Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Indoor sports set up - af modes

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ray1
    ray1  10515 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Apr 2010 - 5:26 PM

I plan to do some indoor sports shots on a D200. When considering af modes what will be my best option. The subject will be judo so lots of moving a speed.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Apr 2010 - 5:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LensYews
    LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Apr 2010 - 7:47 PM

Single centre point is usually the most accurate with sports, maybe with left/right expansion for faster moving sports. For Judo you could use manual focusing at a present point depending on your depth of field requirements.

Remember to watch your white balance with the artifical lighting indoors and the competitors presumably wearing white and to use a nice fast lens - something like an 85mm/f1.4.

ray1
    23 Apr 2010 - 9:03 PM

I have been having focus issues with single area so was planing to set continuous focus with Dynamic/group/dynamic-closest but cant make my mind up which would be best. The light is really bad and even with 2.8 glass a flash is needed but focus has been the main issue.

Last Modified By ray1 at 23 Apr 2010 - 9:04 PM
    BigRick
    BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Apr 2010 - 10:52 PM

I would agree with single point focusing.... i always use this and have never had any problems.

ray1
    24 Apr 2010 - 8:17 AM

I always thought single point/area was for situations where the subject was unlikely to move.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 94038 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2010 - 8:28 AM

I always use single point as well, I set the point with expansion to where, for cycling, the riders head will be in the frame to get the face sharp.

ray1
    24 Apr 2010 - 8:51 AM

OK - always knew I should stick with things that dont move Grin

So, if single point is the way to go - I take it, it will be best to use continuous focus or not - also when would the other modes be best used.

I'm doing some portrait stuff tomorrow for my neice and think I will get the kids running round about to get some practice in whilst I am there.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 94038 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2010 - 9:23 AM

Personally I always use continuous focus when tracking cycling.

LensYews
    LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2010 - 12:26 PM

Single point is generally used because it allows the photographer more control over the focal point. I would use continuous focus with it as the camera is likely to be faster than you at keeping the precise focal point you've selected, but does mean you have to keep the focal point on the subject as they move. There's a discussion here on which AF mode to use on a d300 for martial arts, so you're not alone in this and there might be some tips there you can use.

ray1
    24 Apr 2010 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for that. Been driving me mad but I have to say I have learnt a lot researching this issue.

I think my set up will be

1. Continuous Focus
    2. Single area.
    3. Custom a1 set to focus.

As the lighting is beyond lens only use even with the iso cranked up I will have to use flash which is ok.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.