Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Image Stabiliser

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Mike_Smith
    25 Mar 2011 - 8:13 PM

Im not happy with the sharpness of my shots, im wondering if my image stabiliser is working or not might seem daft question but how can i check if its working or not Thankyou

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Mar 2011 - 8:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RogBrown
    RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Mar 2011 - 8:23 PM

It would help to know what equipment you're using.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Mar 2011 - 8:25 PM

And subject but it looks like birds Smile

So are you using a tripod or hand holding, if using a tripod switch the IS off.

Mike_Smith
    25 Mar 2011 - 8:25 PM

my camera is a canon 400D and the lens in question is a Sigma 120 - 400 sorry i should have put that in above

Mike_Smith
    25 Mar 2011 - 8:27 PM

Yes i use a good Tripod and i turn IS off when its on the tripod

User_Removed
    25 Mar 2011 - 8:32 PM

Typically, what shutter speed are you selecting for this lens at maximum focal length?

Mike_Smith
    25 Mar 2011 - 9:07 PM

I dont always use it at full focal length but typically around 200. Also regardless of me not been happy with sharpness how do you know if the IS is working if i do try it handheld

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Mar 2011 - 9:32 PM

Quote: how do you know if the IS is working if i do try it handheld

As you half press the shutter release, At the same time as the camera locks focus, You should see the image become stable......!!!

Because if you can hand hold a lens at 200mm and above without any movement at all, Without IS.....Your a very lucky person, Or built like " Arnie ".....Grin

Even on a good solid tripod you have to be very careful not to get slight movement, Try using faster shutter speeds, 1/300s or 1/400s Minimum on tripod with no IS, Or use a cable release.

Or get a shorter lens and move closer to the subject....Wink

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 95934 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Mar 2011 - 9:48 PM

Quote: Or use a cable release.

Seconded

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Mar 2011 - 9:50 PM

What has that got to do with the IS?

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82346 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Mar 2011 - 10:00 PM

I found that in general use I needed shorten the shutter speed when hand holding my 100-400. I simply couldn't get sharp results at the kind of shutter speeds I thought possible with the IS engaged - it was as if the IS gave me a false sense of security. Furthermore when using such a lens on a tripod I found that engaging mirror lock up allowed me to get the best of the lens a longer shutter speeds.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Mar 2011 - 11:45 PM

Quote: Realistically you can only gain a stop or two

That very much depends on the person holding the camera.

jimthistle73
    26 Mar 2011 - 12:17 AM

The Nikon 70-200 VR gives me a far greater hit rate than my old 80-200 (non VR). I still tend to stick to the old 'shutter speed the same as the focal length' rule but it does give lattitude.

As a test, why not try shooting five shots at a (relatively) slow shutter speed using the IS, followed by five shots without it and compare the results?

Mike_Smith
    26 Mar 2011 - 4:13 PM

Thanks everyone for all your replies i appreciate it

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.