Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Image Discussion Week Ending 28th June 2009

Terry L e2
11 580 5 England
22 Jun 2009 11:33AM
A new week is here..let's hope it's a good one.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

clintnewsham e2
10 108 1 England
24 Jun 2009 12:22AM
Well its been an interesting start to the week and lots going on in the gallery.
With reguard to one of the recent topics about awards etc that has come up ,
i wonder why people worry about awaeds?
If they beleive their pictures are good why are they not submitting them to magazines etc.
is it not worth that little bit extra work to make a sale than to quibble about awards ?
Myself and my wife have photo exhbitions booked up all this year in essex wildlfe trust centres, garden centres and art exhibition centres.
We have sold a few and are quite happy.

at the end of the day, get out there, market your pictures and sell them.

ramble over lol
chase e2
9 1.1k 242 England
25 Jun 2009 6:55PM
I'm a little concerned that this has a PA.I see halos all over the place,an horizon slightly off & the colours look a little over-worked to me.....anyone else see it, or are they things that can be overlooked ?
csurry 12 9.2k 92
25 Jun 2009 7:11PM
Janet, need a link, but I think I can guess which one as as I was sent emails this afternoon about a PA asking if the team needed an eye check or all lived on Mars?
csurry 12 9.2k 92
25 Jun 2009 7:13PM
And now I'm not at work and can look without needing one of the emailers to send me a copy of it I see it is the only PA.

A "little" over-saturated for my tastes Sad But I wonder the value of discussing images that are already awarded, not like it can be removed - unless it was a windup by Pete and he loaded the pic under another identity
chase e2
9 1.1k 242 England
25 Jun 2009 7:18PM
Sorry...I do forget to do the linky thing... here it is
I tend to agree Cheryl,after the act is not something I would normally do TBH but I needed to know if it's just me/my monitor ( had a few problems with it of late Sad ) & it concerns me that others are seeing something I'm missing or indeed I'm not seeing something I should.
csurry 12 9.2k 92
25 Jun 2009 7:36PM
Well lots of people seem to like it, for me there are too many halos, it looks over-processed and over-saturated.

So I wouldn't necessarily say that it was your monitor.
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2009 8:04PM
I was going to mention it yesterday when I saw it in pending but thought it wouldnt get through, got that one wrong ;-0 Its an HDR that hasnt been done very well, layers are out of line hence the halo effect I suspect, personally I dont even think it should have an RC.
Eviscera e2
8 1.1k 149 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2009 8:19PM
The poster is a good mate of mine, and ive been trying to help with his base to hdr blending.

But i didnt nom (or in this case vote) because of the rock edges.

Im happy to give a personal vote and to overlook minor tec issues when an image simply "is" but for P.A , mmm.

Now if that isnt self-restraint , i dont know what is !

Perhaps images that are about to get the ultimate accolade should be linkyd to this room , wether its because the tally sytem has given it enough team noms or Pete wants a final opinion.

Cheryl , what were your responses to the pms ?
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
25 Jun 2009 8:57PM
Hmmm that landscape's not a great shot. The action's good but it's suffering badly from over-processing (halos, over saturated etc... and that horizon's a fair bit off) reminds me of the old days when you'd walk into someone's house and the TV was badly tuned. Not happy about a PA on that, but six people have nominated it ...and that's what the new system is supposed to do.
chase e2
9 1.1k 242 England
25 Jun 2009 9:10PM
I had the same thought as K yesterday when I spotted it but hey ho,the deed is done now Sad
Dave,did you tell him about the halos?...I don't think now is quite the right time to put any comment on the image...Cole has already been there with that... but I think he does need to know.
I think this is perhaps one of the cases where a plus & minus system could have worked,maybe that's something that should be considered with a bit more depth.
conrad 10 10.9k 116
25 Jun 2009 9:15PM

Quote:I think this is perhaps one of the cases where a plus & minus system could have worked,maybe that's something that should be considered with a bit more depth.

I'll second that. I find these occurrences, how rare they may be, somewhat embarassing. Can't say that I spot every flaw, but still...
csurry 12 9.2k 92
25 Jun 2009 9:29PM
They weren't PMs they were emails, so off site. And I think that was a deliberate choice by those questioning the award as some now feel/believe that they can not discuss this in the forums.

I had not seen it and at the time could not for some reason access the site, think my virus checker got a little ahead of itself, so a couple of them sent me it as a jpeg because they felt that strongly.

It's a committee and enough people voted at the highest level that can happen and just because team members can be seen as having voted did not mean that they nominated it for an award as I have voted for quite a few images that went on to get an award but did not myself vote for it.

I did wonder myself if your mate had visited Mars though cos they certainly weren't colours I had seen on this earth, but then I don't get out much with my new job/work hours.

And at the end of the day it's not the posters fault if people like an image, I know that better than most as the recipient of quite a bit of anti-EC emails in the past so I would not now comment in the negative on the image.

Even if there was some indication that an image was about to get an award there is no mechanism to prevent images where a number of the team feel strongly in the negative from gaining that extra nomination so what would it achieve.

There's a rather good red squirrel that is so deserving Wink Now that would get a few more members talking.

So no I don't know what the answer is to this, and presumably those that did vote don't see a problem.
Eviscera e2
8 1.1k 149 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2009 9:58PM
Janet , i didnt have to tell him about the halos , their like saturns rings , and since then hes constructively critted Coles and Pauls comments.

If he wanted crit from me on the image , he would have asked for it.

Cheryl , beware confidentiality pm or otherwise.

And the "mechanism" is open to change , If it gets six p.a noms it comes here. Simple.

The nommers can simply ignore and leave the vote or retract in view of the other PAT members , regardless of their level.

Should encourage a few more of us lot to join in Smile
csurry 12 9.2k 92
25 Jun 2009 10:03PM
See K and Janet ignored it and yet I got grief for highlighting one that was still only on the shortlist Wink

When is too early to highlight?

Right I really am going offline now and probably won't check back until Saturday when I need to critique the macro challenge. In lots of long meetings for the next couple of weeks, so probably won't be around too much as I'll be recovering!!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.