Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Information wanted on wildlife of Scotland

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 93493 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    21 May 2010 - 9:03 PM

Hi...I'm planning a trip to Scotland...my first stop is a visit to the Farne Islands to hopefully get some shots of the puffins and other seabirds.

I'm told that a visit to Garten Loch could get me some shots of osprey's.

I am hopeing to make it as far as Rosemarkie for shots of the dolphins.

I would like to get shots of some eagles, where would I need to be ?

I'm told to go to Scone and the Cairngorms.....anyone any views or reccomendations of these or other areas.

thanks.....Mike

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 May 2010 - 9:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bppowell
    bppowell  122125 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    21 May 2010 - 9:14 PM

Loch Garten before the end of July/August I think for the Ospreys but you will also have Red Squirrels

I am going to Morvern in late June and according to the BBC this is the best place to see wild otters or Pine Martin.

Barry

da_nige
    da_nige  101153 forum posts Scotland
    21 May 2010 - 9:25 PM

Mike

What kind of Osprey shots are you after?

Neil

KBan
    KBan  9457 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
    21 May 2010 - 9:25 PM

Good Luck in the Farnes Mike

Keith

MikeRC
    21 May 2010 - 9:56 PM

Cheers Barry...I'm thinking last week in June first in July.
    Morvern may be a tad too far for me....good luck

Quote: What kind of Osprey shots are you after?

Hi Neil...ideally pin sharp, frame filling shots with a 150-500 lens....but I'll take what I can get.....Grin

Cheers Keith...you too when you go.

.....Mike

Lynx08
    Lynx08 e2 Member 61233 forum postsLynx08 vcard England
    21 May 2010 - 10:08 PM

We went to loch garten but the view was only through a scope. We also went to loch of lowes which is good too with lots of other smaller birds. You need to try Mull for eagles mind you got a great sighting in the lake district a couple of years ago at the services at Tebay. Look on google maps, you can trackthe eagles so tryfor the best place to go. Also, check out the Scottish Wildlife Trust web site for all types of birds etc. Sorry to go on but I'm Scottish and love my heritage!
    Lyn

da_nige
    da_nige  101153 forum posts Scotland
    21 May 2010 - 11:13 PM

Mike

I've sent you a PM

Neil

JohnParminter
    22 May 2010 - 6:06 AM

There are Sea Eagles on Skye, organised boat rips etc but not sure how close you'll get to photograph them.

There is a nesting pair of Ospreys on Bassenthwaite near keswick but again not sure you can get close to them to photograph as there is a centre with scopes to view when they are here.

JP

MikeRC
    1 Jun 2010 - 8:08 AM

Thanks all.....Mike

User_Removed
    2 Jun 2010 - 9:08 AM

Very good facilities for red kites at Argaty, between Doune and Dunblane. It's a bit artificial in that the birds are held by "feeding stations" but if that doesn't worry you, then give it a go.

For ospreys, give SWT a ring and see what they suggest. Their reserve at Loch o' the Lowes is good for watching the birds but I am not sure how suitable for photography. They might suggest a better option.

landandlight
    2 Jun 2010 - 1:03 PM

Every time I've been down Glen Noe I've seen Eagles. I've witnessed them picking off lambs and terrorising young deer off the cliffs of Cruachan. If you want to see eagles you have to get off the beaten track.

John_Wannop
    John_Wannop e2 Member 952 forum postsJohn_Wannop vcard Wales
    2 Jun 2010 - 6:55 PM

Try the Isle of Mull, I was there for the first two weeks of May and had a great time. If you want Eagles one of the best places to try is Loch Na Keal ,on one day there were eight immature white tailed sea eagles at the end of the loch just hanging around on the beach being mobbed by the gulls, at the same time there was a golden eagle in the air and an otter swimming past in the loch. If you want close up pictures of the Sea Eagles on Mull get in touch with Mull charters they do Eagle feeding off the back of a boat and you're guaranteed some excellent views. and if you want pictures of otters try behind the miniature railway at Craignure they are quite regular and this year there was a female adult and 1 cub plus the dog otter doing regular patrols.

John

pc8o2217.jpg

Last Modified By John_Wannop at 2 Jun 2010 - 6:56 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.