Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Incredible...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
28 Apr 2011 - 10:20 AM

Linda is spot on.

In some pockets of the country, unemployment appears to be virtually the norm - with some drawing IB for the most specious of reasons. This is, in a sense, insulting to those who are in genuine need.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Apr 2011 - 10:20 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
28 Apr 2011 - 11:43 AM

A lot of the people drawing IB have actually been moved onto it by one or other government in order to manipulate the unemployment figures.

There will always be deadbeats, who would rather get paid for doing nothing. Luckily, although the papers would have you think differently, they are still in the minority. In my experience the majority of people who do not have a job are desperate to get one and I have known several who have become ill with depression because of their inability to do so.

Ian

jondf
jondf  72472 forum posts
28 Apr 2011 - 2:17 PM

Quote: A lot of the people drawing IB have actually been moved onto it by one or other government in order to manipulate the unemployment figures.

And who was it that introduced this benefit? The Tories (no surprises there then). Why is it that most of what they do is either covert, underhand or manipulative?

That said and as said previously.....it'll be interesting to see how they go about reforming a benefit they introduced. What a tangled web we weave when first we practise to deceive Sad

collywobles
28 Apr 2011 - 6:23 PM

The Benefit system was introduced to provide support for people in need. It has now become a system to maintain people who are not necessarily in need.

My son has just lost a potential rented 4 bed house because the single mother currently in it and is on benefits refuses to move out. The Govt is paying her rent of 1500 a month plus council tax and electric & gas plus other money. When there are people who are doing many hours of hard work plus overtime who are at risk of losing their house because they cannot afford to pay their mortage the system is out of control. How can we pay people on benefits more than a lot of people earn for a hard weeks work. The sooner we reduce benefits and make them much harder to obtain the better.

Last Modified By collywobles at 28 Apr 2011 - 6:25 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Apr 2011 - 6:32 PM

Quote: My son has just lost a potential rented 4 bed house because the single mother currently in it and is on benefits refuses to move out

Lol how could your son have lost out, the house was not available to rent out Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
28 Apr 2011 - 7:08 PM

Everyone on benefit should have ALL their benefits reviewed regularly. This should include subsidised accommodation, and other benefits-in-kind, as well as actual cash benefits. It is very likely any increase in bureaucracy will be outweighed, several times over, by savings.

As taxpayers we are entitled to monitor how and where our money is spent. If you are in receipt of public funds, well I'm sorry but you have to accept greater intrusion into your personal affairs. That is the quid pro quo and if you don't like it, don't claim benefit!

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014204 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Apr 2011 - 8:02 PM

When collecting Employment Insurance here in Canada, a claimant must fill out the forms and apply each month for the benefit, and also supply proof of job search. Other benefits are reviewed monthly as well.

keith selmes
28 Apr 2011 - 10:44 PM

I don't know if its been streamlined in the UK, but it used to be every two weeks, not so long ago.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Apr 2011 - 11:24 PM

Quote: I don't know if its been streamlined in the UK, but it used to be every two weeks, not so long ago

It still is, and each time you sign you have to show evidence that you are looking for work.

looboss
looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2011 - 12:25 AM

Quote: I don't know if its been streamlined in the UK, but it used to be every two weeks, not so long ago

It still is, and each time you sign you have to show evidence that you are looking for work.

yes I know, everybody looking, but not many actually wanting to work! they know where they are better off!

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2011 - 12:29 AM

Looboss that's not quite fair, yes there are scroungers, but there are also decent folk out there who are trying. You cannot tar them all with the same brush.

I even had someone write to me, an ex forces guy offering to work for two months for free. Some people are trying very hard to get work in a difficult climate.

Last Modified By strawman at 29 Apr 2011 - 12:31 AM
looboss
29 Apr 2011 - 12:34 AM

I can tar every single one that has approached me or that I have approached, and the vast majority 99.9% do not want to work, words from their own mouths, they will loose out so they say! they are of course deluding themselves.

Of course there are people out there who do want to work, it's them I look for, but life has gotten so cosy on the benefits and dole... why should they?

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2011 - 12:38 AM

you live in a different world from me then.

looboss
29 Apr 2011 - 12:46 AM

Quote: You live in a different world from me then.

I must do!

collywobles
29 Apr 2011 - 11:18 AM

Quote: Lol how could your son have lost out, the house was not available to rent out Smile

She was going to leave but she now refuses to go. So the owners now have to go through the court process to get her evicted. I guess the benefits system has forced this as if she leaves she will be deemed to have made herself homelss and therefore would not be entitltled to rehousing.

I have sympathy for her but our benefits system is out of touch with the real world.

Quote: I know, everybody looking, but not many actually wanting to work! they know where they are better off

A person at a camera club I belonged to was unemployed but knew he had to go for job applications and when he was interviewed he always told the interviewer that he was a Union Convenor in his prior job and did the company have a Union Convenor --- of course he never ever did get a job. He knew how to beat the system.

A per

Last Modified By collywobles at 29 Apr 2011 - 11:25 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.