Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Image Theft

16 Jun 2010 10:45PM
Have you tried your old name, Anna?

Might make you feel better..! Grin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ginluvva e2
4 464 Scotland
16 Jun 2010 11:32PM
Hmm, they got some of mine that I haven.t put on any websites. The cheeky f******
Fishnet e2
10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2010 7:40AM
If you haven't put them on any websites how could they possibly get hold of them?
User_Removed 8 2.1k 7 England
17 Jun 2010 7:54AM

Quote:Hmm, they got some of mine that I haven.t put on any websites. The cheeky f******

Well if you haven't someone else has! Or, they have access to your hard-drive, which, I would be more worried about.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
17 Jun 2010 9:58AM
They've lifted four of mine from here.

Fortunately they've all suffered quite badly in the transition and won't be much use to anyone.

Jester.
User_Removed 7 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2010 10:09AM
Lots of my stuff but, as mentioned, it's all from Google. Some still links but many links have expired.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
17 Jun 2010 10:13AM
I've just looked again and all they've taken from me are the thumbnails in my pf.

No wonder they're no use!

Jester.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
17 Jun 2010 10:35AM

Quote:No wonder they're no use!

Having looked at this closer it seems they are a Spanish image search...a bit like Google. You don't upload to Google, Google crawls web sites and indexes the content so when you search you find content/images/news etc on the relevant web sites. If the indexed pictures on this site are found, the finder will click the thumb and land on ePHOTOzine or any other site that the photo was indexed on. It seems the site is trying to make money from it's google ads and uses the images as a way to get people to its site. Google pay money if their search box is used and if ads are clicked on. Those are the first things the users.

So it's main catch is providing wallpapers. The idea is you would search, find a pic you like and then click on the thumbnail to get a big version pulled from the original site into a box within their site. So it looks like the picture is available from them to use as a wallpaper.

The good thing about ePHOTOzine is that we protect you by turning off the hotlinking so the person cannot access your photos on here. Try it. do a search for ephotozine. On the first page click on an ePHOTOzine image and then on the slightly larger and poor quality thumbnail. You will be directed to a page that says www.ephotozine.com. Then try clicking on one of our members Tim ambientlight.co.uk's photo spreads....and see it takes you to the full size version.

Hopefully that will reassure most of you. If you're picture has been lifted from any other source check to make sure it is hotlink protected.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
17 Jun 2010 10:50AM
Already tried it Pete.

You're dead right but thanks for the reassurance anyway.

Jester
17 Jun 2010 11:47AM
Yayyyy, International fame at last.............
redhed17 e2
9 680 England
17 Jun 2010 1:11PM
I've just searched my username and 7 pictures resulted, 4 from here, though 2 are not my pictures and I don't remember commenting on them.

As has been said, clicking on the Ephotozine images just brings up www.ephotozine.com.
Fishnet e2
10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2010 1:41PM
I'm too scared to try and search for mine again.
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
17 Jun 2010 3:15PM
I can't say it bothers me in the least but was amused last night to find typing in Cattyal produced 10 pages of results Smile Somehow I think it very unlikely anyone would search on my username Smile
So I decided to type in my nom-de-web and up came 66 images (or was it 77?) mostly from my flickr account. There are also photos taken from Photoanswers website, including thumbnails of avatars of other Photoanswers members who I exchanged PMs with. So they've even been in the private PM inbox of Photoanswers. Now I don't give a f**k who copies pics from Flickr, if you post there, you expect that, or at least, you understand you're leaving yourself open to that, but I'm a little surprised to see those avatars from a private message box harvested.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
17 Jun 2010 7:34PM
Looks like the site has been suspended Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.