Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Increasing Personal Web Site Visitors

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

NatalieKinnear
15 Aug 2007 - 8:26 PM

Anyone got any good ideas on how to increase the number of visitors to a personal web site?

I started mine a little while ago, and whilst I'm very realistic about how sales from the site will be minimal, I really would like to at least increase the number of people visiting the site.

Thanks

Natalie

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Aug 2007 - 8:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014141 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2007 - 8:36 PM

The number 1 thing I did on mine was to put a blog on it. This made the content regularly which search engines (particularly Google) love. In addition the blog has an rss feed which people & applications subscribe to increasing visibility.

In addition I added a second rss feed of photography news which increases search engine visibilty.

Then I registered the site with every blog/social networking site I could find.

I also used the google webmaster tools to create a sitemap. Now it seems Google loves me Smile

Outside of search engines, other things are:
Every mail I send out has a link to my site in the footer.
I leave my business cards all over the place and plug my site at exhibitions.
Works for me Smile

User_Removed
15 Aug 2007 - 10:07 PM

Quote: In addition I added a second rss feed of photography news which increases search engine visibility.

How d'you do that Chris? ( Don't have the time to do/maintain a a 'Blog' )

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014141 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2007 - 10:11 PM

Created a google blog search, these have an rss feed link for the search on them. I then pushed this through feed burner to generate the HTML.

As for the blog, a "photo of the week" with a few words about it, would be quick to do.

User_Removed
15 Aug 2007 - 10:12 PM

Cool... Thanks for that Chris.

dasantillo
17 Aug 2007 - 7:54 AM

I wrote this long reply, then checked the original question and realised you hadn't asked about increasing sales. Ho hum, here's the reply anyway in case it's useful:

My advise is don't get your hopes up to make big sales, unless it is event photography and you give people the link to the event they were at.

I've had my site since August 2003 and have gradually increased the content and added a blog with RSS feed that I kept going for a couple of years. With the blog, I had regular readers but it became a chore to I chose to stop it. I have thousands of so called unique hits each week, a large portion is spam attempts at trying to put spam into my guestbook - as I wrote the PHP code myself I've added a verify page and banned links which confuses most spam-bots but still just under 2000 attempt it each week... None succeed Smile

I have sold hundreds of coasters, mounted prints, greetings cards, etc, etc, all of which have my web address on. I even have a free sample of a greetings card on my website where the user fills in a form and I send them a free sample. I have business cards with my stuff that people take away.

In my eyes, I've done the best I can at marketing my site. Now for the figures:
Free Samples Requested: less than 15
Orders Received: less than 5
Orders resulted from free sample: 0

Now, I may just be unlucky or my photos may be rubbish, but with this success rate you may ask yourself is it worth it?

My answer is yes. But then, I've just netted a rather nice commission from a large publishing company because of my website - they found my site and contacted me using my contact form. Also, now I've got the buying mechanism in place, any orders top up my income which is always good.

Good luck Smile

User_Removed
17 Aug 2007 - 9:39 AM

I wrote a blog entry on this very subject recently... Apologies for linking off to my own site, but it seems pointless to recreate it here for no good reason.

dasantillo
17 Aug 2007 - 9:47 AM

Quote: I wrote a blog entry on this very subject recently... Apologies for linking off to my own site, but it seems pointless to recreate it here for no good reason.

Very interesting - thanks. I didn't know about that changing the content make a difference.

NatalieKinnear
17 Aug 2007 - 10:00 AM

Wow, many thanks everyone for your informative replies. I'd never heard of RSS feeds so I shall certainly be looking into that.

DanSantillo, advice on increasing sales is just as eagerly noted! Smile

magicboy, thanks for the link to your blog entry, when I click on the 'site map' link, and then click on the link from that it comes up with 'There is a problem with this website's security certificate' Have you got any idea what that's all about?

Thanks again

Natalie

nickp
nickp  9490 forum posts
17 Aug 2007 - 1:10 PM

As well as doing all the good technical stuff in the replies, I've found that going and commenting regularly on other people's work on the web pays dividends in visitors. Leave comments on sites which also permit you to leave a link to your site in your comment. Make your comments interesting and you'll get all sorts of people coming to see what your work's like. It will also have the effect of getting you some of those hard to get inbound links that Google likes so much.

Good places to try are those high profile photoblogs that you can find in Google.

Another way of doing the same sort of thing is to write about someone else's photoblog entry in your own blog, providing a link to the other site, then follow the link yourself. Some photoblogs actually publish these inbound links for folk to trackback to the original comment.

larios
larios  7 Greece
17 Aug 2007 - 1:51 PM

Quote: Created a google blog search, these have an rss feed link for the search on them. I then pushed this through feed burner to generate the HTML.

As for the blog, a "photo of the week" with a few words about it, would be quick to do.

Interesting thing! Could you explain it please in more layman terms?

lobsterboy
17 Aug 2007 - 2:07 PM

Go to blogsearch.google.com enter a few search terms about things that are in your site: So in my case it might be "epping forest, landscape photography" etc.
Once you have a search that shows stuff that is similar in subject to your site then right click on the subscribe RSS link on the left.

Sign up with feedburner.com and when asked for the URL of your feed then use the thing you just copied. In the publicize tab is an option called buzboost - this will give you the HTML to go on your site.

Example is the latest photography blogs - in the right hand panel of my blog.
Chris
P.S. My blog currently had 380 visitors (not hits) yesterday so something must be working Wink

Hugeknot
Hugeknot  91212 forum posts Iceland2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2007 - 2:24 PM

That is great advice Lobsterboy!
When I added a site map to my site, my trafic increased - doubled. And the visitor count is still rising.
Also you might try creating a google map.

larios
larios  7 Greece
17 Aug 2007 - 2:54 PM

Quote: Go to blogsearch.google.com enter a few search terms about things that are in your site: So in my case it might be "epping forest, landscape photography" etc.
Once you have a search that shows stuff that is similar in subject to your site then right click on the subscribe RSS link on the left.

Sign up with feedburner.com and when asked for the URL of your feed then use the thing you just copied. In the publicize tab is an option called buzboost - this will give you the HTML to go on your site.

Example is the latest photography blogs - in the right hand panel of my blog.
Chris
P.S. My blog currently had 380 visitors (not hits) yesterday so something must be working

Thanks indeed! Precious info!
Will try it on my blog

Yannis
Sorry Link removed by Epz as it is against T&Cs

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 17 Aug 2007 - 2:56 PM
aftertherain
18 Aug 2007 - 10:29 AM

Quote: when asked for the URL of your feed then use the thing you just copied

Which thing will I just have copied.
Sorry I know I'm dense.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.