Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Inexpensive Waterproof Camera

11 Mar 2011 12:21AM
I have some really good equipment but I don't have any underwater equipment.
I want to try some underwater photography this year, not deep sea but still underwater.
I'm not sure how much so I was considering a relatively inexpensive underwater camera to start this project. This is how I run across the Canon Powershot D10.
Apparently it is waterproof to 33 feet.
I know it's inexpensive but I still want good quality shots.
Canon equipment has been good to me in the past.
Does anyone have any views on this camera that can help me decide if it's worth the few hundred dollars it's worth?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
11 Mar 2011 5:27AM
Most of the specialty cameras you're talking about don't match up to regular use cameras in the IQ dept, but you may be lucky and find a good one. If I were looking, my first place would be the Olympus Ebay store.
Bit_Blurry 4 79 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2011 7:45AM
Have you thought about underwater housings/bags for your current gear?
I have the same dilema. We're going to the Red Sea in a couple of weeks and would really like to have a go at some underwater photography.
The EWA Marine bag from "Underwater cameras" comes highly recommended (although it's expensive,) or there's the Aquapack at around 60.00.

Sadly the proper Nikon housing costs more than my car, and costs more just to rent than a car does too!
dlegros 12 217 England
11 Mar 2011 9:45AM
I would suggest looking at Cameras Underwater (Google them as I doubt a direct link would be allowed)

From 200 you can get a basic setup (compact camera and housing) and this is definitely the best way to go.

I started with the Mju 300 in a housing, then moved onto a Fuji FinePix F11 (also housed).

A properly housed camera is more protected and (if you decide to go that route) can be used deeper - my F11 has been down to about 40m in the Red Sea.

If you already have a compact, then check them out for a dedicated or compatible housing.

This was shot back in 2005 in Sharm

p9280011.jpg

The whole system tucked nicely away didn't get in the way of anything else Smile

me.jpg

HTH

Dom

EDIT: Just noticed you say "dollars" - if you're in the US then CU won't be much use, but there are plenty of suppliers in the US.
11 Mar 2011 11:19AM
Good advice- housing is the way to go, then I can use my existing equipment.
I'll visit the two biggest camera shops in town this weekend.
I would second the sentiments about Aquapac; their equipment is very well made (I know this from first-hand experience), and the range is comprehensive. One of the advantages of the materials they use is that they are supple and designed to be as unobtrusive as possible.

I know they have a base in the US as well as over here in the UK, so it might be well worth you checking out their website - www.aquapac.net.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.