Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Incredible...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014796 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2011 - 4:47 AM

In reality, we're all only a step away from the benefits system. I don't wish it on anybody, but an accident can happen anytime, anywhere, or our health, physical or mental, can change in the blink of an eye. Like CB, I have paid all my working life and never collected a penny, and I certainly don't begrudge those who need it.

Sometimes there is justice though; I have an aquaintance that made good money all his life, under the table. He never paid into the pension plan, and was proud of it. He is now totally pi**ed off, because his pension is only $85.00 a month.Tongue

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Apr 2011 - 4:47 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2011 - 6:50 AM

Quote: how can anyone support a habit on 75 per week, I have enough trouble getting to the end of each month on a salary!

I expect claimants will get other add-on benefits.....council tax, free prescriptions, school meals, rent paid etc.

But these are bills levied by the goverment so how would someone unemployed be able to pay them, They do not get the money btw, just credited and would you rather see familys sleep in a cardboard city at the end of every road, peaple need help not hunted by the press for a story

Phil-LS
Phil-LS  11632 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Apr 2011 - 9:05 AM

Quote: Don't tar everyone with the same brush,

I second that.

I have had trouble with my knee for since my late Teens. That's some 20+ years now.
I've had 9 operations in 7 years, including a full Cartilage graft, that was done supposedly to make the joint last longer before they have to replace the joint itself. it's that bad my Local Hospital won't have anything to do with my knee, so they referred me to London and that was 6 years ago.

About every 18 month's i've had to have a medical done for the DWP by the independent medical thing.

Each time it's been the same you get examined by a general DR who sends the report in and then someone sat at a desk looks through the report and say's weather they agree with the DR's report. Well even in my situation i've had my claim stopped till i've had an appeal and the the DR and and other panel member have over turned the decision.

So please were NOT all on the benefit just to get an easy life because its not for some of us.

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
25 Apr 2011 - 10:16 AM

Quote: So please were NOT all on the benefit just to get an easy life because its not for some of us.

For anyone genuinely in need, there shouldn't be an issue. Yet with nearly 3% of the UK population claiming this benefit, you're compelled to wonder how many are swinging the lead and living off those who work and pay their taxes.

I think that for many claimants it's more of a psychological problem. They may have been physically incapacitated at one time but a long period spent away from the rigours of regular employment can have a debilitating effect mentally, confidence being one of the chief problems.

I agree with the comments above regarding crime, particularly where the benefit recipient has a drug/alcohol problem. It'll be interesting to see how the government puts its intentions into practice.

keith selmes
25 Apr 2011 - 11:19 AM

Read about arthritis http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/@3235/Arthritisbasics/Arthritisstatistics

It is odd, lots of people seem to think we live in a caring society now, care about the environment, care about animals, care about all sorts of things, and come down hard on people with painful disabilities. Values have gone a bit skewed, seems to me. And 3% isn't much. 3 in 100. We're lucky if its genuinely that low, but I suspect there are many more people who would, in a real caring society, receive this benfit.

Phil-LS
25 Apr 2011 - 12:50 PM

For me I have to go back to London this Wed to see what's happening with my knee.

But I hate being on benefits, so for that reason i am in the Process of going self employed,
This is so that i can do work as my knee will allow, ie: when i work and am standing a lot 1 day then the following day i make sure that i can work sat down so as to rest my knee. I hope that it will work out just so that i can get back to earning some money.

But YES i agree there are a few out there that are playing the system.

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2011 - 4:52 PM

I'm now a single mother on benefits, the most despised member of society, loathed and slated by the likes of the Daily Mail, I obviously just sit at home watching Jeremy Kyle and updating Facebook on my iphone popping out sprogs left right and centre.

What annoys me is that 'single mother' covers lots of situations that resulted in that woman ending up as one, but say 'single mother' and instantly people make assumptions. People forget that sometimes, young women and mothers can also be widows, widows aren't just elderly people.

I have now idea how people play the system so that they get iphones and foreign holidays whilst on benefits, I can see an endless road of hardship and struggle ahead of me, I'm even thinking of selling my beloved house because I can't afford to keep up the maintenance on it.

Phil-LS
25 Apr 2011 - 5:27 PM

I know how you feel, and your right about Single mothers. I have a friend that was widowed at 25, her husband had a major stroke out of the blue and he was only in his early 30's.

and she ended up on the long road, but i'm pleased to say she was able to go back to college and get a part time job. But she still finds it hard.

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
25 Apr 2011 - 5:34 PM

Quote: And 3% isn't much...

Much of what? Think about that statistic. It's 3% (2.1 million) of the total UK population but by default only those of usual working age (18-65) can claim it. 2.1 million as a percentage of the working population will be a much higher percentage that I'd estimate to be 2.1/33 x 100 = 6.3% .....more than double the total population figure.

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2011 - 5:44 PM

Anna....Do Not Take any account of media opinion....They sell papers by having an opinion and do little good for anyone apart from bigots and peeps without a brain enough to have thier own opinion.

Claim everything that is owed to you and stand proudly doing it knowing that you and your late husband have paid for it through your taxes and NI payments.

SOD the REST and LOOK after YOU and your Children with whatever is available to you.

As a note you really could make a lot of money with your wonderfully creative photography...forget mates rates and charge what you are worth...become exclusive and im sure you can gain a huge income Wink

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2011 - 5:52 PM

Thanks Paul.

I was planning on becoming self employed this year, but not being able to drive is now making it impossible, my husband was going to drive me where ever was needed, I have no means of getting anywhere and that's before I've factored in child care Sad

It's amazing how suddenly your world can be totally changed.

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
25 Apr 2011 - 7:25 PM

Quote: I'm now a single mother on benefits, the most despised member of society....

I think that even the Daily Mail would be able to see the difference between you and the archetypal 'single mother on benefits'.

keith selmes
25 Apr 2011 - 7:47 PM

Quote: 6.3%

Seems more realistic.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139430 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2011 - 10:04 PM

Here are a couple of figures to ponder. Number of incapacity benefit claimants:

What a dreadful indictment of the NHS if that truly reflects the state of the nation's health. Or could it something else?

Is it any wonder some say up to 2 million IB claimants are actually fit for work?

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014796 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2011 - 11:21 PM

Those figures don't seem out of line to me; in fact, considering the population of the UK, I would call them low. Also, in 1975, I wonder how many people needed the benefits, but were refused due to lack of understanding on the part of government? Many factors influence the numbers. 1975 doesn't seem that long ago, but in terms of advances in civilised thinking and understanding when it comes to mental illnes, it's ancient.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.