Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Incredible...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2011 - 5:58 PM

Quote: She was going to leave but she now refuses to go. So the owners now have to go through the court process to get her evicted

What mother in her right mind is going to make herself and her children homeless, she`s following procedures that`s all.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Apr 2011 - 5:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles
29 Apr 2011 - 9:46 PM

Quote: What mother in her right mind is going to make herself and her children homeless, she`s following procedures that`s all.

My comments are not about this particular person or even my son's minor problem. I'm criticising a beneffits system that has gone mad. Paying in this instance 1500 plus a month rent to anyone is outragous when someone doing a full weeks work might be losing their house because they cannot afford to pay their mortgage.

Another example a single Mum had all her rent, council tax, gas & electric, water all paid by the state and then received 1700 a month in cash --- some people working dont even earn 1700 a month. The system is mad!

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2011 - 9:46 PM

How do you get your gas and electric paid then? Nobody has told me about that.

Hazelmouse
30 Apr 2011 - 10:35 PM

You don't I am afraid Anna. That is a misconception.

Nor, incidentally does someone in their seventies get Incapacity benefit. It is paid to those of working age.

Someone in their seventies may get Attendance Allowance - criteria are different.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139444 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2011 - 1:21 PM

In a part of NW London, it took 7 years to get a mentally-deranged woman evicted from a council property, even though she had caused utter misery to her neighbours for almost all of that period and they had all been clamouring, to the local council etc, for alternative accommodation (e.g. a mental hospital) to be found for her.

Once people get into a council property it is very difficult indeed to get them out. That is wrong. It is in a sense OUR property as taxpayers, and we have the right to have its occupation reviewed regularly.

Fishnet
2 May 2011 - 12:26 AM

That's what I thought.

Collywobbles, where did you get these figures from? Nobody has their utility bills paid for even if they are living totally on benefits and I have no idea how she would get 1700 a month.

cathal
cathal  10492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2011 - 12:31 AM

I love the "it's so easy being unemployed" type remarks and how "unemployed people have it so easy" sentiment.

In the past few years I've had my share of unemployment, and I can tell you that 64 a week does not give you a life of luxury. Frankly, it is so pathetic that you would take any job just to keep your head above water. With a mortgage, and kids, and an "income" of 64 quid a week, the only place you are going is down.

The "media" are great at publishing the sort of stories of how a person gets a house, car, two foreign holidays and a load of cash each month from the benefit system. If it is so prevalent and easy to obtain, perhaps they could produce a book we can all buy showing us how we can do the same? A sort of benefit cheating for dummies guide...

Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean its true. Just because its in the paper means its even less likely to be true!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014800 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2011 - 5:55 AM

You're all going to drive yourselves nuts with these stories.

SophieHart
2 May 2011 - 7:41 AM

Quote: I love the "it's so easy being unemployed" type remarks and how "unemployed people have it so easy" sentiment.

I agree. If it were so easy and profitable for the unemployed the employed would make the career move surely.

collywobles
2 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

Quote: Collywobbles, where did you get these figures from? Nobody has their utility bills paid for even if they are living totally on benefits and I have no idea how she would get 1700 a month.

OK, OK so I got the gas/electric wrong.

This single Mum was interviewed live and stated that she did get 1700 pm and that her rent was paid. She already had 5 children and she was pregnant with the 6th.

The interviewer acrually said to her that "you really are taking the mick" --- and she agreed with him. It was aTV programme on benefits and scroungers about 2-3 months ago.

Colin

JamesGarfield
2 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

Quote: I'm criticising a beneffits system that has gone mad. Paying in this instance 1500 plus a month rent to anyone is outragous when someone doing a full weeks work might be losing their house because they cannot afford to pay their mortgage.

Have to agree with you.

I'm guessing the 1500 a month lady was possibly living in London as that is the price of rents in large cities

Fishnet
2 May 2011 - 12:03 PM

Ahhh but you see how it happens, you've told us she was getting all her bills paid, people who know nothing about benefits assume that to be the truth, they then tell others and so on and so on until everyone thinks all single mothers are living the life of Riley.

I don't pay rent so I don't get housing benefit, if you own your own home you have to pay your mortgage out of your benefits. If you've tried to make a home for yourself and your kids that you can pass on to them and fall on hard times you are stuffed basically, if you rent, you get a free house with all repairs done for you. My house is semi derelict, we stripped it back to it's bare basics when we moved in and my husband was going to do all the repairs, now he has died I am living in a house that would be condemned if it was council property and there is NOTHING I can do about it, I have no money and I do not have the abilities to do building work or even basic DIY.

I no longer have anyone to sit with the kids whilst I pop out, I can no longer go to my photography club, I can't drive and live in a cut off area so I feel like I am in prison right now, I can't leave my immediate vicinity, ever, I can't even get to a supermarket.

There are no children's clothes shops here, I've just had to make Poppy's school dress.

I have no social life, no company in the evenings, no help with the house, no transport, no child care and God forbid the Government should give me the pittance they think is the minimum I need to raise 3 kids on my own as well and all because my husband got ill and died.

thewilliam
2 May 2011 - 12:05 PM

We've had single mothers, on benefits, come to the studio and many of them have been able to spend freely.

Those that play the system can do very well indeed. An employed person would have to be in a very well paid job to have more spending power. Anna needs to learn the "tricks of the trade".

I enjoy my work and don't have any plans to retire, so unemployment doesn't suit people like me. Thankfully, the majority of us don't have the gimme, gimme because it's my right .... attitude

Last Modified By thewilliam at 2 May 2011 - 12:08 PM
Fishnet
2 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

Do they walk in and announce they are single and on benefits??? How do you know?

I am claiming everything I am legally entitled to, not sure what the 'tricks of the trade' are? Illegal claims?

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102289 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2011 - 12:30 PM

Quote: It all makes for great headlines, but they don't seem to come up with any joined up answers to the problem.
If someone is alcoholic or a drug addict they can't hold down a job for any length of time.
If you cut their benefits you will see an increase in crime with a subsequent rise in prison population and policing costs.
Getting them on treatment plans seems like a sensible option.. only most of those are being cut and they are probebly more expensive than just paying the benefits.

Absolutely agree, oh wise one. Smile
The media makes a great song and dance about benefit scroungers but where are all the jobs coming from to take these people off benefit in the long term?
The fact is that for all the "idle scroungers" on benefit, there are many genuine claimants who will be forced into work that that they cannot properly do. As I understand it, private companies will assess if a disabled claimant is able to work or not therefore they will be encouraged to push unfit people into work in order to reach government targets. I'm nor being cynical - merely realistic.

Garth

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.