Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Image stabilizer's

LisaRose 8 172 4 United States
20 Jan 2007 12:14AM
I just recently purchased a canon (70-300mm)telephoto lens with an image stabilizer. My pictures are coming out soft and often blurry. I thought that the point of having a stabilizer was so you wouldn't have to use a tripod, but the camera could be hand held. Maybe I am wrong...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andytvcams 12 10.4k United Kingdom
20 Jan 2007 12:17AM
Have you got it switched on!
jellylegs 10 59 Ireland
20 Jan 2007 12:33AM
Andy! Be nice.

Lisa. I know on the 100-400 there are 2 IS modes....
1 - for subjects that aren't moving
2 - for panning with a moving subject
.....might be the same.

IS will give you a few extra stops, but if your shooting wildlife in shade or something, then ISO will have to be bumped up also to shorten shutter speeds.

Also depends on your AF system....might be in AI Servo & be loosing your subject......

Just guesing here. Hope you get some help out of this.

Trevor.
croberts 10 2.2k 8 Ireland
20 Jan 2007 12:35AM
dont forget, there really is no substitute for a tripod if you need one. IS at best gives you about 3 stops advantage.

ie. if you have a 300mm lens, then remember the 1/focal length "rule"

so........ 1/350, minus 3 stops = 1/45 sec or there abouts. less than that, and its likely to be shakey.
bmh1 e2
8 571 1 United Kingdom
20 Jan 2007 12:37AM
The IS reduces the effect of camera shake by 2 (older lenses) or 3 stops (latest models), so for the long end of the lens being an equivalent of 480mm (300*1.6), without IS you would need a shutter speed of 1/480s or faster, with IS you should be able to go down to 1/120s or 1/60s, at the short end you might be able to go down to 1/30s or 1/15s.

Of course these are only a guidline, it depends on how steady you are (windy day, stable ground, good stance, caffeine intake etc. could all affect this).

Bernard

EDIT: *Three* overlaping answers, and I'm the slowest typing ...
LisaRose 8 172 4 United States
20 Jan 2007 2:29AM
Thank you..lots of good information. I still have so much to learn! Smile

Lisa

P.S. Yes, I did have it switched on...sheesh Andy. Smile
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
20 Jan 2007 12:22PM

Quote:I thought that the point of having a stabilizer was so you wouldn't have to use a tripod, but the camera could be hand held.

Doesn't remove the need to be aware of your choice of shutter speed...
Mark_Readman 9 922
20 Jan 2007 12:26PM
you have to hold the shutter button halfway down for approximately a second before it starts to work
User_Removed 9 4.9k England
20 Jan 2007 12:46PM

Quote:You have to hold the shutter button halfway down for approximately a second before it starts to work

Does that mean it could still be adjusting, if the shutter button is pressed straight down.
Or does is disable it.
I'll read up on it, because i need to know to use the 24-105 mm IS. I thought that all i needed to know, was to switch it off when using a tripod.
Col
Mark_Readman 9 922
20 Jan 2007 12:49PM
the is will blur the picture if you press it straight down, press halfway and watch the view finder until the picture steadies then fire, its only for use when you can not get the shot without it and is best left off as a default setting.
User_Removed 9 4.9k England
20 Jan 2007 12:59PM
Thanks Mark.
Col
20 Jan 2007 1:10PM

Quote:You have to hold the shutter button halfway down for approximately a second before it starts to work

???? In the meantime, the shot's gone...

Technology eh!

Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
20 Jan 2007 1:50PM
I moved from using only IS lenses to only non-IS lenses. I really thought I would miss the stabilisation...... but I don't!
20 Jan 2007 4:31PM
Never got into it CB.

I'm sure there's a justification for it somewhere, but I worked on improving my skills with a standard fast lens - and put the money elsewhere.
billip 10 388 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2007 10:51AM
A question to bmh, or at least on bmh's post. I never realised the focal length rule needed to be adjusted to take account of the "digital crop" effect of the smaller sensor. Could you confirm this is the case, so I can amend my technique ?!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.