Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Image quality, prosumer vs. SLR vs. 35mm.

mitchellhatpeg 11 205 1
23 Aug 2003 11:04AM
I've always been a bit of a nut about image quality and I've recently been trying to decide whether a prosumer digital camera or a digital SLR would meet my needs. Up until now I've scanned my 35mm films using a film scanner. I've just printed off sample images from the Sony F717 and Canon 10D, the full size jpegs available at dpreview.com. I used my Epson Stylus 870 and Epson premium photoglossy at max quality settings. The prints are 27cm high (centred on A4 paper)

The quality is quite superb, the 717 is better than any of my scanned images with less noise and great sharpness (I sharpened it by 50% in photoshop) so the image quality will certainly be good enough for me and is a match for any photographic print I have seen from a 35mm camera. However, the Canon image is just amazing! It is so sharp and noise free (I sharpened it by 100% in PS). I have never seen a print from a 35mm film camera that could match it! I simply must have one!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ZenTog 12 7.9k 1 England
23 Aug 2003 12:17PM
i waited and waited for the next DSLr to come out finally bought a used d60 week later they brought out the new one(eos10d) ,but i have had some much fun using the D60 and the pictures are really great printed up to full a3 and above with no noise and virtually no pixcels / grain showing compared to scanning and printing where grain becomes very apparent.even die hard sceptics are changing their minds when viewing the prints at the size and qualityh they are, the only draw back is the amount of ink carts I am going through to get such big prints!!!!
i would encourage anybody to go for the digital SLR if money can afford it.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
23 Aug 2003 12:26PM
I printed A4 sized pics from my Minolta S404 (4 Mp).

Result? I sold my 35mm SLR Canon EOS !! Smile

Paul is right about ink cartridges. That is where the big expense comes in. I have most of my printing done professionally now - it's cheaper!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.