Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Incredible...

jondf e2
8 2.7k
24 Apr 2011 10:21AM
Over 80,000 people are claiming incapacity benefit due to obesity and alcohol/drug related dependency.

Say their each receiving 75 a week. That equals 75 x 80K = 6 million per week = 312 million a year.

Total annual incapacity benefit bill to the treasury is currently more than 7 billion with over 2 million claimants (nearly 3% of the population)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2011 10:27AM
how can anyone support a habit on 75 per week, I have enough trouble getting to the end of each month on a salary!
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2011 10:52AM
It all makes for great headlines, but they don't seem to come up with any joined up answers to the problem.
If someone is alcoholic or a drug addict they can't hold down a job for any length of time.
If you cut their benefits you will see an increase in crime with a subsequent rise in prison population and policing costs.
Getting them on treatment plans seems like a sensible option.. only most of those are being cut and they are probebly more expensive than just paying the benefits.
Sus e2
10 3.2k 9 England
24 Apr 2011 11:07AM
Planning developers now have to pay for environmental mitigation and providing green openspace with new developments that they build.

I would like to see mitigation costs put on food/drink manufacturers, for the damage to public health.

Obesity clinics sponsored by Coca Cola, there's a thought...
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2011 3:14PM
Well said lobsterboy - its easy to criticise those with addiction, but regardless of the popular myth addiction is an illness and stopping alcohol or drug addiction is a damn site harder than is often given credit for.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
24 Apr 2011 7:44PM
You are your brother's keeper.Wink
lobsterboy e2
24 Apr 2011 8:46PM

Quote:You are your brother's keeper.Wink

Who told you about that? We never talk about it.
Ok so we keep my brother in the cupboard under the stairs, but he is perfectly happy there honest.
24 Apr 2011 8:50PM
lobsterboy, I hope you are not claiming benefits for him, because if he is under the stairs, in your secret dark-room, developing your films, then he is gainfully employed. I will not snitch on you if I can send my films for developing at a price 20p cheaper than the local chemist's shop.Grin
lobsterboy e2
24 Apr 2011 9:12PM
Why not - since I went digital he has been complaining about being bored. I have tried him on photoshop but his claws just don't seem to be able to work the mouse.
jondf e2
8 2.7k
24 Apr 2011 10:00PM

Quote:how can anyone support a habit on 75 per week, I have enough trouble getting to the end of each month on a salary!

I expect claimants will get other add-on benefits.....council tax, free prescriptions, school meals, rent paid etc.
Phil-LS e2
11 632 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2011 10:11PM

Quote:I expect claimants will get other add-on benefits.....council tax, free prescriptions, school meals, rent paid etc

If your only on incapacity benefit your not entitled to other benefits like free prescription's as it's not a means tested benefit.

You would need to put in a separate claim for income support to get the other benefits.
cantona43 e2
9 915 4 England
24 Apr 2011 10:37PM

Quote:Over 80,000 people are claiming incapacity benefit due to obesity and alcohol/drug related dependency.

there are also thousands more with these "Illnesses" that get no help at all
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2011 10:39PM
The benefit system seems so complicated I'm surprised anyone can fiddle it :O
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
24 Apr 2011 11:40PM
I don't know all that much about the benefits system - except that I've spent my entire working life paying for other people's benefits.

I'm sure they are all ever so deserving!!! Wink
Terry L e2
11 580 5 England
24 Apr 2011 11:49PM
Don't tar everyone with the same brush, I am recovering from mental health issues and have been claiming Incapacity Benefit for 3 years after having a breakdown, photography has been the one thing that has stopped me going right over the edge.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.