Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

In the Final of a Photo Competition

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Denness
Denness  4 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2011 - 9:18 PM

I've been lucky enough to get to the final of an online photo competition with my shot, The Inquisitive Duckling. I would really appreciate it if you could go to the link below and view the entries -

http://www.mypetbook.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=...

It would be great if you could vote for MAY, which is my picture "The Inquisitive Duckling", but of course if you really prefer another shot then vote for them

Please only vote once per person from each IP address (if more than one person leave 24hrs in between vote), and please ask your friends to vote as well

There is also an option to link it to facebook should you wish ; )

Thanks,
Pete D

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Feb 2011 - 9:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown

Sorry.

Much as I wish you all the luck in the world with your entry, I don't think that asking people to vote for it is really in the spirit of the competition.

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82271 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2011 - 10:50 PM

It's between yours and Nov's for me - 2 completely different styles but both excellent. Although I see point of Jestertheclown I disagree on the principle that when others have done this they haven't always been criticised (although I have seen some criticism), indeed on many occasions quite the reverse. I see your post as promoting the competition - albeit you acknowledge your vested interest. Looking at the results so far I don't think you need to go mad promoting it.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2011 - 11:01 PM


Quote: I don't think that asking people to vote for it is really in the spirit of the competition.

It's the same with any competition where public votes are required the winning artwork/song/item is often the one who has the most friends/online presence...not necessarily the best artwork/song/item. So each candidate may as well take the same approach.

Denness
Denness  4 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2011 - 11:30 PM


Quote: Sorry.

Much as I wish you all the luck in the world with your entry, I don't think that asking people to vote for it is really in the spirit of the competition.

I can see why you might say this but I recieved an email from the organisers asking me to get as many people as possible to vote, and in this particular forum I haven't actually asked you to vote for me, just the picture you think is best.


Quote: It's between yours and Nov's for me - 2 completely different styles but both excellent. Although I see point of Jestertheclown I disagree on the principle that when others have done this they haven't always been criticised (although I have seen some criticism), indeed on many occasions quite the reverse. I see your post as promoting the competition - albeit you acknowledge your vested interest. Looking at the results so far I don't think you need to go mad promoting it.

I agree, I really like November too. In reality however its between me and August, as we both have far more votes than anyone else. On two occasions August got 100+ votes in about 10-20 minutes, so I would say that if anyone is cheating its not me. The contest ends on March 15th so still a long way to go. The organiser did state to me that they wanted lots of votes in order to promote the site and effectively fund the prize.


Quote: I don't think that asking people to vote for it is really in the spirit of the competition.It's the same with any competition where public votes are required the winning artwork/song/item is often the one who has the most friends/online presence...not necessarily the best artwork/song/item. So each candidate may as well take the same approach.

Thanks Pete, this is definitely the case in this competition and is encouraged by the organisers. I have been working really hard to promote my picture and the competition I know that August is doing the same so I think posting here is fair

Thanks for all your comments
Cheers
Pete

Jestertheclown
6 Feb 2011 - 11:34 PM

So this "competition" is really a way for someone to promote their website (SEO?) and not a lot to do with photography?

Jester.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2011 - 11:36 PM


Quote: It's the same with any competition where public votes are required the winning artwork/song/item is often the one who has the most friends/online presence...not necessarily the best artwork/song/item. So each candidate may as well take the same approach.

It's clear that getting votes by "advertising" the competition and the company is the companies intent with this kind of competition. I hate them because I can see that its just "spam" advertising in a different form, which generally gets regular people (new and existing members of sites) targeted with the "Its advertising spam" hate when infact its the company itself that drives the need to share the details around.

Nick_Hilton
6 Feb 2011 - 11:41 PM

So you telling me to vote for either a duckling with its reflected head cut off or a dog with its head cut off by a door Hmmmm difficult choice Wink

Denness
Denness  4 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2011 - 11:50 PM


Quote: So you telling me to vote for either a duckling with its reflected head cut off or a dog with its head cut off by a door Hmmmm difficult choice Wink

No Nick, I'm not telling you to do anything.....


Quote: So this "competition" is really a way for someone to promote their website (SEO?) and not a lot to do with photography?

Jester.

Well Jester, it has photographs in it so I guess it has something to do with photography? Wildlife Photographer of the Year has a sponser as well. If you like a photo vote, if not don't.


It's clear that getting votes by "advertising" the competition and the company is the companies intent with this kind of competition. I hate them because I can see that its just "spam" advertising in a different form, which generally gets regular people (new and existing members of sites) targeted with the "Its advertising spam" hate when infact its the company itself that drives the need to share the details around.
[/quote]

Fair point, if people on here hate it that much I'll remove it, I'm just in with a shout of winning a camera and am doing what I can to win, by asking you to have a look and vote on the image you like most. I did'nt want to annoy or cause offence.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2011 - 11:55 PM


Quote: Fair point, if people on here hate it that much I'll remove it,

Don't worry about it...as you say others in the competition are doing the same. Some won't like your tactics, but the methods of the competition drive that approach not you. As you say people don't have to vote for your shot or even vote at all. Incidentally what was the competition theme?

mcgannc
mcgannc  5389 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2011 - 11:56 PM

Have to say I'm quite surprised by some of the responses received here...I don't see what is so wrong with someone flagging a competition they are in?? The world in which we live is full of self promotion - if I want to get on in work, I need to raise awareness with others towards what I'm doing, that way I will have a greater chance of gaining the positive feedback needed about my performance to get the pay rise I want, you have to sell yourself!

The OP gave a choice:
a) have a look if you want;
b) vote for them if you want;
c) vote for someone else if you prefer.

Really don't see why it is such a big issue??

Chris

Jestertheclown
6 Feb 2011 - 11:57 PM


Quote: I did'nt want to annoy or cause offence.

I'm not annoyed or offended and if your image wins and you get a camera because your's is judged to be the best image that was entered by an impartial jury, then good luck to you.
It just doesn't seem that that's the way it's being judged. The relative merits, or otherwise, of the entries are taking second place to someone lining their pocket.
Anyway, I haven't entered or voted, so the outcome makes no difference to me.
On which note, I shall say no more.

Jester.

Denness
Denness  4 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2011 - 11:58 PM


Quote: Fair point, if people on here hate it that much I'll remove it,
Don't worry about it...as you say others in the competition are doing the same. Some won't like your tactics, but the methods of the competition drive that approach not you. As you say people don't have to vote for your shot or even vote at all. Incidentally what was the competition theme?

Cheers,

The theme was pets, or your "Wild Pet" The final twelve images were selected by the organisers and put up for voting.

Denness
Denness  4 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2011 - 12:00 AM


Quote: I did'nt want to annoy or cause offence.
I'm not annoyed or offended and if your image wins and you get a camera because your's is judged to be the best image that was entered by an impartial jury, then good luck to you.
It just doesn't seem that that's the way it's being judged. The relative merits, or otherwise, of the entries are taking second place to someone lining their pocket.
Anyway, I haven't entered or voted, so the outcome makes no difference to me.
On which note, I shall say no more.

Jester.

Fair enough mate.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2011 - 8:16 AM


Quote: The OP gave a choice:
a) have a look if you want;
b) vote for them if you want;
c) vote for someone else if you prefer.

Really don't see why it is such a big issue??

Totally agree. Some people should take their tablets.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.