Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Images look lighter & darker at 120 & 24mm

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    johnmac
    johnmac  491 forum posts
    12 Jun 2012 - 8:28 PM

Hi, Iím using Nikon D700 with Nikon 24-120mm f4 lens. Why is it when I take an image in Aperture Priority f9 at 120mm and using same focal point at f9 24mm the image at 24mm comes out much darker. What would I need to do to get both images looking similar

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Jun 2012 - 8:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dangertaylor
    12 Jun 2012 - 8:37 PM

try shooting with shutter priority
    if im correct, i believe it is from the inner glass being at different distances from the end of the lens, making it slightly easier and slightly harder for it to collect light on the same aperture (someone correct me if im wrong)

snapbandit
    snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jun 2012 - 8:47 PM

probably this is a daft question & apologies if I have misunderstood the problem, but is the image in the frame the same (i.e. did you move closer to the subject when set at 24mm to get the same image in frame?) or did you simply zoom out to 24mm? & if so would there be more 'light' (possibly more sky etc.) in the frame causing the auto exposure to darken to correct.

to check if the lens is causing a difference at different focal lengths, set the camera on manual exposure & take the two shots at the same shutter speed & aperture.

Joe B

Last Modified By snapbandit at 12 Jun 2012 - 8:48 PM
    johnmac
    johnmac  491 forum posts
    12 Jun 2012 - 10:14 PM

I took both images from the same distance, I zoomed out. This is a new lens 24-120mm f4 so I can't see it being the lens. Both images were identical. I'll try both ways tomorrow one with Shutter and Manual with same shutter speed & aperture.

snapbandit
    snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jun 2012 - 10:46 PM

Sorry, don't want to sound cheeky, but I cannot see how the two images can be identical if you took them from the same position and changed the lens zoom from 120mm to 24mm.

Anyway,
    Any chance of you posting the pics so we can see & possibly give more helpful info?

Joe B

johnmac
    johnmac  491 forum posts
    12 Jun 2012 - 11:15 PM

When I say identical the focal point were the same. Posting the pics, now that would be a challenge for me, never done that. Probably would struggle, I'll do a search on this site and find out how it's done and what size the image should be.

jimthistle73
    13 Jun 2012 - 1:59 AM

I'd guess it's because at 24mm, there's more of the sky in shot, so the camera's meter compensates for this, darkening the image down. try shooting in manual mode - it's likely that the two images will then be exactly the same.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jun 2012 - 3:21 AM

I would say both Joe and Jamie are right.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73903 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jun 2012 - 5:13 AM

Yes im with Cole, Joe and Jamie. If you have matrix metering set the camera adjusts to take account of the exposure of the whole scene. So if there's a lot of bright sky at 24mm the camera will compensate.

One other minor point at 24mm the 24-120 has quite a bit of vignetting ( I use the same combo as you) however at F9 it shouldnt be too much of an issue.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 13 Jun 2012 - 5:14 AM
    johnmac
    johnmac  491 forum posts
    13 Jun 2012 - 3:13 PM

Hi all, reckon your spot on. Did similar shots today started off as mentioned focused at 24mm but changed from Matrix to Centre Weight to Spot really made a big difference to the outcome of all images. I have to admit without this forum and you guys I would be struggling to learn anything about photography. Wink Really appreciate your advice and patience

Many thanks

Nick what do you think to 24-120mm f4 lens?

Johnmac

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73903 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jun 2012 - 3:29 PM

Quote: Nick what do you think to 24-120mm f4 lens?

Once you understand the lens it's fine, I'm not keen on it for landscapes (I preferred the Sigma 24-70, but this is probably me, I always forget to give it a go, as I use a 20mm prime), but for candid portraits, general travel photography it's brilliant.

The VR is exceptionally good, I was sceptical about VR before this lens but not now. Nearly all my composites use this lens for the stock images. My last images in my PF used it.

Weak points are vignetting at 24mm wide open( how often do you need that)
    Distortion at 24mm (easily corrected in Lightroom)
    A bit soft on the frame edge at 120mm, but super centre sharpness.

The images come out with good contrast, I've found that they are a touch dark, but I don't worry as I always optimise the exposure at the time of shooting.

johnmac
    johnmac  491 forum posts
    13 Jun 2012 - 3:42 PM

I bought it as an all in one lens to walk around with. I do use it for landscape although I'm not over impressed I think I could do with another lens for landscape, the only other lenses I have is 50mm f1.8G, 18-105mm DX & 55-200 DX that I have for my Nikon D5000. Now I've upgraded to D700 I only use the 5000 if I go into town in an area where the 700 don't stand out so much.

All the Best

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.