Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

image Watermark software recommendation sought

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Jestertheclown
1 Nov 2012 - 12:51 PM

Quote: the image is pretty useless to use as -is because it has your name and copyright across it.

Most people here could remove that name and copyright in minutes, if not in seconds.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Nov 2012 - 12:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139450 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 1:03 PM

Quote: Most people here could remove that name and copyright in minutes, if not in seconds.

Indeed. The content-aware facility in PS can be quite helpful. Lol! Wink

779HOB
779HOB  21020 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Nov 2012 - 1:20 PM

Quote: Most people here could remove that name and copyright in minutes, if not in seconds.

This is true - but by doing so they can't argue that they didn't know the image was under copyright. You can't protect images really unless you cover them in watermark, but you can close the window and make someone pick up a brick.

weseeyou
weseeyou  3112 forum posts
1 Nov 2012 - 1:42 PM

Quote: but the person who nicked your image could argue that they thought it copyright-free because there was no apparent copyright or watermark visible

Copyright is automatic (in the UK and many other countries). So someone stealing your image because it didn't have a mark would have as much defence as someone stealing property from your car because you'd left it open with no notice to say don't steal.

I hear what you are saying but there is no real parralel to be drawn between stealing items from someone elses car and downloading an apparently copyright-free image on the net.

The best means of theft prevention always has been and always will be visible security which acts as both a deterrant and to clearly inform about ownershipWink

779HOB
779HOB  21020 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Nov 2012 - 1:48 PM

Quote: Copyright is automatic (in the UK and many other countries).

It is but how many people outside the creative industries know that.

Quote: The best means of theft prevention always has been and always will be visible security which acts as both a deterrant and to clearly inform about ownership

Agree. It can't stop image theft but it does make it clear to everyone that the image isn't free to use.

mikehit
mikehit  56474 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 2:06 PM

Quote: I hear what you are saying but there is no real parralel to be drawn between stealing items from someone elses car and downloading an apparently copyright-free image on the net.

I disagree - the fact the person is ignorant of the law is irrelevant. There are basically two types of person who will pick up your image: someone who wants to either sell it or use it to advertise their own services. These people are usually fully aware of copyright matters and do not care, so they will clone out any watermark and go right ahead anyway. These are lost sales.
The other sort (and probably a majority) are magpies picking up a nice image for their FB avatar or putting a 'cute' image on their page. Either they do not know how to process it out or the effort is not worth its intended use - so you are deterring people whose behaviour does not affect you at all (financially, that is).

Personally, I think watermarking is a feelgood thing rather than having any practical purpose. You can drive yourself nuts over image rights, so my advice is that if you are that worried don't post it.

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 2:09 PM

Quote: Copyright is automatic (in the UK and many other countries)

It is but how many people outside the creative industries know that.

This is true, but it's invariably an infringement of T&Cs on blogging platforms & social networks to publish other people's pictures. Flickr is an effective image laundering site in that many photos wrongly published there often get 'sub-nicked' and end up on a ton of blogs, too.

Irrespective of that, and bearing in mind that few people ever read a load of rules before using the internet, there are numerous photographers out there that pursue copyright infringements extremely aggressively. Example here.

Watermarks are difficult to design in such a way that they show up on all photos, so it's best to test them out (especially opacity) on a photo that has loads of fussy detail.

Last Modified By GlennH at 1 Nov 2012 - 2:15 PM
User_Removed
1 Nov 2012 - 2:50 PM

Quote: an apparently copyright-free image on the net.

No such thing. Do you think that all the thousands of photos on this site that aren't watermarked are copyright free? They aren't. Ignorance of the law is no defence. Doesn't matter whether it's on the net or hanging on a gallery wall, absence of a sign does NOT mean "free use allowed"!

Quote: It can't stop image theft but it does make it clear to everyone that the image isn't free to use.

I've seen the opposite case, where people think so long as they say who owns the copyright (or the watermark does) then they are free to use the stuff on their blogs etc. There's "fan videos" of all sorts on YouTube where they quote the original copyright holder as if by recognising the original source it allows them to upload with impunity.

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 8:15 PM

I'd have thought the easiest way to make a visible watermark is just to type on a new layer and reduce the opacity, or am I missing something?

Like this for example? You can place it where ever you want, change the font, change the colour, and if you want a graphic just create a PS brush and apply the same way.

602296-10151269157745365-1935093276-n.jpg

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 7:06 AM

Quote: I'd have thought the easiest way to make a visible watermark is just to type on a new layer and reduce the opacity, or am I missing something?

You're not missing anything in terms of creating the watermark, Anna. A problem arises though when attempting to watermark a few hundred or thousand pictures at the same time, either through a Photoshop action or a website platform. Then you're usually obliged to plonk the watermark in the same place every time!

I tend not to watermark anything for ePhotozine because the collection here is relatively small - if I get paranoid I can use Google or TinEye to fruitlessly rummage around!

talerKK
talerKK  1
20 May 2013 - 9:53 AM

Photoshop is bit little expensive and complicated to use. So I choose RE watermark freeware ,which is capable of both adding and removing watermark.I found that by google. Share with you all.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.