wouldn't worry myself on that score.

Define art, Ken.
Wink

sillyconguru
16 Mar 2006 - 1:12 AM

K - Don't beat around the bush, explain yourself. Why don't you think the image was art?

wolf666
wolf666  8497 forum posts England
16 Mar 2006 - 1:16 AM

Kali please don't apologies and don't stop doing what you want to do if it upsets someone that is their problem not yours. The people who put up these comments should be the ones apologising to you for being narrow-minded philestines. Please put the image back up if you have deleted it I would like to see it as I really like your work. Dark thoughts as well as light-hearted ones are what make us human any fool can take a picture of a pretty flower or a bird fluttering by it takes guts to challange peoples perceptions and thak heaven for people who do.

Kali
Kali  875 forum posts
16 Mar 2006 - 1:16 AM

could somebody give me a concise definition of art please?

sillyconguru
16 Mar 2006 - 1:18 AM

Art: The products of human creativity

gemeit
gemeit  978 forum posts Scotland
16 Mar 2006 - 1:19 AM

ART: The expression of creativity or imagination, or both

takui neko
takui neko  10849 forum posts Spain11 Constructive Critique Points

Indeed, what is a "good" depiction of rape? It takes courage just to spend time imagining it, most people dont even dare to go there. Just to try seriously shows a great deal of interest on humanity, there is never shame on that.
By digging into the depths of soul one can find the archetypes of it and so bring to the ouside what its hidden in the depths of any human soul, that is creative by itself and so also "artistic".

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points

The creation of beautiful or significant things
and the Product of Human Creativity.
edit:like what silly just said

vambo
vambo  8151 forum posts United Kingdom

A concise (but not very constraining) definition a good friend of mine uses:
Art - an activity or artifact derived from an activity which is not strictly required for survival.

Kali
Kali  875 forum posts
16 Mar 2006 - 1:21 AM

Also I deleted cos I see it wasnt very well done. I have other shots in the series that are more convincing(IMO) but consequently more horrific.I put this one up to test the water .This just isnt the place for them I gues.s.Maybe they have no place but the garbage.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.