Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

In camera auto adjustments

3 Aug 2013 1:39PM
My Sony A-57 has in camera auto correction adjustments [which can be switched on or off]. i.e. Lens Comp: Chro. Aber. Lens Comp: Distortion.

This will not work with lenses other than Sony lenses. So for arguments sake, if I wanted to use a Tamron 17-50 no correction adjustments will take place. However, I use a Microsoft editing programme for my Jpegs that has a auto correction facility, would this do the same job as the in camera corrections.

Thanks

Peter

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeA e2
10 1.2k England
3 Aug 2013 3:11PM
No.

Quote:My Sony A-57 has in camera auto correction adjustments [which can be switched on or off]. i.e. Lens Comp: Chro. Aber. Lens Comp: Distortion.
are all lens related and specific to Sony camera/lens combination. The camera will pre-programmed to respond to the Sony lens.

Microsoft editing software will act upon the image related parameters such as exposure, colour balance, sharpening etc, it does not know how to adjust for specific camera / lens combinations.

Hope that makes sense.
3 Aug 2013 6:22PM
Thanks, I see what you mean. I will start looking out for some second hand Sony lenses.
Pete
4 Aug 2013 12:08PM
Don't the in camera adjustments only apply to the jpgs, raw files are not altered. Software such as PShop/ lightroom will allow you full control of such adjustments including 3rd party lenses to the raw file.

Bill
MikeA e2
10 1.2k England
4 Aug 2013 2:02PM

Quote:Don't the in camera adjustments only apply to the jpgs, raw files are not altered. Software such as PShop/ lightroom will allow you full control of such adjustments including 3rd party lenses to the raw file.

Bill

What has RAW to do with the original question?
5 Aug 2013 8:36AM
Thanks all for your input, Yes, they only work on Jpegs, but as I mainly use Jpegs its a useful feature.
However, a good quality lens so I'm told will not exhibit too many faults that may need correcting, although no lens is perfect in that respect.
I did hear that one independant lens manufacturer was going to 'chip' the lens according to its mount, i.e. Nikon, Canon, Sony and Pentax. This is so the camera can respond to the lens. Not sure that ever happened though.
Pete

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.