Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Indoor Ice Hockey w/ Nikon D80

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    hockeydad
    hockeydad  7
    21 Jan 2007 - 11:48 PM

hi, i'm a newby with a Nikon d80 w/ nikor 55-200 1:4 -5.6g lens trying to shoot my sons indoor ice hockey games. problems are i can't stop the action without it being too dark an image. My ISO SETTING IS auto 200 with 1/60 @ 5.6. I tried manuel ISO 800 but aperature will only go to 5.6
    I am looking for a compatiple lens that I can shoot at ISO 800 f/4 @ speed 100....ANY SUGGESTION WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
    THANKS from the hockeydad

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Jan 2007 - 11:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

wotashot
    wotashot  102249 forum posts
    21 Jan 2007 - 11:56 PM

For that sport f2.8 glass is the only real option to be honest. You may get away with something thats constantly f4 but better to shoot at f2.8 and freeze the action,

j

hockeydad
    hockeydad  7
    22 Jan 2007 - 4:58 AM

THANKS FOR THE REPLY,
    what lens would you suggest that is compatible with my
    nikon D80? thanks for your imput.

hockeydad

sk8mk
    sk8mk  7223 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Jan 2007 - 9:02 AM

well, i recentley did some ice hockey shots, and found it was harder than it looks, i had a canon 350D, with a sigma 70-300mm lens with a 2x tele converter. As i was up at the top of the stand, it is quite hard to get light and non blury images, i have a iso of around 1600 and appature of 4.0, i found that its best to experiment with different shutters. I have some pictures on my profile if you want to see some results.

Tom

User_Removed
    22 Jan 2007 - 9:55 AM

For that kind of situation, I would bump the ISO up as far as it would go - 1600 on a D80 I think... Even then you might struggle.

Quote: what lens would you suggest that is compatible with my
    nikon D80?

If you've got the money, then I'd suggest either the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 or the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8D at the lower end (you can pick them up around the 360 - 400 mark 2nd hand). Alternatively, the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR is the big budget, top end lens, but it'll cost ya!

Best bet is to go back and have another go with the ISO cranked all the way up. If you still don't have any joy, then try and find a place that'll rent you a lens to try... Have a play and see how much luck you have!

Strobekid
    Strobekid  7369 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Jan 2007 - 4:54 PM

Hi Hockeydad,

I use D80 as well. Sports photography, especially indoors ones, will require lots of cash, unfortunately. I have bought Nikon 70-300mm VR, and while that is good for slower moving people/actions outdoors, I struggled shooting indoor go cart last weekend (which is faster action than hockey, but still).

Ended up shooting at the closest corner with my 50mm F/1.8 lens. That came out pretty good - easily froze the action of the go-carts. I preferred the panned shot to accent the speed, though.

As Magicboy suggested, try renting a Sigma or the Nikon f/2.8 lenses and see if either will work for you. Good luck.

hockeydad
    hockeydad  7
    22 Jan 2007 - 8:41 PM

thanks everyone for the input. I will start researching lens' that were recommended. I also will try to crank up the ISO to to 1600 and will see what happens. I am assuming it will raise aperature when ISO higher. at any rate I am still hoping for more suggestions.

I will also try to find one to rent.

best regards, hockeydad

Strobekid
    Strobekid  7369 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Jan 2007 - 11:32 AM

Just to clarify, when you raise ISO, what you are doing is raising the sensor sensitivity to light, making it require less exposure time, meaning quicker shutter speed at the same aperture. I would assume as you are shooting action shots, you are shooting in shutter speed priority mode? In that case, raising ISO will not automatically adjust the aperture.

Set to the highest shutter speed with best balance between exposure/crispness? Also, shoot in RAW, and raise exposure in post process. This will probably give you the best results until you get yourself a new camera. Make sure to keep checking that histogram.

RickT
    RickT  7
    28 Jan 2007 - 4:24 PM

I have not shot ice hockey indoors before myself, surprising I know, considering I am in Canada. If I were to try, considering my lense options, I think I would try with ISO 1600 and shoot at F4 using my 70 - 300 Nikkor Zoom and as suggested prior, in raw format.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.