Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

images not opening in editor

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Mar 2012 - 8:47 AM

morning computer gurus heres my problem.
    I currently use nikon view and elements 9
    in elements when I open the editor I do not get all the images that are in the catalogue as shown in the organiser any ideas whats going on.
    This occurs in all the different catalogues entries.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Mar 2012 - 8:47 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

alansnap
    alansnap e2 Member 10529 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Mar 2012 - 1:09 PM

Hi are these RAW or jpeg? Could be that you have a RAW format ELements 9 won't recognise. You can update free, though I find this almost impossible on my Mac.
    Alan

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64430 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Mar 2012 - 1:11 PM

I get the same problem with my Canon S100 and E9. E9 doesn't recognise S100 RAWs so I've either got to buy an upgrade to E10 or CS5 or use DPP. Might be the same with Nikons if you've bought a new camera.

NEWDIGIT
    8 Mar 2012 - 10:51 AM

These are all RAW its the only format I use as 99% of my photos are landscapes

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96303 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Mar 2012 - 11:18 AM

Quote: These are all RAW its the only format I use as 99% of my photos are landscapes

RAW is just the generic name for the file format.

Every camera model has its own unique RAW specifications, that is why all the software companies have to update from time to time to include these new models.

For example, Lightroom which was update on Tuesday now includes the Niklkn models: D4, D800, D800E.

No doubt another update in a month or so for the new Canon announced last week.

NEWDIGIT
    8 Mar 2012 - 3:31 PM

Perhaps I did not make the original query clear enough.
    Firstly most if not all my photos are taken in RAW on either a D3100 or D7000.
    I then download into elements 9 organiser (suitably progged for RAW) view the originals those I dont like I delete and save remainder in a suitably labelled catalogue.
    When I then open elements edit and open a catalogue not all of the images are available.
    This only occurs in elements and is the same for all my catalogues.
    When I open the catalogue in viewNX2 all the images are there.
    ANY IDEAS WHATS GOING ON???
    PLEASE USE PLAIN SPEAK I AM NOT A COMPUTER GEEK

Another question if I might.
    Following advice given on this site I had convinced myself to purchase Capture NX2 rather than PS5 when I upgrade to a pc in a few weeks time.
    I am not into excessive post processing.
    However having visited Focus and watched a demo of Topaz I am now yet again not sure which to buy.
    Has anyone expierience of comparing using Topaz and Capture.

Zatoichi
    Zatoichi  5707 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Mar 2012 - 4:11 PM

Is the problem with elements new or has that always been the case?

As already suggested make sure its all up to date and check all of your settings, sometimes these problems can be as simple as ticking a box.

I'm not familiar with the software you're talking about but have you thought of Lightroom? The features, functions and editing are all easy to use particularly if you're not into heavy editing where PS steals the show!

Hope this is of some help Smile

mikehit
    mikehit  56450 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Mar 2012 - 5:52 PM

If I recall correctly there is a differenc between viewing images in the PSE catalogue and actually importing them into the catalogue. From you description it seems that you are aware of this but I just want to confirm.

NEWDIGIT
    9 Mar 2012 - 9:09 AM

mikeh,
    yes aware of this, the images are in the catalogue in the organiser yet when in edit mode and I open the relevant catalogue approx 30%-40% of the images do not appearSad

66tricky
    66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
    9 Mar 2012 - 2:04 PM

I'm not familiar with Elements but check whether there is a filter option of any sort in the catalogue. I've been caught out with such things in other packages, having set a filter without being aware,

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.