Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Import taxes from america?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Lucian
    Lucian  4561 forum posts
    12 May 2012 - 9:57 AM

One of the wedding albums i use is now not available for purchase in the uk and the only place it can be purchased is america. Can anyone tell me if i will be liable for import charges if i order from america.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 May 2012 - 9:57 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

FlashBangPicture

yes on anything above 18 i believe it is.

66tricky
    66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
    12 May 2012 - 2:43 PM

Actually, I think photo albums are 0% rated for duty but still attract VAT at 20%.

eddieg01
    eddieg01  7 United Kingdom
    12 May 2012 - 3:26 PM

Also, if shipped by Fedex they will charge you 10 for processing it through customs.

Last Modified By eddieg01 at 12 May 2012 - 3:26 PM
    Lucian
    Lucian  4561 forum posts
    12 May 2012 - 5:36 PM

So is this charge on top of the postage that the supplier will charge? I think it is ups that is the courier. I dont want to get any surprise charges?

chris.maddock
    12 May 2012 - 6:32 PM

Quote: Actually, I think photo albums are 0% rated for duty but still attract VAT at 20%.

From a quick scan through the Revenue & Customs website, I "think" that is correct - assuming that they do count as books, which would be my guess. I think the VAT will be charged on both the goods cost and the postage.

Further to Eddie's point about Fedex - other carriers may well make a handling charge as well if they are doing both the collection and the delivery.
    Also, no matter who actually carries the goods as far as the UK point of arrival, if the Royal Mail (or Parcelforce) get to handle it at this end they will also charge a customs handling fee.

Graysta
    Graysta  91135 forum posts England
    12 May 2012 - 8:01 PM

Just looked at buying some memory from US .Pound per Dollar saving 120 ish + Import and VAT
    Loosing about 40 the gov dont even touch it but UPS know the score they will always get your back pocket at the door, Look on Ebay they have a section on the subject of buying outside EU.
    What ever happened to a good fiddle?

rheyes
    rheyes  1072 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 May 2012 - 7:46 AM

Have a look here. I have used this before to get estimated costs and it hasn't been far of.

And as has been said above, allow for admin cost from the carrier.

Richard.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104044 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    13 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

Just bought a custom air filter for my son's Harley from the states. Cost in UK Sterling was 289.00, plus 36.00 carriage via USPS. The import tax was 11 and the VAT 50.00. Still worked out even including carriage at 90.00 cheaper than buying in uk.

Lucian
    Lucian  4561 forum posts
    1 Jun 2012 - 9:48 PM

If i spend say 150 on albums from america do you think it will cost about 30 or something in customs charges or do you think it will cost a lot more. The album works out about 35 pounds in america and it was costing me about 55 in this country. Its a really nice wedding album and is better than some wedding albums that cost over 100.00.

mikehit
    mikehit  56539 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2012 - 10:12 PM

30% is about right being the VAT rate.
    You may also be hit for import duty on top,

mikehit
    mikehit  56539 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2012 - 10:54 PM

Quote: 30% is about right being the VAT rate.

That should, of course read "20% is about right being the VAT rate. "

Lucian
    Lucian  4561 forum posts
    2 Jun 2012 - 12:59 AM

How Much is import duty?

chris.maddock
    2 Jun 2012 - 8:20 AM

I refer the honourable gentleman to the replies given previously.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.