Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Increasing exposure for transparences

davro49mo e2
13 21 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2002 7:41PM
When you are told to increase the exposure when photographing a white subject does this also apply to colour transparences. I would have thought you needed to give less exposure otherwise surely the whites will be burnt out. I understand increase to be i.e from f5.6 to f4. Please can anyone give advice on this subject.

D Robinson.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
11 Jul 2002 9:14AM
You are right to think that increasing the exposure would make something lighter, but your whites won't be burnt out. The reason for this is that all exposure meters look at the subject and adjust the exposure so it will turn out an average tone. In photography that's a mid grey. So when you photograph something that's white the meter will automatically underexpose to make it grey, and that's why you have to overexpose to take it back to white.
sinargee e2
12 245
17 Jul 2002 2:56PM
The main thing to remember when exposing transparency film is not to overepose. Overexposure will result in washed out slides. Yes when shooting negative film the old maxim expose for the shadows and process for the highlights for B&W film holds good. Also remember there is only a third of a stop either side of the correct exposure that is tolerable with slide film.
doctorsid e2
12 12 United States
21 Jul 2002 2:23AM
It is probably best to expose every slide at 1/3 under... no matter what the subject. Proove it to yourself... Shoot a roll of ISO 100 slides and set your meter at asa 80 (I know that it=s not a 1/3 stop but you will get very nice rich slides that will have details you can bring out in printing if needed. Issue 3 of www.photographicage.com has a lot of articles about slide film in it.
Colin_A e2
12 32
30 Jul 2002 7:01PM
To underexpose slide film by a 1/3 of a stop can give good results but the ISO needs tobe higher
(125 ISO not 80 ISO for 100 ISO film)
Phoenix e2
13 1.9k
2 Aug 2002 1:34PM
Personally I find how I expose the shot depends on the film. I tend to rate my usual film selection as follows

Film ISO
------ -----
Velvia 50
Provia 100F 100
Provia 400F 400
800 + 1 sttop push
1600 + 2 stop push
2500 + 3 stop push
Astia 100
Sensia 100 100 for portraiture
125 for anything else

Incidentally, I only use astia for portraiture, were I using it for anything else, I'd rate it at 125
Likewise were I to use Provia 100F or Velvia for portraiture (unlikely in both cases) id likely rate them at 80 & 40 respectively

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.