Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

IMac 27 incher

widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
2 Jun 2014 8:23PM
My wife is about to buy the Imac 27 inch computer. It is meant to be a great machine so iam well chuffed. A few questions though. What is aperture like as opposed to lightroom v4. Will my Nik software bundle i bought last year work on the mac or will i have to buy mac software.... i would really miss silver fx if it want compatible.

Rod

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

alansnap e2
10 529 22 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2014 8:36PM
I use Aperture on my Macs and I find it OK, but I would stick with Lightroom, though you may have to upgrade to the Mac version. I suspect you'll have to change versions for Nik, though they may let you download on your current licence.
Enjoy the Mac, you'll never go back to Windows
Alan
2 Jun 2014 8:48PM
I also bought a 27" iMac and have been very pleased with it. I use ViewNX instead of iPhoto, as it seems to have more controls (plus I know how it works!). I looked into Aperture (sorry) but decided that ViewNX was ok for me. All you need to do is check to see whether your Nik s/w is available for the Mac. If so, it's likely you already have a Mac version as well as Windows.
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2014 9:21PM
Good news you can use LR 4 on Mac. If you have an install disc it should work fine.
widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
2 Jun 2014 10:20PM
Thanks boys . The Nik software was a download when google took it over so iam not so sure.

Rod
rogerfry e2
9 509 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2014 10:50PM
I use a 27" Mac with Aperture and would happily recommend it. Also, if you have any problems with loading NIK, Google are very helpful, and will send you a download link.
widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
2 Jun 2014 11:03PM
Cheers Roger thats helpfull GrinGrin

Rod
3 Jun 2014 9:48AM
Rod just download the nik software again for mac and use the product keys you have will work fine. Forget all apple software ie iphoto it sucks. Stick with lightroom or photoshop.
seahawk e2
7 582 United Kingdom
3 Jun 2014 10:16AM
I'm a Mac user ever since they appeared and love them and (most) of the software. However I much prefer Lightroom over Aperture and I never bother with iPhoto. Nik software should work fine if you d/l Mac versions on your existing license. You can d/l the Mac version of LR from Adobe on your existing license; I did it the other way because we have a PC laptop in the house and there was no problem. The Mac version also seems to be less trouble-prone than the PC version, judging by the forums.

Have fun, you'll never go back to Windows.
3 Jun 2014 11:00AM
I have also switched to a 27" Mac from a PC and I am loving it. I use Lightroom as its what I'm used to. If you have the MAC disk you could try installing it and using the same product key. I know the disk I have for LR5 is for both Mac and Windows
SosFM 5 81 1 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2014 2:27PM
I am making the switch to iMac, work gave me a laptop with Windows 8 on and that was what made me convert, its nasty!. My new Mac is delivered on Monday and will be installing Lightroom 5 onto it. Can't wait.Grin
I've just made the move from mac back to Windows (in retrospect, buying a Mac 5 years ago was a big mistake) and am generally happy about W8 so far. My experience of Apple hardware hasn't been great, but the thing that stopped me buying another Macbook was a block on user upgrades and that I could buy a Dell XPS 15 for 1000 with equivalent spec to a macbook for 1500. But just remember that they are all PCs underneath these days, and when processing images it doesn't make any difference who supplied the hardware or operating system if it runs the software you want.

Most important thing with your iMac will be to get the screen calibrated, or you'll just be guessing when processing images. I'd definitely suggests moving lightroom 4 across, rather than buying aperture - you can use your DVD and registration code for the software, and your Nik plugins should work too.

Hope you enjoy it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.