Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

In camera auto adjustments

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kodachrome
    3 Aug 2013 - 1:39 PM

My Sony A-57 has in camera auto correction adjustments [which can be switched on or off]. i.e. Lens Comp: Chro. Aber. Lens Comp: Distortion.

This will not work with lenses other than Sony lenses. So for arguments sake, if I wanted to use a Tamron 17-50 no correction adjustments will take place. However, I use a Microsoft editing programme for my Jpegs that has a auto correction facility, would this do the same job as the in camera corrections.

Thanks

Peter

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Aug 2013 - 1:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeA
    MikeA  91177 forum posts England
    3 Aug 2013 - 3:11 PM

No.

Quote: My Sony A-57 has in camera auto correction adjustments [which can be switched on or off]. i.e. Lens Comp: Chro. Aber. Lens Comp: Distortion.

are all lens related and specific to Sony camera/lens combination. The camera will pre-programmed to respond to the Sony lens.

Microsoft editing software will act upon the image related parameters such as exposure, colour balance, sharpening etc, it does not know how to adjust for specific camera / lens combinations.

Hope that makes sense.

Last Modified By MikeA at 3 Aug 2013 - 3:13 PM
    kodachrome
    3 Aug 2013 - 6:22 PM

Thanks, I see what you mean. I will start looking out for some second hand Sony lenses.
    Pete

Kruger01
    Kruger01 e2 Member 6Kruger01 vcard United Kingdom
    4 Aug 2013 - 12:08 PM

Don't the in camera adjustments only apply to the jpgs, raw files are not altered. Software such as PShop/ lightroom will allow you full control of such adjustments including 3rd party lenses to the raw file.

Bill

MikeA
    MikeA  91177 forum posts England
    4 Aug 2013 - 2:02 PM

Quote: Don't the in camera adjustments only apply to the jpgs, raw files are not altered. Software such as PShop/ lightroom will allow you full control of such adjustments including 3rd party lenses to the raw file.

Bill

What has RAW to do with the original question?

kodachrome
    5 Aug 2013 - 8:36 AM

Thanks all for your input, Yes, they only work on Jpegs, but as I mainly use Jpegs its a useful feature.
    However, a good quality lens so I'm told will not exhibit too many faults that may need correcting, although no lens is perfect in that respect.
    I did hear that one independant lens manufacturer was going to 'chip' the lens according to its mount, i.e. Nikon, Canon, Sony and Pentax. This is so the camera can respond to the lens. Not sure that ever happened though.
    Pete

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.