Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Image quality for a website ?

dalowsons 10 89 Australia
18 Oct 2004 9:05PM
Hello all,

I would like your opinions on a website query. I have created my own basic website in FrontPage, at the moment more for viewing by family and friends than anything else, but I am not sure what quality to make the pics ??

I have thumbnails as links, which I have saved as full quality JPEG's at 300dpi, just small, and these then link to larger pics, also full quality and 300dpi.

I am worried that even on broadband this is not practical, and I should attempt to reduce the file size of each pic - but I don't want to lose too much quality. Would reducing the quality to say 72dpi help with this, and should I "save for web" as well ?

I would appreciate comments from anyone who knows about web pages, or has done this themselves, as I don't know what to aim for at the moment.

If you would like to have a look at my site (I have just made some changes and I know of at least a few errors at the moment, so bear with me !) it's at:

Dalowsons Photography

Thanks in advance for any advice !

AL

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
18 Oct 2004 9:13PM
72dpi is perfect (some use 90, I believe)for web use. All my photos I upload to my site are all 10" on the longest side, and 72dpi.Even with broadband, I won't be looking at your site with shots at 300dpi! Wink

Frank
ellis rowell 10 2.0k United Kingdom
18 Oct 2004 9:17PM
Hello Al, welcome.

Most people use album facilities included with various software. I have been exprimenting recently with .pdf files and find that the memory overhead is not as great as with albums. Photo's can be saved as smaller .jpg's then loaded into a word processor (which has a .pdf saving facility) document, in a table giving two pictures wide and three high on an A4 or letter sized page. The software I use is Star Office v7 by Sun Microsystems. If you want see an example go to my website and follow the menu's.
Ellis.
18 Oct 2004 9:19PM
Mmm, that's what I thought ! Smile Thanks, Frank. Also, do you "save for web" or just reduce the DPI and then save normally ?

Al
18 Oct 2004 9:20PM
Thanks, Ellis - I will go and have a look !

Al
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
18 Oct 2004 9:22PM
Depends really Al. In some photographic groups that like the exif info included, you need to ""save as", but for normal web use I save as "save for web".
A shot here saved as "save for web" at 72dpi.
www.omeyas.f2s.com/30199562.CRW_8807rev2.jpg

Frank
akh e2
10 1.1k 5 United Kingdom
18 Oct 2004 9:28PM
Tried your web site could not get access told to try again in an hour. I would suggest if you want people to see your pictures you move it from Yahoo.
Tony
18 Oct 2004 9:29PM
Excellent Frank, that just solved my problem and answered my question. The quality of that shot was fantastic (great shot, too, by the way ! Wink and it was really quick to download.

I'm going to have a busy evening tonight (it's 10:30am here in NZ) redoing my whole website. Thanks so much for your help !!!

Al
18 Oct 2004 9:31PM
Yes, thanks Tony - I've just realised that problem Sad

I have never really had enough traffic at one time to be a problem, but I think I will have to look into getting a "real" site now.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and help - it's nice to know what to aim for.

Al
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
18 Oct 2004 9:42PM
That's one of the main criteria Al, speed! People won't hang around waiting for large downloads, especially on a 56k connection! Another added bounus for you is, a large file at 300dpi is so easily stolen and someone can get a good print from that, but whilst they can steal a shot at 72dpi just as easily, they cannot get a decent print out of it. My upload there is just over 100kb, but normally I keep them to 75kb.
This one is 65kb, www.omeyas.f2s.com/25068024.02226_RT8.jpg

Frank
ellis rowell 10 2.0k United Kingdom
18 Oct 2004 10:47PM
Frank,
Thats one advantage of the .pdf file, they cannot steal your photo, all they get is a set of six on an A4 page. Not much good if you want to do anything with it.
Ellis
19 Oct 2004 3:08AM
Thanks to both of you, Frank and Ellis for taking the time to advise me. I have looked into the pdf option, Ellis, but I think for my current purposes I will just go with lowering the dpi of my pics and saving them for the web and I'll see how that goes.

Thanks again - I am all fired up now to go home and fix up my site ! Smile

Al
mlewis 10 1.5k United Kingdom
19 Oct 2004 9:04AM
When saving pictures for a website the dpi of the image does NOT matter one little bit. Dpi is only useful for printing. For displaying images on a screen what matters is the pixel dimensions of an image - for example 800x600.

When I save photos for use on my own website I resize them to make the longest side 800 pixels, and PS works out the other length, usually. I then save the using the save them as jpeg using web feature as you can preview how the compression level affects the image quality and gives you how big the filesize will be. I find that this image size gives a good picture on screen and is small enough to not give decent size prints.

For websites you should try and keep the file size as low as possible whilst having a to high a compression level giving lots of artifacts..

If you are uploading to some websites such as ephotozine you will have resize and compress to suit their rules.

Meredith
sophiehw 11 382
19 Oct 2004 9:45AM
I'd like to second Meredith's comment.

For displaying a picture on the screen, DPI is absolutely irrelevant. It has no effect on file size, and therefore no effect on download time.

The only things that affect appearance and download time are:

1) the number of pixels (width and height)
2) the amount of JPEG compression (which can be adjusted when you Save or Save-for-web

The only time DPI matters it when you print the image, and most printing software allows you to change the image size at print time anyway.
19 Oct 2004 5:15PM
Fascinating, thank you ! I always thought it did matter, but I've just tried saving a couple of shots with different DPI and you are both quite correct (of course, lol).

I will have to think a bit further on this ! Smile

Thanks for the advice,

Al

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.